Turkiye condemns drone attacks on merchant ships in Black Sea

Turkiye’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has expressed serious concern over drone attacks targeting commercial vessels owned by Turkish businesses in the Black Sea, AzerNEWS reports.

According to a statement released by the ministry, the merchant ships Yasar and Nadejda came under attack on August 3 after departing Russia’s Port of Novorossiysk.

Several crew members, including Turkish nationals, were injured in the incident.

The ministry emphasized that ensuring the safety and security of Turkish citizens remains a top priority, adding that the condition of the injured is being closely monitored.

Ankara also voiced growing concern over the continued expansion of military hostilities between Russia and Ukraine into the Black Sea, warning that the conflict is increasingly affecting civilian maritime traffic.

The Foreign Ministry cautioned that, unless preventive measures are taken to curb the escalation, the deteriorating security situation could have serious consequences, including threats to global food security.

Pakistan offers to host renewed US-Iran negotiations in Islamabad

Pakistan has invited senior Iranian negotiators to visit Islamabad as soon as possible to discuss the resumption of suspended direct talks with the United States and diplomatic efforts to resolve tensions, AzerNEWS reports.

According to Pakistani media, Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar discussed regional and international issues during a phone call with his Iranian counterpart, Abbas Araghchi. The Iranian foreign minister also briefed Pakistan’s foreign policy chief on talks between Tehran and Muscat aimed at restoring navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.

Meanwhile, Pakistan National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq invited Iran’s chief negotiator, Bagher Ghalibaf, to visit Pakistan. However, no exact date has been set for the Iranian officials’ visit to Islamabad.

The latest contacts came after US President Donald Trump on Saturday called off planned military strikes against Iran. Trump said US allies had urged him to postpone the attacks and that reaching an agreement was inevitable.

On Monday, Pakistani government sources said that no date or location had yet been determined for the resumption of suspended direct talks between the two sides. They added that Pakistan and Qatar were in contact with Washington and Tehran to determine the date and venue for the direct negotiations.

Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan begin official transfer of border villages

Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan have begun the organizational and technical procedures required for the official transfer of the villages of Chon-Kara and Tash-Dobo, which previously belonged to Uzbekistan’s Fergana Region, as part of their border demarcation agreements.

AzerNEWS reports that a joint working group that started operations on August 3 is registering residents and carrying out the necessary documentation process in the two villages.

Once the registration process is completed, the approximately 2,500 residents-most of whom are ethnic Kyrgyz-will be granted Kyrgyz citizenship.

Under the terms of the agreement, Kyrgyzstan will compensate Uzbekistan by transferring an equivalent area of land, completing a key step in the implementation of the two countries’ border settlement deal.

Houthis strike Saudi Arabia’s Najran Airport with drone

Yemen’s Houthi movement has claimed responsibility for a drone strike targeting Najran Airport in southern Saudi Arabia, AzerNEWS reports.

According to a statement published on the official Telegram channel of the Ansar Allah movement, the attack was carried out using an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

The Houthis said the strike was launched in response to what they described as Saudi Arabia’s use of drones to violate Yemeni airspace over the Saada and Hajjah governorates.

“We declare that any violation of our airspace will not go unanswered,” the group said in its statement.

The claim has not been independently verified, and Saudi authorities had not immediately commented on the reported attack.

Wildberries expands in Kazakhstan

Wildberries is continuing to strengthen its presence in Kazakhstan by constructing two major logistics centers in Almaty and Astana with a combined area of more than 260,000 square metres, AzerNEWS reports.

The announcement was made by Kazakhstan’s Minister of Trade and Integration, Arman Shakkaliyev, during a government briefing.

According to the minister, the largest facility is being built in Almaty and will cover approximately 160,000 square metres, while a second logistics complex of around 100,000 square metres is under construction in Astana. Both projects are expected to be completed and become operational in the first quarter of 2027.

At present, Wildberries operates in Kazakhstan by leasing around 46,000 square metres of warehouse space. The new logistics hubs will significantly increase the company’s storage capacity, allowing it to process orders more efficiently and reduce delivery times for customers across the country.

