LTO personnel fired, loses license over ‘drunk’ hit-and-run

A Land Transportation Office (LTO) employee who allegedly hit two pedestrians with his car and fled the scene in Rizal has been fired and permanently banned from driving, according to the agency.

In a press conference on Tuesday, LTO Chief Markus Lacanilao said he ordered the employee’s dismissal and the filing of administrative cases after finding that he had been driving under the influence of alcohol in Antipolo City last Friday.

Lacanilao also ordered the perpetual revocation of the employee’s driver’s license.

‘You are from LTO and yet you drove drunk and fled? You were already blocked by police, and you still fled,’ he said.

‘We do not tolerate our own people. If we need to send them to jail, we will send them to jail,’ he added, noting that the suspect is currently detained in Antipolo.

In a statement, the Rizal Police Provincial Office said the 39-year-old male suspect was driving a sedan when he struck two women along Sumulong Highway in Barangay Sta. Cruz late at night.

He sped away but was eventually caught and turned over to police custody after an off-duty cop witnessed the incident and chased the suspect.

Police also said the suspect is facing criminal charges for reckless imprudence resulting in physical injury and abandonment of one’s own victim.

The LTO chief also announced the dismissal of two other LTO employees involved in separate hit-and-run and illegal counterflow cases.

Lacanilao said he sacked an employee in Cebu who hit a cyclist with an agency patrol car and failed to stop to assist the victim. An employee in the Cagayan Valley region was also fired after being caught counterflowing without an emergency.

Lacanilao warned LTO employees against committing similar offenses, citing a ‘no tolerance’ policy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *