CRICKET-WIS/PAK-Fazal ruled out of West Indies series with injury

Pakistan’s top-order batter Abdullah Fazal is set to miss the upcoming two-match Test series against Pakistan after sustaining a lower back injury.

According to a statement from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Fazal was injured during a training session on Thursday at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, the venue for the opening Test that bowls off on Saturday.

The PCB statement did not specify how the injury was sustained during the training session, but said that ‘following an MRI scan and clinical assessment, the team’s medical panel confirmed that Abdullah will require a period of rehabilitation.’

The injury will come as a significant blow at this early stage in Fazal’s career, who had an opportunity to consolidate his position in the national side on two high-profile away tours. Following the two Tests in West Indies, Pakistan travel to England for a three-Test series in August.

The 23-year-old emerged in recent months as one of Pakistan’s brightest prospects since making his debut against Bangladesh in May, where he scored half-centuries in each innings.

In Pakistan’s tour game against a West Indies Select XI earlier this week, he was unbeaten in both innings, scoring 50 and 48, and was a guaranteed starter for the first Test.

The PCB has not yet named a replacement for Fazal.

Fazal’s absence paves the way for middle-order batter Awais Zafar to make his debut, while Imam-ul-Haq, who missed Pakistan’s most recent Test against Bangladesh is now expected to regain his spot as opener.

CANANEWS AND SPORTS SCHEDULE AT 1200 ECT

The following is the CANANews and SPORTS Schedule for Friday, July 24, 2026.

GEORGETOWN – Divers have returned to the site of the sunken MV Barima on Friday hoping to retrieve bodies as the death toll has risen to 72, President Irfaan Ali has said.

PORT OF SPAIN – Two Venezuelan nationals, including a five-year-old child, have died after a pirogue carrying 29 people overturned off Los Iros Beach, on the south coast of Trinidad, during an illegal sea crossing to Venezuela on Wednesday.

PARAMARIBO – Public Health, Welfare and Labour MInister, André Misiekaba, is calling for an urgent and national approach to suicide after figures released by the police show a significant increase in cases in the month of June.

PORT OF SPAIN – Chairman of the main opposition People’s National Movement (PNM), Marvin Gonzales, has burnt a copy of the High Court ordered unexplained wealth order granted to the Trinidad and Tobago Police last week, saying it ‘was born in sin and it was shaped in political iniquity’.

ROSEAU – The Dominica government says it will commission its 10-megawatt geothermal power plant on July 31 as the country continues with efforts to transition to a cleaner, more resilient energy sector.

SPORTS:

PORT OF SPAIN – West Indies head coach Daren Sammy has maintained that the recent performances of both Joshua Bishop and Kirk McKenzie merit their selection to the West Indies squad for the upcoming Test series against Pakistan.

CARIBBEAN-AVIATION – Sunrise Airways launches Antigua-Barbados route to boost regional travel

Regional carrier, Sunrise Airways has officially launched a new direct service between Antigua and Barbuda and Barbados, with tourism and aviation officials describing the route as a major step towards improving regional connectivity and strengthening economic ties across the Caribbean.

The inaugural flight arrived at Grantley Adams International Airport shortly after noon on Wednesday, marking the start of the airline’s twice-weekly service between the two destinations.

Sunrise Airways Chief Executive Officer Gary Stone said the new route reflects the airline’s ‘One Caribbean’ vision of creating stronger links between islands while expanding opportunities for tourism, trade, business and family travel.

‘We are strengthening commercial, tourism and cultural ties while promoting economic growth and deeper integration as a Caribbean community,’ Stone said.

Founded in 2010 by Haitian former pilot Philippe Bayard, Sunrise Airways began operations in 2012 and has expanded its regional network, offering scheduled passenger and charter services across the Caribbean, North America and Central America.

Stone said the airline now serves 20 destinations and has transported millions of passengers, highlighting its continued commitment to regional aviation.

Barbados’ Minister of Tourism and International Transport Ian Gooding-Edghill welcomed the new service, saying it would provide a boost to intra-regional tourism.

