Cyprus a valued partner of the US Rubio says, congratulating for independence anniversary

The Republic of Cyprus is a valued partner of the United States, said State Secretary Marco Rubio in a written statement by which he congratulates the people of Cyprus for the 65th anniversary of the Republic’s independence.

The State Secretary also underlined that his country is committed to a Cypriot-led, UN-facilitated comprehensive settlement “to reunify the island as a bizonal, bicommunal federation with political equality for all Cypriots.”

He noted that the bilateral collaboration “increases commercial trade, combats illicit financial flows, and strengthens regional security allowing citizens of both our nations to prosper.”

“We are especially grateful for the Republic of Cyprus’s assistance in securing the safety of U.S. citizens in crisis zones, one of our highest priorities,” Rubio said.

“We are also committed to a Cypriot-led, UN-facilitated comprehensive settlement to reunify the island as a bizonal, bicommunal federation with political equality for all Cypriots,” he concluded.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

UNSG met with the two leaders President Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader, Ersin Tatar, last week in New York city. A fresh informal meeting in an extended format on Cyprus will probably take place in November, following two such meetings that took place earlier this year in Geneva and New York. In the meantime his personal envoy Maria Angela Holguin is expected in Cyprus the next weeks to prepare the new meeting.

Kaklamanis says Cyprus-Greece need to remain united in struggle for reunification

Greece and Cyprus must remain united in the struggle for liberation and reunification of the island President of the Hellenic Parliament, Nikitas Kaklamanis said on Wednesday, in statements after the military parade in Nicosia on the anniversary of Cyprus’ independence.

He noted that in order to achieve the independence of Cyprus, thousands of Greek Cypriots had to sacrifice their lives.

Kaklamanis added that in honor of their memory, Greece and Cyprus must unite more than ever in the struggle to achieve the national goal, which cannot be other than reunification, withdrawal of Turkey’s occupation troops, finding all missing persons and achieving the immediate release of five Greek Cypriots ‘arrested’ on July 19 by the ‘authorities’ of the illegal regime in occupied Cyprus.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

Athens sends wishes to Cyprus on independence anniversary, reiterates commitment to BBF solution

The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs has extended its warmest congratulations and best wishes to the Republic of Cyprus on the anniversary of its declaration of independence, in a post on social media, reiterating Athens’ commitment to a settlement of the Cyprus issue based on a bi-zonal, bi-communal federation, within the framework of the relevant UN Security Council resolutions.

“Greece, in agreement with the Republic of Cyprus, remains committed to a comprehensive and mutually acceptable solution based on a bi-zonal, bi-communal federation, within the framework of the relevant UN Security Council Resolutions,” the Ministry said.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

Greek Deputy Defence Minister hails presence of F16 jets in Cyprus parade

The presence of F-16 Viper jets over Cyprus during the military parade demonstrates once again the unified defence doctrine between Cyprus and Greece said Deputy Minister of National Defence of Greece, Thanasis Davakis, who represented Athens in the parade for the island’s independence day, that took place on Wednesday, in Nicosia.

In press statements after the parade, Davakis noted that he feels emotional because he is today in Cyprus and stressed that he is proud to commemorate with a sense of heavy historical responsibility and duty, Cyprus’ 65th anniversary of independence.

He went on to say that today we remember all those who fought for the freedom of the nation and especially the fallen ones, adding that we also remember that Cyprus’ Hellenism stood tall in every difficulty with self-denial, faith in democratic values and international law.

Referring to the Cyprus-Greece ties, he noted that they are historical, unbreakable and indestructible. Davakis said that both countries are determined for the common struggle to achieve a comprehensive, mutually acceptable, just and sustainable solution to the Cyprus problem.

??e Greek Deputy Minister also said that Cyprus’ reunification and withdrawal of the illegal Turkish occupation troops are the goal to be achieved through a solution based on the bizonal, bicommunal federation with political equality of Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots, as defined by the relevant UN resolutions.

He also noted that the anniversary for Cyprus’ independence is not just another historical anniversary, but a living historical landmark for Cyprus, a symbol of courage and endurance and, at the same time, a response to those who attempt to undermine its sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

Kaklamanis says Cyprus-Greece need to remain united in struggle for reunification

Greece and Cyprus must remain united in the struggle for liberation and reunification of the island President of the Hellenic Parliament, Nikitas Kaklamanis said on Wednesday, in statements after the military parade in Nicosia on the anniversary of Cyprus’ independence.

