NSCDC sanctions 79 personnel, exonerates mining commander

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps has sanctioned 79 personnel for various offences.

The NSCDC Commandant-General, Ahmed Audi, disclosed this during a press briefing on Wednesday at the corps’ National Headquarters in Abuja.

Audi, represented by the corps’ spokesperson, Babawale Afolabi, said disciplinary proceedings involving 75 personnel had been concluded, while four others were undergoing administrative processes over separate allegations.

He said the sanctioned personnel included one Assistant Commandant-General, two Deputy Commandants, 35 other senior officers and 37 junior officers.

According to him, the offences included job racketeering, illegal recruitment, financial misconduct, sabotage, theft, negligence, dishonesty, absenteeism and other breaches of service regulations.

The Commandant-General also revealed that 37 personnel were dismissed after disciplinary proceedings.Audi said the dismissed personnel included two Mining Marshals operatives, who have been recommended for prosecution over the February operational incident that claimed the life of their commander in Nasarawa State.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the two dismissed operatives of the Mining Marshal Unit were unlawfully providing illegal miners with firearms.

‘Their actions constituted grave misconduct, negligence and indiscipline,’ Audi said.

Audi said investigations cleared the Mining Marshals Commander, John Onoja, the lead prosecutor and other management team members of alleged complicity.

‘Allegations suggesting otherwise were found to be false and without factual basis,’ he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *