Smotrich says renewed US-Iran war is ‘best scenario’ for Israel

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has described the renewed conflict between the United States and Iran as the most favorable scenario for Israel, saying it serves Israeli interests as long as the country does not become directly involved in the fighting, AzerNEWS reports.

Speaking on Tuesday in remarks carried by Kan News, Smotrich said, “Israel has no interest in joining the campaign – the current situation is the best for us.”

The comments came after the United States resumed military strikes against Iranian targets earlier this month, prompting retaliatory Iranian attacks on US assets across the region. Israel has not taken part in the latest round of hostilities.

Smotrich said Israel’s long-term objective remains the weakening of the Iranian government, arguing that the ultimate goal should be to undermine the regime to the point of its collapse.

He also stated that damaging Iran’s economy would be the most effective means of achieving that objective.

Smotrich, a leading figure in Israel’s far-right government, has previously advocated for the occupation of Gaza, the establishment of Israeli settlements in the enclave, and the expansion of Israeli military control.

IEA notes concerns about security of oil supply

International Energy Agency (IEA) Executive Director Fatih Birol said on Tuesday that the renewed hostilities in the Middle East increase concerns regarding the security of oil supply and uncertainty about the market outlook, AzerNEWS reports.

He noted that threats to close the Bab el-Mandeb Strait add to the issues already facing the Strait of Hormuz.

Birol said the oil market still benefits from several mitigating factors, including “significant supplies” from Gulf states via alternative routes, increased exports from countries including the United States, Brazil, Venezuela and Kazakhstan, China’s reduced imports and the IEA’s ongoing emergency stock releases.

However, he warned that commercial inventories continue to fall and that refinery activity and product supplies “have not picked up as much as crude deliveries.”

NASA estimates nuclear Mars mission at $2.1B

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (NASA) planned nuclear-powered mission to Mars is expected to cost approximately $2.1 billion, excluding the scientific project it will transport to the planet, Politico reported on Tuesday, AzerNEWS reports.

“Early cost estimates are approximately $2.1 billion, and NASA will continue refining that figure through the acquisition process,” the agency confirmed in a statement. NASA intends to spend $640 million in fiscal 2026, $890 million in 2027, $415 million in 2028, and $180 million in 2029. The estimate does not include SkyFall, which will send three helicopters to Mars to collect scientific data and search for potential water sources.

NASA aims to launch Space Reactor-1 Freedom in late 2028 and is working with the US Department of Energy to design and assemble the reactor, as it also works to return astronauts to the Moon and build a lunar outpost. The spacecraft will reuse equipment developed for the canceled Gateway lunar station.

First trailer released for new documentary about country’s cultural heritage

The trailer for the documentary “The Abode of Paradise” has been released, AzerNEWS reports.

The film was produced by AzernyuMedia under the presentation of Azerbaijan Culture Ministry, in partnership with ICESCO and the Real Analysis Information Center. The documentary has a runtime of 45 minutes.

The Abode of Paradise is the first audiovisual production created within the framework of the “Azerbaijani Culture-2040” Concept. Blending documentary storytelling, music, and ethnographic elements, the film aims to showcase Azerbaijan’s rich cultural heritage and traditions.

The film was written and directed by Kamran Gasimov, with Arif Zeynalov serving as director of photography. The original score was composed by renowned Azerbaijani composer Siyavush Karimi.

The project’s consultants are Mir Shahin Aghayev and Jamil Guliyev. Elchin Shukur served as the film editor, while Samir Asadov and Ugur Safarov were responsible for sound supervision.

Traditional bayati performances featured in the film are performed by Ilaha Murad, and Sevinj Khalilova served as the film’s finance director.

The official trailer for “The Abode of Paradise” is now available for viewing via the link provided by the filmmakers.

YUDASHKIN House to present closing runway show at Azerbaijan Fashion Week

On July 22, YUDASHKIN House will close Azerbaijan Fashion Week with the presentation of its new demi-couture collection, AzerNEWS reports.

The collection embodies the aesthetics of the mid-20th century, the culture of elegant social occasions, and the decorative arts of different eras.Together,these influences create the image of a woman who is intellectual, independent, and impeccably elegant.

YUDASHKIN House’s participation in Azerbaijan Fashion Week is more than a runway presentation-it marks the brand’s entry into a new market, an opportunity to connect with new clients, and a long-awaited meeting with those who have been anticipating the House’s arrival in Azerbaijan.

‘Azerbaijan Fashion Week is a place where new names emerge while established fashion houses with rich histories come together. It is especially meaningful for us to be here in this context-alongside emerging talents, engaged in a dynamic professional dialogue, and moving with the spirit of the times. YUDASHKIN House continuously observes the contemporary world and evolves with it while remaining true to its unique DNA,’ says Galina Yudashkina, Creative Director of YUDASHKIN House.

The event will take place at Sea Breeze, a vibrant destination that reflects today’s lifestyle, where fashion, technology, real estate, and culture coexist.

‘YUDASHKIN House views fashion beyond the traditional boundaries of the industry. For us,fashion is part of a broader artistic and cultural landscape that exists at the intersection of art,tourism, real estate development, and new experiences. That is why participating in projects like Azerbaijan Fashion Week is a natural extension of our philosophy and an important step in our international growth,’ notes Pyotr Maksakov, Managing Partner of YUDASHKIN House.

Alongside Azerbaijan Fashion Week, the House will present its couture creations, the YUDASHKIN ready-to-wear collection, and introduce visitors to its beauty line at Dome.

Media partners of the event are Azernews.Az, Trend.Az, Day.Az and Milli.Az.

President Ilham Aliyev awards Rauf Abbasov – decree

President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has signed a decree on awarding Rauf Abbasov with the 2nd Class Order “For Service to the Motherland”.