Shakkaliyev also noted that the Ministry of Trade and Integration has not received any official requests from Wildberries regarding the construction of additional warehouse facilities beyond the two projects currently underway.

The expansion reflects the rapid growth of e-commerce in Kazakhstan, where demand for online shopping continues to rise. Larger logistics centers are expected to improve supply chains, create new jobs, and support local businesses by making product distribution faster and more efficient.

Kyrgyzstan bans cremation

Kyrgyzstan has officially banned the cremation of human remains following the signing of amendments to the country’s law “On Burial and Funeral Services” by President Sadyr Japarov, AzerNEWS reports.

Under the new legislation, all legal provisions allowing the burial of urns containing human ashes have been removed, while previous regulations recognizing cremation as a method of human burial have been declared invalid.

The revised law introduces a new definition of “cremation,” limiting the term exclusively to the sanitary incineration of biological materials generated through medical activities. As a result, crematoriums are now legally defined as specialized facilities used for the thermal disposal of medical biological waste rather than for the cremation of deceased individuals.

The amendments also clarify procedures for the burial of unidentified or unclaimed bodies, as well as aborted and stillborn fetuses. According to the law, these remains will be buried by specialized funeral services in designated sections of cemeteries with the approval of the relevant internal affairs authorities.

In addition, a separate section of the legislation now regulates the establishment and operation of crematoriums, specifying that such facilities may only be used for the sanitary destruction of biological materials produced by medical institutions.

The changes reflect Kyrgyzstan’s traditional and religious approach to funeral practices. As a predominantly Muslim country, burial has long been the customary method of laying the dead to rest, while cremation has remained extremely rare. Supporters of the amendments say the new law brings the legal framework into line with the country’s cultural and religious traditions, while also providing clearer rules for the handling of medical biological waste.

Vietnam Days brings vibrant cultural showcase to Baku [PHOTOS]

Culture has become one of the strongest pillars of Azerbaijan-Vietnam relations, serving as a bridge between the two nations and fostering closer people-to-people ties.

Artistic exchanges, exhibitions, concerts, academic forums, and student exchange programs continue to deepen mutual understanding while introducing audiences in both countries to each other’s rich cultural traditions.

One of the most prominent examples of this cooperation is Vietnam Days in Baku, a festival that showcases Vietnamese music, traditional crafts, cuisine, fashion, and performing arts. Since its launch in 2023, the festival has introduced Azerbaijani audiences to Vietnam’s cultural heritage while providing a platform for artists, academics, and cultural institutions to strengthen bilateral cooperation.

Now in its fourth edition, Vietnam Days has become an established fixture on Baku’s cultural calendar and an important platform for promoting friendship and cultural dialogue between Azerbaijan and Vietnam.

The 2026 edition was organized by the Embassy of Azerbaijan in Vietnam with the support of the Icherisheher State Historical and Architectural Reserve Administration, the Vietnam National Academy, and several Vietnamese companies.

As part of this year’s festival, a concert featuring Vietnamese artists was held in the square in front of the Double Gates of the Old City (Icherisheher).

Before the concert, visitors explored an exhibition of Vietnamese handicrafts, traditional souvenirs, and national cuisine, offering a glimpse into the country’s rich cultural heritage.

Addressing the audience, Honored Artist Dilara Aliyeva said cultural ties between Azerbaijan and Vietnam have grown steadily stronger in recent years. She described Vietnam Days as an important platform for promoting the cultural heritage of both countries, expanding cooperation between artists, and strengthening the longstanding friendship between the two nations. According to her, such initiatives contribute to greater mutual understanding and encourage intercultural dialogue.

The Rector of the Hanoi College of Trade and Tourism, Trinh Tri Thu Ha, also emphasized the steady development of bilateral relations. She noted that cultural projects, alongside cooperation in other fields, help reinforce mutual trust and broaden ties between Azerbaijan and Vietnam. Describing Vietnam Days as a successful and well-established tradition, she expressed confidence that similar initiatives would continue in the future, opening new opportunities for cultural cooperation.