‘The Caribbean remains Barbados’ third largest source market,’ he said, noting that the island welcomed more than 102,000 Caribbean visitors last year.

Gooding-Edghill said the new route represents more than an additional flight, describing it as ‘a vital step forward in deepening the bonds of our Caribbean family and strengthening intra-regional travel connectivity.’

He said improved air links are critical to supporting tourism businesses, encouraging investment and keeping Caribbean families connected.

The minister also highlighted the wider benefits of Sunrise Airways’ expanding network, noting that passengers from Barbados will gain easier access to destinations including Haiti, the British Virgin Islands, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Martin, St Vincent and the Grenadines, and the Turks and Caicos Islands.

He added that the airline’s connections to US cities, including Boston, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Newark, could create additional opportunities to strengthen Barbados’ international connectivity.

Sunrise Airways operates a fleet that includes turboprop aircraft, regional jets and Airbus A320 aircraft, allowing the airline to serve both short regional routes and longer international connections.

ATHLETICS-CARIFTA-Guyana to host 2027 CARIFTA Games, Barbados to play host in 2028

Guyana has stepped forward to host the 2027 CARIFTA Games, just one week after St Kitts withdrew its bid to host the Caribbean’s top athletic sporting event.

Guyana’s decision to host the Games was revealed by the North American, Central American and Caribbean Athletic Association (NACAC) on Thursday, which also announced that Barbados had taken responsibility to host the Games in 2028.

The news comes exactly one week after St Kitts pulled out of hosting the 2027 Games, with the St. Kitts-Nevis Athletics Association and the St. Kitts and Nevis Olympic Committee citing that it was ‘not the most ideal time’ for the island.

NACAC Athletics said the commitments followed the swift intervention and support of the CARICOM Heads of Government.

‘On behalf of the NACAC Athletics Council, officials, and athletes of the NACAC Athletics family, I wish to thank the CARICOM Heads for their swift and positive response in support of the CARIFTA Games,’ NACAC Athletics President Mike Sands said during a media briefing.

‘I especially thank President Ali of Guyana and Prime Minister Mottley of Barbados for agreeing to host CARIFTA 2027 and 2028. This secures the immediate future of what is arguably the world’s premier junior athletics event.’

NACAC is expected to engage the relevant authorities in Guyana and Barbados to support early planning for both editions while continuing discussions with CARICOM leaders on a more sustainable framework for athletics and major youth sporting events in the Caribbean.

JAMAICA-CRIME- Child protection agency horrified by rape and murder of 10 year old girl

Jamaica’s Child Protection and Family Services Agency (CPFSA) says it is ‘horrified and deeply saddened’ by the rape and murder of a 10-year-old girl whose body was found along a dirt track in the northern parish of Trelawny earlier this week.

The child has been identified as Shani Coke, also known as ‘Kaja.’

The agency said the tragedy is another painful reminder that too many Jamaican children continue to be victims of horrific violence at the hands of adults who should be protecting them.

‘Every child has the right to grow up in a safe, nurturing environment where they are protected, valued and given the opportunity to realise their full potential,’ the CPFSA said.

Chief Executive Officer Laurette Adams-Thomas expressed condolences to Shani’s family and the wider Troy community, saying the agency is mourning alongside them.

‘Each time a child is abused or murdered, our society has failed,’ Adams-Thomas said.

According to police, Shani was walking home from a nearby shop shortly after midday on Tuesday when she was abducted. Her body was later discovered by a farmer searching for one of his cows after hearing unusual sounds coming from nearby bushes.

Following the discovery, an angry mob attacked a father and son after accusing the son of raping and killing the child. Police said the son was beaten, chopped and stoned to death, while his father was also assaulted and remains hospitalized.

Adams-Thomas condemned the mob killing, saying ‘jungle justice’ is not an appropriate response.

She said CPFSA first responders are in the community assessing whether other children connected to the family require immediate protection and evaluating the psychosocial needs of the victim’s relatives. The agency said it stands ready to provide support and continues to work closely with the Jamaica Constabulary Force as investigations continue.