The text of the document was published on the official website of the President of Azerbaijan.

According to the decree, Abbasov has been awarded the 2nd Class Order “For Service to the Motherland” in recognition of his long-standing and productive contributions to Azerbaijan’s media sector.

Ortega says Nicaragua will no longer hold elections, promises opposition will never return to power

Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega has declared that the country will no longer hold elections, saying political forces backed by the United States would never again be allowed to take power, AzerNEWS reports.

Speaking in his first public appearance in two months, the 80-year-old leader said there would be “no more elections” in Nicaragua in which opponents could “seize power and control the government.”

“There will be no more elections here in which they can try to seize power and control the government. The days when parties that rely on the support of the Yankees and the Somozas can return to power are over and will never return,” Ortega said, referring to supporters of former President Anastasio Somoza, who was overthrown in 1979.

Ortega also announced that his government, together with the National Assembly, would introduce a package of laws aimed at preventing what he described as “coup supporters and traitors” from returning to power.

Ortega has governed Nicaragua since 2007, having previously served as president from 1979 to 1990. His current term is due to expire next year.

The country’s most recent presidential election was held in 2021 after several prominent opposition figures and business leaders were arrested. International observers and human rights organizations criticized the vote as neither free nor fair, while opposition political activity remains effectively prohibited.

The administration of US President Donald Trump has described Ortega’s government as a dictatorship. Washington has imposed sanctions on more than 2,350 Nicaraguan officials and their family members.

Germany becomes top European destination for Israelis relocating abroad

Germany has emerged as the leading European destination for Israelis relocating abroad, following a record number of departures from Israel in 2024, according to OECD data, AzerNEWS reports.

The figures show that 82,700 people left Israel during the year, marking the highest annual level of emigration on record.

Analysts attribute Germany’s growing appeal in part to its citizenship laws, which allow many descendants of Holocaust survivors to obtain German citizenship through simplified procedures.

According to reports, applications for German passports by eligible Israelis have increased despite continued concerns over antisemitism in Germany.

The statistics are clear: according to Germany’s Interior Ministry, a total of 2,485 Israeli citizens were naturalized in Germany in 2021. By 2024, that number had increased to 4,275. Additionally, the German tabloid Bild noted that 202 Israeli citizens were granted German citizenship in Berlin alone in 2024, which is approximately three times the number from just a few years earlier.

Two legal provisions contribute to these figures. Under Article 116(2) of Germany’s Basic Law, individuals who were stripped of their German citizenship between 1933 and 1945 are entitled to have it restored, and this right also extends to their descendants.

Since 2021, Section 15 of the Nationality Act has also been in effect. This section benefits those who never held German citizenship because, as victims of Nazi persecution, they were prevented from acquiring it initially. According to Germany’s Federal Office of Administration, these claims are neither time-limited nor restricted to specific generations.

While most applications initially fell under the traditional Article 116(2) route, the new provision under Section 15 has now surpassed it. The Interior Ministry reported that 2,185 cases were processed under Section 15 in 2024.

Azerbaijan, Serbia strengthen military cooperation [PHOTOS]

Pursuant to the Bilateral Military Cooperation Plan signed between the Ministries of Defense of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Republic of Serbia, a delegation from the Ministry of Defense of Serbia paid a visit to Azerbaijan, AzerNEWS reports.

During a meeting at the Institute of Military Management under the National Defense University, the delegation was presented with a briefing on “Geopolitical Aspects of the Conflict,” highlighting the experience gained during the 44-day Patriotic War. The delegation was subsequently provided with comprehensive information on the military education system and training process within the Army.

The meeting also featured an exchange of advanced practices regarding the military education systems of both countries, and contemporary approaches applied in this field. In addition, the sides held detailed discussions on other issues of common interest.

At the conclusion of the meeting, the sides exchanged commemorative gifts and a group photo was taken.

UN: Global hunger declines, but progress remains fragile

Global hunger declined for the third consecutive year in 2025, demonstrating that progress is possible. However, the gains remain fragile and are far too slow to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030, AzerNEWS reports.

It was presented in the latest edition of the “State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World” (SOFI) report, published by five United Nations agencies.

Estimates show that 7.8 percent of the world’s population, or approximately 645 million people, experienced hunger in 2025. This is around 43 million fewer people than in the previous four years. While Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean have recorded steady improvements in recent years, Africa is currently home to the largest number of people facing hunger. In 2025, approximately 309 million people on the continent were undernourished, compared with 292 million in Asia. Although the prevalence of hunger in Africa declined from 20.3 percent in 2024 to 20.0 percent the following year, rapid population growth means that the continent now has the largest absolute number of people suffering from hunger.

Broader measures of food access tell a similar story. In 2025, an estimated 25.8 percent of the global population (around 2.1 billion people) experienced moderate or severe food insecurity, meaning they were at times forced to compromise on the quality or quantity of the food they ate. This is down from 27.1 percent in 2024 and 28.7 percent in 2020 – equivalent to nearly 86 million fewer people than in 2024 and 135 million fewer than in 2020, though still above pre-pandemic levels.

According to the report, although there was some progress in reducing global hunger in 2025 compared with 2020 and 2024, the level remains higher than before the pandemic.

In Africa, more than half of the population – 56.6 percent – experienced moderate or severe food insecurity in 2025. The figure was 20.3 percent in Asia, 22.9 percent in Latin America and the Caribbean, and 8.7 percent in North America and Europe.

The UN also highlighted the impact of conflict, climate change and rising costs on global hunger. The annual SOFI report is published by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the World Food Programme (WFP) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

The agencies warn that conflicts in the Middle East, increasingly extreme weather conditions, and declining official development assistance and humanitarian funding could undermine recent progress toward ending global hunger.