The Federal Fire Service (FFS) has extinguished a fire involving a petroleum tanker laden with about 60,000 litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) at AYM Shafa Filling Station in Area 3, Garki, Abuja.
The incident occurred while the tanker was discharging its petroleum product at the filling station, located beside the FCT Internal Revenue Service (FCT-IRS) office along Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Way.
The fire also affected part of an adjoining three-storey building belonging to the FCT-IRS before firefighters deployed coordinated emergency response operations to bring the situation under control.
The FFS, in a statement issued by Paul Abraham, spokesperson, Deputy Controller of Fire (DCF) , said four adult males sustained various degrees of injuries in the incident.
According to the Service, the injured persons were immediately evacuated from the scene by an ambulance operated by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
It said the four victims received medical attention and were subsequently discharged from the hospital.
‘The Federal Fire Service (FFS) confirms that the fire incident involving a petroleum tanker at AYM Shafa Filling Station, beside the FCT-IRS Office, along Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Way, Area 3, Garki, Abuja, has been successfully extinguished,’ the statement said.
The Service disclosed that Olumode Adeyemi, Controller-General of the Federal Fire Service, who served as the Incident Commander, personally coordinated the firefighting and emergency response operations at the scene.
Adeyemi, according to the FFS, remained at the location until the early hours of Friday to ensure that the fire was completely brought under control and that the area was safe.
Firefighters deployed multiple firefighting appliances, medium water jets and foam compounds during the operation to prevent the fire from spreading and to contain the petroleum-related blaze.
Following a thorough inspection of the scene after the fire had been extinguished, the FFS said its personnel confirmed that there was no further outbreak of fire and no additional casualty.
The Service also confirmed that all firefighters and emergency responders who participated in the operation, as well as the firefighting appliances deployed to the scene, returned safely to their respective stations.
The FFS commended residents, motorists and other members of the public for their patience, cooperation and compliance with safety directives issued during the emergency operation.
It said the cooperation of the public helped emergency responders to carry out their duties effectively and minimise the risk of further incidents during the firefighting operation.
The Service also acknowledged the contributions of other emergency response agencies that participated in the operation, particularly the FCT Fire Service, NEMA and the Nigeria Police Force, as well as other supporting organisations.
The FFS said the collaboration among the agencies was instrumental to the successful management and containment of the incident.
The Controller-General also commended the firefighters and other emergency responders for what he described as their courage, professionalism, discipline and commitment to protecting lives and property.
Meanwhile, the Federal Fire Service said an investigation had commenced to establish the immediate and remote causes of the incident.
The investigation, it added, would examine the circumstances surrounding the fire and provide information needed to strengthen preventive measures and reduce the possibility of similar petroleum-related emergencies in the future.
The Service reaffirmed its commitment to protecting lives, property and critical national assets through prompt, professional and coordinated emergency response operations.
It also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and comply with established safety measures, particularly around filling stations and other facilities where petroleum products are stored, handled or dispensed.