He noted that in order to achieve the independence of Cyprus, thousands of Greek Cypriots had to sacrifice their lives.

Kaklamanis added that in honor of their memory, Greece and Cyprus must unite more than ever in the struggle to achieve the national goal, which cannot be other than reunification, withdrawal of Turkey’s occupation troops, finding all missing persons and achieving the immediate release of five Greek Cypriots ‘arrested’ on July 19 by the ‘authorities’ of the illegal regime in occupied Cyprus.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

Cyprus celebrates the 65th anniversary of the declaration of its independence

Cyprus celebrates on Wednesday the 65th anniversary of the declaration of its independence.

In the framework of the celebrations, a military parade will take place at 0900 in Nicosia. President of the Republic, Nikos Christodoulides, will take the salute, flanked by the House President Annita Demetriou, the President of the Hellenic Parliament, Nikitas Kaklamanis, the Minister of Defence, Vassilis Palmas, Greece’s Deputy Minister of National Defence, Thanasis Davakis, and the Chief of the National Guard, Lieutenant General Georgios Tsitsikostas.

The parade will be held on Iosif Hadjiosif Avenue, with the participation of various units and aircraft of the National Guard, the Cyprus Police, the Fire Service, the Civil Defence, the Department of Forests and the Public Health Services.

Ambassadors and Defence Attachés of foreign countries and other officials will also attend the military parade which is open to the public.

The parade will begin with a 21-gun salute.

Before the parade President Christodoulides, was scheduled to attend a memorial service and lay a wreath at the Imprisoned Graves, lay a wreath at the statue of Archbishop Makarios III at the Presidential Palace courtyard, and attend a memorial service and lay a wreath at the Democracy and Resistance ?onument, at the Presidential Palace Park.

The 9th Ocean Report reveals critical state, now we have the tools to act Kadis says

The ninth Ocean State Report, published today by the Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service of the EU’s Earth Observation System, was presented by the European Commission, with Commissioner for Fisheries and Oceans, Costas Kadis, underlining that “the data is the basis for action” and that “now we have the tools to transform observation into solutions”.

The report reveals the critical state of oceans, as every corner is now threatened by climate change, biodiversity loss, and pollution. The findings are alarming, confirming that ocean health is deteriorating at an unprecedented rate. Key observations include global sea temperatures reached a record high of 21°C, with devastating impacts on marine ecosystems.

Marine heatwaves in 2023 and 2024 saw ocean temperatures exceed previous records by over 0.25°C, threatening fisheries and coastal economies. Meanwhile, sea levels have risen by 228 millimeters since 1901, putting 200 million Europeans in coastal areas at risk, along with UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

During the 2023 Mediterranean heatwave, rising temperatures facilitated the spread of invasive species such as the Atlantic Blue Crab and Bearded Fireworm, pushing local fisheries to the brink of collapse. Additionally, Arctic sea ice recorded four consecutive all-time lows between December 2024 and March 2025, losing an area nearly twice the size of Portugal.

Commissioner Kadis, commenting on the report’s findings, stated: “The conclusions of the Ocean State Report reveal a difficult but essential diagnosis. The triple planetary crisis-climate change, biodiversity loss, and pollution-is no longer a future threat but a present reality in our ocean basins.”

“This means we have taken the first necessary steps, as data is the foundation of effective action. In line with the Ocean Pact’s Ocean Observation Initiative, we are leveraging the power of the European Digital Twin of the Ocean-a cutting-edge tool built on marine data from Copernicus Marine and EMODnet-to transform data into predictability, allowing us to move from observation to solution,” Kadis added.

The Commissioner highlighted that “now we can simulate the spread of invasive species, forecast the impact of heatwaves on fish stocks, and test the effectiveness of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) before implementing them. These tools are crucial for a resilient and sustainable blue economy,” he added. “The ocean is sending us a clear signal; we are now better equipped to answer it,” Commissioner Kadis concluded.

On his behalf, Commissioner for Defence and Space Andrius Kubilius emphasized the importance of the Copernicus system as the world’s leading Earth observation tool, stating: “As an owner of Copernicus, the most unique Earth observation system, the Union is able to monitor the state of the Earth’s environment and its subsystems. The Copernicus infrastructure and services constitute a world-class capacity allowing the Union to have a leading role in observing and forecasting different ocean state parameters.”

