Jewellery Firm Drags Donewell Insurance To Court

ELOK and Sons Limited, a jewellery retailer based in Sekondi-Takoradi, has filed a writ at the High Court in Sekondi against Donewell Insurance Limited for an alleged breach of insurance agreement.

The jewellery firm is accusing the insurer of failing to honour obligations under a fire and burglary policy covering stock valued at $3 million.

The plaintiff is seeking damages for the alleged breach of contract following the theft of its jewellery inventory in September 2025.

According to the plaintiff’s statement of claim, ELOK and Sons purchased a combined Fire and Burglary Insurance Policy from Donewell Insurance in August 2025 after the insurer conducted an inspection of the company’s premises and stock.

It contends that the inventory was valued at $3 million based on prevailing international market prices, with the plaintiff paying a premium of $4,266.

The company alleges that its jewellery stock was stolen during a burglary on September 1, 2025, after which it promptly notified the insurer and subsequently submitted a police investigation report.

However, the plaintiff contends that the claims process was characterised by delays, with investigators visiting the premises on separate occasions before the insurer formally communicated with the company in November 2025.

According to the statement of claim, Donewell Insurance later requested additional documentation and information relating to the insured stock.

The plaintiff, through its lawyers, challenged the requests, arguing that they were unreasonable and inconsistent with the terms under which the policy had been issued.

The suit alleges that subsequent exchanges and meetings failed to yield a resolution, leading the company to conclude that the insurer did not intend to honour the contract.

The case, now before the High Court in Sekondi, underscores the importance of claims management and contractual obligations within Ghana’s insurance industry, where timely settlement of claims remains critical to maintaining confidence in the sector.

Donewell Insurance has subsequently been served with the writ and yet to file its defence at the time of filing this report.

7-Year-Old Boy Found Dead In Galamsey Pit

A seven-year-old boy who left home recently at Humjibre in the Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai Municipality of the Western North Region and did not return, has been found dead in an illegal mining or ‘galamsey’ pit in the area.

According to information gathered, community members organised a search for the boy identified as Franklin Obeng Boateng, aka Junior, but their efforts proved unsuccessful.

The case was subsequently reported to the Sefwi Bekwai Police Command.

The search party later found the boy’s lifeless body in an abandoned galamsey pit, where he was believed to have drowned.

The Assembly Member for the Humjibre Electoral Area, Enock Nkrumah, confirmed that the little boy left home but failed to return.

‘This prompted his family and some residents to launch a search for him. They searched tirelessly for the boy but all their efforts proved unsuccessful,’ he noted.

He said the search ended when the boy’s lifeless body was discovered submerged in water in an abandoned galamsey pit.

‘The body was retrieved from the pit, and following consultations between the police and the bereaved family, arrangements were made for his burial,’ he told journalists.

The tragic incident has reignited concerns over the growing number of abandoned galamsey pits across mining communities in the area.

The residents have therefore called for urgent measures to reclaim and secure such dangerous sites to prevent more innocent persons from losing their lives.

I Will Establish Effective Structures To Win 2028 Elections – Afoko

Aspiring National Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Awentami Paul Afoko, has assured party delegates that he will establish effective party structures to enable the NPP return to power in 2028 if elected National Chairman.

Mr. Afoko said the NPP needs robust grassroots structures to reclaim power from the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the upcoming 2028 general election.

‘The Electoral Commission will not place polling stations at our national or constituency NPP offices but in the communities. Our people living close to those stations must be empowered to protect the ballots, because power is won at the polling station,’ he noted.

He reiterated his intention to revive a policy of providing monthly financial support to constituencies to help them carry out party activities.

‘If you remember, I asked all constituencies to open bank accounts, and those who followed my instruction received GHS10,000 every month. When other constituencies realised it was true, they opened theirs to receive support as well. If you make me your national chairman, I will find the money and continue to support the various constituencies like I did previously,’ he said.

As part of his Northern Region tour, Mr. Afoko engaged with constituency executives from Yendi, Wulensi, Karaga, Gushegu, Tamale North and others, promoting his 3Rs agenda: Reunite, Rebuild and Recapture Power.