The CPFSA is urging anyone with information that could assist the investigation to cooperate with the police.

TRINIDAD-COURT – Appeal Court orders expedited hearing in Hadeed detention challenge

Trinidad and Tobago’s Appeal Court has ordered an expedited hearing of the judicial review and constitutional challenge brought by businessman Dominic Hadeed and his wife, Genevieve, over Preventive Detention Orders (PDOs) issued against them during the State of Emergency.

The ruling came after attorney Gerald Ramdeen, representing the State, told Justices of Appeal Eleanor Donaldson-Honeywell and Joan Charles that, while the State was not consenting to the application, it was not opposing an expedited hearing in light of the couple’s continued detention and fresh medical evidence indicating that Dominic Hadeed’s health has deteriorated.

Ramdeen said the new medical evidence justified urgent consideration of the case and argued that it would be more beneficial for the matter to proceed quickly before the High Court than continue with the procedural appeal.

The Appeal Court subsequently ordered that the judicial review and constitutional claim be given accelerated and urgent treatment.

The Hadeeds had appealed a July 17 decision by High Court Justice Vigel Paul to adjourn the proceedings until mid-September.

The latest ruling comes one week after another panel of the Appeal Court ordered that the couple be released from prison and placed under house arrest. However, they remain at the Golden Grove Prison after a separate panel, led by Chief Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh, stayed that order pending the State’s appeal to the London based Privy Council.

The Privy Council has since advised that the appeal cannot be heard before October, meaning the Hadeeds are expected to remain in custody until at least September 17, when the State of Emergency expires, unless the stay is lifted.

Also being held under a Preventive Detention Order is 70-year-old Star Sabga, a relative of the Hadeeds, whose constitutional challenge is scheduled to be heard before the High Court on Friday

FOOTBALL-JAMAICA-JFF confident of co-hosting 2031 Women’s World Cup

President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Michael Ricketts strongly believes the country will be awarded the rights to co-host the 2031 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Last October, Jamaica along with the USA, Mexico, and Costa Rica launched a joint bid to host the 2031 tournament.

While an official announcement from FIFA is expected in November, Ricketts said he was confident Jamaica’s bid would be successful.

Last month, Sports Minister Olivia Grange told Parliament the island had been selected as one of the hosts, although FIFA has yet to officially confirm the successful bid.

Hosts were initially expected to be confirmed at the FIFA Congress in Canada in April, but the world governing body postponed the announcement until November 23.

In an interview with the Jamaica Observer, Ricketts said he was optimistic Jamaica would create history by being chosen.

‘When the FIFA team came here, we had intense discussions with the contractors who would be doing the renovation and the refurbishing of the National Stadium, and they would have done a presentation which, based on the body language from the FIFA reps, we’re pretty satisfied and pretty confident that we will be in a position to host the Women’s World Cup in 2031.

‘Minister Grange did make an announcement in Parliament. She was pretty confident and so am I, and I want to believe that we will be one of the four countries that will be hosting the 2031 Women’s World Cup,’ Ricketts said.

A FIFA delegation visited the island in February, inspecting facilities including the National Stadium and meeting with JFF representatives and the Government.

The redevelopment of the National Stadium, which is intended to meet FIFA standards, is expected to begin in July or August 2027, with United Kingdom-based Ryder Architecture and global consulting firm CAA Icon currently completing the detailed design phase, after the feasibility study and concept design.

Jamaica has never hosted a FIFA tournament, but it has staged several Concacaf competitions, most notably the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, becoming the first Caribbean nation to do so.

UNITED STATES-IMMIGRATION – Haitian group welcomes push for House vote on Dream and Promise Act

The San Diego-based Haitian Bridge Alliance (HBA) has welcomed a move by Texas Democratic Congresswoman Sylvia Garcia to force a US House vote on the bipartisan American Dream and Promise Act.

Garcia has launched a discharge petition that, if signed by 218 House members, would bypass Republican leadership and bring the legislation to the floor.

HBA Executive Director Guerline Jozef said the bill would provide long-overdue protections for Dreamers, Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders and Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) recipients.

