The main opposition United Workers Party (UWP) has called on Prime Minister Phillip J Pierre to remove Housing, Local Government and Urban Renewal Minister Richard Frederick from the cabinet after he was questioned by police last week.
Last Thursday, Frederick confirmed he is the subject of a police investigation, but that he ‘has nothing to fear’. Appearing on his weekly television programme ‘Can I Help You,’ the 60 year-old attorney and former police officer, told viewers that he had been ‘greeted by a barrage of police officers ‘ at his home soon after he had awakened.
‘And I asked why, they told me I cooperated with them. They did what they had to do and told me, you know, they need to see me at the station. I accompanied them to the police station.
He said ‘when I heard all the allegations, I knew in my heart of hearts…that in a nutshell, Richard has nothing to fear.
‘In a nutshell. I don’t wanna go into everything because obviously, the police are conducting their investigations and I don’t want in any way, shape or form to compromise the integrity of the investigations.’
But while he did not tell viewers the reasons behind the police investigation, Frederick said ‘what I do know is this man you see there, call me what you want, call me this, call me that, but there are certain things I don’t cross boundaries on, never and never will, okay.
‘I don’t cross those boundaries. I have five daughters, five,’ he said, confirming that the police were investigating ‘certain allegations’ against him.
Opposition Leader Allan Chastanet ina July 13, 2026 letter to Prime Minister Pierre noted that ‘the appropriate course of action is clear.
‘Richard Frederick must be removed forthwith from his ministerial post, pending the completion of all investigations. The people of St. Lucia deserve a Government that places integrity above politics, accountability above expediency, and the national interest above self-preservation. St. Lucians deserve nothing less.’
Chastanet said that public office is built on public trust and that ‘a Minister who is the subject of allegations of this magnitude cannot credibly continue to exercise the authority of the State while investigations remain ongoing.
‘His continued presence in the Cabinet creates an unavoidable perception of conflict, undermines public confidence in the impartiality of the investigative process, an erodes trust in the institutions of Government’.
Chastanet wrote that ‘at this radical juncture, with our country continuing to appear on undesirable international lists, we can ill afford further scandal-least of all one rooted in allegations of such flagrant corruption’.
The government has already indicated its ‘respect for the independence’ of the police and the ‘rule of law’ and that it remains ‘committed to ensuring that all lawful processes proceed without interference and in accordance with the Constitution and the Laws of St. Lucia’.
According to a statement issued by the Office of the Prime Minister, the government ‘remains committed to transparency, accountability, and keeping the public appropriately informed as official information becomes available’
The brief government statement said that it had been notified that Frederick ”had been detained for questioning as part of an ongoing matter and subsequently released.
‘As this remains an active process, we will not comment on issues that may prejudice or interfere with any lawful process.’