Mr. Kubilius also highlighted that “the Commission is committed to the continuity and evolution of Copernicus, ensuring that Europe’s Earth observing capacity is all-encompassing, bringing together public and private actors and capacities alike. The space economy is all about unleashing the power of space systems and services to offer solutions in different policies and market sectors.”

Cyprus ranks 2nd in Europe for improved air connectivity, says Deputy Minister of Tourism

Cyprus has been ranked second in Europe for improving its air connectivity between 2019 and 2025, according to the June 2025 report of the Aviation Council International, Deputy Minister of Tourism Kostas Koumis said on Monday.

Speaking at an event in Larnaca Castle to mark World Tourism Day, Koumis said that Cyprus continues to record positive results in tourist arrivals and revenues, while the sector leaves ‘a positive footprint on local businesses – a factor of particular importance for the government.’

He noted that promising signs are emerging from special forms of tourism and from off-peak months, which are showing marked improvement in arrivals and revenue. Extending the tourism season, he stressed, is key to achieving year-round tourism.

This year’s World Tourism Day theme, ‘Tourism and Sustainable Transformation,’ highlights the need for a universal shift toward sustainability, Koumis said. He warned that the effects of climate change are felt more acutely in the Mediterranean, where temperatures are rising 20% faster than in other regions, making adaptation harder for countries like Cyprus.

‘Our responsibility is greater, and so is the need to join forces between the public, semi-public, and private sectors,’ he said. Tourism, he added, must evolve into a sustainable model, requiring a change in mindset, investment in knowledge, and institutional reforms where needed.

Koumis outlined the ministry’s priorities, including strengthening individual destinations and infrastructure, enhancing hospitality in rural and mountain areas, upgrading training programs, and investing in sustainability and digital transformation. Artificial intelligence, he noted, will increasingly shape the industry, with the ministry already planning joint initiatives with the Deputy Ministry of Research and Innovation.

Koumis also announced a new project with the Cyprus University of Technology to document the history of Cyprus tourism. Through academic research, interviews, and historical data, the initiative aims to highlight how the past can guide the sector’s future development.

‘Despite the many adversities of the past three years, Cyprus tourism has not only returned to strong performance levels but stabilized them,’ Koumis said.

He noted that the main responsibility now lies in ensuring a smooth transition to the next phase of tourism, guided by the principles of sustainability, respect for the environment, and sound economic management.

Cyprus President to participate in Copenhagen informal EUCO, EPC meeting

Cyprus President, Nikos Christodoulides, is to participate in the informal European Council which will be held on October 1 and 2 in Copenhagen, where he is to hold a series of meetings, among others, with Switzerland’s President, the NATO Secretary-General and Denmark’s Prime Minister.

In a written statement, the Director of the resident’s Press Office, Viktoras Papadopoulos, notes that, early in the afternoon of October 1, President Christodoulides will participate in the Council meeting, about EU Security and Defence, while later he will take part in the discussion on the situation in Ukraine.

In the evening, President Christodoulides is to attend the dinner hosted by the Danish royal couple in honour of the leaders of the states participating in the European Political Community.

On October 2, the President of the Republic will participate in the Plenary of the European Political Community, and in the debate on economic security.

Later on, President Christodoulides is to hold separate bilateral meetings with the President of Switzerland Karin Keller-Sutter, NATO Secretary General, Mark Rutte, the President of Moldova, Maia Sandu, as well as with Albert II, Prince of Monaco.

He will then attend the closing proceedings of the Plenary.

On Friday, October 3, in the morning, President Christodoulides will have a meeting with Denmark’s Prime Minister, Mette Frederiksen, followed by expanded talks between the delegations of the two countries.

The President will be accompanied in Copenhagen by the Deputy Minister for European Affairs, Marilena Raouna, the Director of the Presidential Press Office and other officials.

Nicosia welcomes Trump’s proposal as a vital step to end the war in Gaza

Cyprus has welcomed US President, Donald Trump’s proposal, as a vital step to end to the war in Gaza, release of all hostages and secure humanitarian aid in massive scale.

“It is critical for all parties to accept its parameters as the way forward. We reaffirm the urgency of lasting peace and security for both Israelis and Palestinians alike, based on the two-state solution”, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a post on X.

Cyprus commends the US’ leadership and mediating efforts, pointing out that, as part of the region, it will continue to responsibly support all diplomatic efforts to this end, the MFA added.