The concert featured performances on traditional Vietnamese musical instruments, while opera singers presented excerpts from Uzeyir Hajibayli’s celebrated operetta “The Cloth Peddler” in Vietnamese, earning warm applause from the audience.

The concert concluded with a warm reception from the audience, reflecting growing public interest in Vietnamese culture.

Events such as Vietnam Days continue to strengthen cultural cooperation and bring the people of Azerbaijan and Vietnam closer together.

Iran seeks deal with Oman to ensure safe passage through Hormuz

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said that Tehran is seeking to reach an agreement with Oman to ensure the safe passage of vessels through the Strait of Hormuz, AzerNEWS reports.

“Over the past seven or eight days, talks with Oman have continued consistently. During discussions with regional and non-regional parties, Iran’s foreign minister emphasized that the purpose of the talks between Iran and Oman is to prevent escalation and safeguard Iran’s national interests,” Baghaei said.

He noted that Iran is initially working through consultations with Oman and with the cooperation of the country to establish a temporary route to ensure maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman added that the talks between Iran and Oman are discussions between the two coastal states. According to him, other parties may play either a constructive or provocative role in the process, but the issue primarily concerns Iran and Oman, and decisions on the next steps should be made accordingly.

“The necessary condition for reopening the Strait of Hormuz is reaching an agreement on ensuring the safety of navigation in the strait. However, this condition alone is not sufficient. The Strait of Hormuz has faced problems not because of disagreements between Iran and Oman, but as a result of attacks by the United States and Israel on Iran since late February. As long as US attacks against Iran continue, there will be no change in the situation surrounding the Strait of Hormuz,” Baghaei stressed.

Sabah’s potential opponents to be decided in UEFA Champions League draw

The draw for the UEFA Champions League play-off round will take place on August 3, AzerNEWS reports.

Azerbaijani champions Sabah will learn their potential opponents during the ceremony.

The draw ceremony will begin at 14:00 Baku time in Nyon, Switzerland.

Before reaching the play-off stage, Sabah must overcome Denmark’s AGF Aarhus in the third qualifying round.

The first legs of the UEFA Champions League play-off round are scheduled for August 18-19, with the return matches to be played on August 25-26.

The UEFA Champions League is a continental tournament that brings together the best teams from Europe’s top domestic leagues.

It is widely regarded as the pinnacle of club football, attracting millions of fans worldwide.

Clubs from UEFA’s member countries compete for the title, which is seen as the ultimate achievement for European club teams.

The 2026/27 UEFA Champions League is actively underway, having kicked off its qualifying rounds in July 2026.

The tournament will feature 36 teams in the league phase, culminating in the final at the Estadio Metropolitanoin Madrid, Spain, on June 5, 2027.

Ancient 2,500-year-old statue unearthed in Turkiye

A marble statue of a young man, believed to be around 2,500 years old, has been discovered in the ancient city of Sardis in Turkiye’s Manisa Province. The discovery was announced by Turkish Minister of Culture and Tourism Mehmet Nuri Ersoy, AzerNEWS reports.

The 2.2-meter-tall statue dates back to the first half of the 5th century BC and is considered a remarkable example of ancient Anatolian art. Researchers noted that its impressive size, excellent state of preservation, and detailed clothing – which contains features associated with Lydian culture – provide valuable insights into the artistic traditions, social structure, and daily life of the period.

According to experts, the statue could help historians better understand the transition between the Lydian civilization and the growing influence of Greek culture in the region. Sardis was once the capital of the powerful Kingdom of Lydia and was known as one of the wealthiest cities of the ancient world. It was also the place where the first known coins made from electrum, a natural alloy of gold and silver, were created.

Minister Ersoy described the find as a unique archaeological discovery that will contribute significantly to the study of Anatolia’s ancient history. Archaeologists believe that further research at the site may reveal more information about the people who lived in Sardis thousands of years ago.

The discovery adds another important piece to the history of one of the most influential ancient cities of the Mediterranean world and highlights Turkiye’s continuing role as a center of archaeological exploration.