‘These individuals have worked, raised families, paid taxes, and strengthened this country,’ Jozef said. ‘Congress must act to ensure families are not torn apart and provide a permanent path forward.’

The legislation would create a pathway to citizenship for eligible Dreamers and allow qualifying TPS and DED recipients to obtain lawful permanent resident status. It has previously passed the House with bipartisan support in 2019 and 2021.

Garcia said the measure is urgently needed, arguing that Dreamers and longtime TPS holders are increasingly at risk of detention and deportation under the Trump administration.

The initiative has also received backing from Congressional Black Caucus Chair Yvette Clarke, Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chairman Adriano Espaillat, and immigration advocacy group FWD.us, all of whom urged lawmakers from both parties to sign the petition and allow the House to vote on the legislation.

CRICKET-HUNDRED-Matthews stars but MI London go down in opener

West Indies Women’s captain Hayley Matthews topscored for MI London Women, but her team still went down by seven wickets to Sunrisers Leeds Women in the opening match of the Women’s Hundred here on Tuesday.

Matthews hit 33 off 22 balls with four fours and one six in her side’s below par score of 107 for eight after they were sent in to bat at Kennington Oval.

Matthews and fellow opener Danni Wyatt-Hodge, who scored 29 off 20 balls, shared an opening stand of 56 off 37 balls, but once Deepti Sharma got the breakthrough by holding on to a return catch to dismiss Matthews, MI London’s batting faltered, with Melie Kerr, who scored 13, the only other batter to get into double digits.

Fellow West Indian, Chinelle Henry made just six off 11 balls.

Hannah Baker (2-16), Dani Gibson (2-17), and Sharma (2-20), all took two wickets.

Phoebe Litchfield then scored a quickfire 43 off 26 balls, while Annabel Sutherland hit an unbeaten 30 off 23 balls to lead Leeds Women to 109 for three with 31 balls to spare.

The two added 57 runs for the third wicket off 36 balls, following the early losses of Bryony Smith and Jess Jonassen, that reduced them to 24 for two.

Both Henry and Matthews went wicketless in their 15-ball spells.

BARBADOS-HEALTH – Barbados weighs national colorectal cancer screening programme

Barbados is considering the introduction of a national colorectal cancer screening programme as part of efforts to improve early detection and reduce cancer-related deaths, Prime Minister Mia Mottley has announced.

Speaking at the St. Philip Ideas Forum earlier this week, Mottley said the Ministry of Health is assessing the cost and logistics of implementing the programme but has not yet given final approval.

‘I know that the Ministry of Health is looking at it,’ she said. ‘They are trying to settle the numbers both in terms of the cost, the individual unit costs, and the overall scope of the programme.’

The announcement came after gastroenterologist Dr. Marek Stobinski urged the government to prioritize colorectal cancer screening, warning that the disease is increasingly affecting younger adults. He cited the recent diagnosis of colorectal cancer in an otherwise healthy 40-year-old patient, stressing that early detection can prevent the disease from spreading.

‘In the early stage, we can remove polyps in about 15 minutes and prevent them from developing into cancer,’ Stobinski said.

Mottley underscored the importance of screening, recalling the 1999 death of Barbados and West Indies cricket legend Malcolm Marshall from colon cancer at age 41. She said routine colonoscopies and the removal of precancerous polyps can dramatically reduce the risk of developing the disease.

St. Philip North Member of Parliament and physician Dr. Sonia Browne said follow-up care for patients identified as high risk remains a challenge but argued that screening and early intervention are far more cost-effective than treating advanced cancer.

Mottley also said the government is examining the potential introduction of GLP-1 anti-obesity medications, including drugs such as semaglutide and tirzepatide, as part of a broader strategy to reduce chronic diseases.

While acknowledging the high upfront cost of the medications, she said they could lower long-term healthcare spending by reducing obesity-related complications such as diabetes, amputations and kidney disease.

‘We’re not going to end up being penny wise and pound foolish, but we will be strategic in our deployment of resources to help people help themselves and to save lives,’ Mottley said.