We do not compromise with the fait accompli of the occupation, Interior Minister says

We do not compromise with the fait accompli of the occupation, nor do we accept partition as a solution, the Minister of Interior, Konstantinos Ioannou, said on Saturday, on the sidelines of an event of remembrance and honour for the fallen of 1974, held in Serres, Greece.

The Ministry of Interior said in a press release that during the event those who gave their lives defending the Republic of Cyprus, from Serres, Greece and Cyprus, were honoured.

Ioannou stressed that ‘fifty-two years later, the Greek Cypriot community continues to experience the tragic consequences of the barbaric Turkish invasion. Fifty-two years later, the refugees cannot return to their ancestral homes. Relatives continue to worry and await the determination of the fate of their missing persons. It is an open wound for the Cyprus issue. Fundamental human rights are being violated.’

‘Despite the obstacles, despite all the difficulties, despite all the disappointment, Greek Cypriots continue to fight for liberation. We do not compromise with the fait accompli of the occupation, nor do we accept partition as a solution. Our position is firm and unchangeable. Our goal is the liberation, the reunification of Cyprus, the liberation from the occupation troops and the anachronistic guarantees,’ the Minister underlined.

In this process, he said, ‘beyond the support from our European partners and the international community, above all we have the timeless, undivided, unwavering support of Greece and the Greek people, who for 52 years have been by the side of Cyprus.’

Asked to comment on the significance of the Greek frigate’s mission to Cyprus last March, Ioannou noted that in addition to the sense of pride that we experienced as Greek Cypriots, this act had an essential goal and mission to defend Cypriot Hellenism against possible attacks. ‘So, in addition to the symbolic value, it also had a practical contribution to the defence and defensive armouring of Cyprus,’ the Minister of Interior said.

The Minister of Interior represents the Government at the events organised on the occasion of the anniversaries of the 1974 coup and the Turkish invasion by the Consulate General of the Republic, the organised groups of Cypriots abroad and local authorities. Tomorrow, Ioannou will be the keynote speaker at the annual national memorial service for those who fell during the coup and the invasion organised in Thessaloniki.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

After informal meetings in 2025, followed by a hiatus of several months, deliberations are underway for a new meeting in broader format to be held, as the term of the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres nears its end. María Angela Holguín, Guterres’ Personal Envoy on Cyprus, is tasked to engage with the parties.

#CT#General/CT#

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *