The European Commission clarified on Tuesday, through its spokesperson Louise Bogey, that Executive Vice-President of the European Commission and EU Special Representative for Cyprus Raffaele Fitto will engage with all relevant stakeholders and interlocutors, in order to prepare the ground for the resumption of negotiations and to support a comprehensive and lasting solution, including through building trust among all stakeholders and interlocutors, specifying that this concerns, in particular, both Cypriot communities.
Speaking at the midday press briefing, the spokesperson responded to a question about complaints from the Turkish Cypriot side that it had not been consulted in advance regarding Fitto’s appointment, and about claims that the EU claims a role without engaging with one of the two sides and replied that “the EU remains firmly committed to the reunification of Cyprus in accordance with the relevant UN Security Council resolutions and in line with the principles, values and legislation of the EU.”
She added that Fitto, as Special Representative for Cyprus, “will contribute to the settlement process within the UN framework, in close collaboration with the UN Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy on Cyprus, Maria Angela Holguín Cuéllar,” noting that his appointment was also based on extensive contacts with relevant interlocutors.
On his part, Commission deputy spokesperson, Olof Gill, described Fitto as “an experienced politician with a wealth of relevant experience in governance, regional cooperation and institutional dialogue,” stressing that he was appointed “because we believe he has the skills and the experience to move things forward” – a commitment that, he said, remains a priority for the European Union.
No developments emerged from the questions on the Commission side regarding possible meetings between Fitto and the UN Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy on the Cyprus issue, Maria Angela Holguín. However, diplomatic sources told CNA that such a meeting could take place in July.
The same sources noted the significance of Fitto’s appointment to play this role, his proximity to European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, and the influence he wields among his colleagues. It was further noted that his familiarity with European affairs and the human/political landscape will allow him to quickly build his team and begin cooperation with Holguín, bringing his knowledge of European issues to bear.
Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results due to Turkish intransigence. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.
After informal meetings in 2025, followed by a hiatus of several months, deliberations are underway for a new meeting in broader format to be held, as the term of the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres nears its end. María Angela Holguín, Guterres’ Personal Envoy on Cyprus, is tasked to engage with the parties.