He appealed to delegates to stay united and to work hard to ensure that the NPP’s flagbearer, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, is elected President in 2028.

‘We are going to ensure that Dr. Bawumia becomes President in 2028,’ he declared.

Mr. Afoko also assured that women and youth will be central to decision-making in the party if he is elected.

‘Women and the youth will not be spectators in my administration; they will be at the very heart of decision-making, leadership and party growth,’ he stated.

Rev. Wengam Urges Pastors To Remain Steadfast

The General Superintendent of Assemblies of God, Ghana, Rev. Stephen Yenusom Wengam, has urged pastors, particularly those ministering in deprived communities, to remain steadfast in their calling despite the challenges they face, assuring them that God often performs His greatest works under difficult circumstances.

According to him, the hardships associated with ministry in underserved areas should not discourage pastors but rather strengthen their faith and commitment to God’s work.

‘God often performs great works in such situations, and this should inspire pastors to demonstrate unwavering faith in God while remaining diligent in their pastoral ministry,’ he said.

Rev. Wengam made the remarks during his third Apostolic Visit to the Upper East Region ‘B’ Council of the Assemblies of God, Ghana, at Zebilla.

The visit brought together serving ministers and their spouses, retired ministers and their spouses, as well as pastors’ widows for a period of prayer, fellowship, exhortation and spiritual impartation.

As part of the programme, Rev. Wengam led participants in a three-and-a-half-hour prayer session, interceding for peace in Ghana and the Upper East Region.

Special prayers were also offered for the forthcoming General Council meeting of the church in August and the World Congress of Assemblies of God, which Ghana is scheduled to host in October this year.

The General Superintendent also led married pastors in renewing their marriage vows and encouraged them to make their marriages exemplary, stressing that ministers must set positive examples for their congregations through strong family life.

Earlier upon his arrival in Zebilla, Rev. Wengam inspected the ongoing regional office project of the Assemblies of God, Ghana. He expressed satisfaction with the progress of work and announced a donation of 500 bags of cement on behalf of the church’s national headquarters to support the project.

He further pledged an additional 200 bags of cement from his family.

The Regional Superintendent of the Upper East Region ‘B’ Council, Rev. Timothy Tarinya Musah, commended Rev. Wengam for his visionary leadership and fatherly care for ministers across the country.

He also praised Lady Mrs. Monica Wengam for her continuous support for vulnerable members of the pastoral family, particularly pastors’ widows, retired ministers and their spouses.

In keeping with her tradition of supporting clergy families, Lady Mrs. Wengam presented gifts to serving pastors and donated pieces of cloth and cash to pastors’ widows and the wives of retired ministers.

The Upper East Region ‘B’ Council presented a traditional smock to Rev. Wengam and a piece of northern kente to Lady Mrs. Wengam in recognition of their visit, leadership and continued support for the church in the region.

IFC Pushes Stronger ESG Collaboration In Ghana

The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, has called for stronger collaboration among development partners to accelerate the adoption of environmental, social and governance (ESG) standards that promote sustainable private sector growth and long-term economic development in the country.

The call was made during the ESG Roundtable for Development Partners, which brought together representatives from the World Bank Group, GIZ, KfW, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) and other organisations working within Ghana’s ESG landscape.

The meeting provided a platform for participants to exchange ideas on ongoing ESG initiatives, identify areas of collaboration and improve coordination to maximise the impact of sustainability interventions across the country.

Opening the roundtable, IFC Senior Country Officer for Ghana, Yewande Giwa, said ESG considerations had become a key driver of business competitiveness, investment readiness and sustainable economic growth.

She stressed that ESG was no longer a separate agenda but an integral part of private sector development, helping businesses improve governance, transparency, accountability and community engagement while managing risks more effectively.

According to Ms. Giwa, development partners are pursuing similar objectives through different programmes, making greater collaboration essential to avoid duplication and enhance results.

‘We all have the same goal, but we are implementing different activities. There is a clear opportunity for coordination, improved visibility of our efforts and stronger collaboration so that together we can make a greater impact,’ she said.

Participants observed that environmental and social risks are increasingly translating into business risks that could affect investment decisions, operational performance and long-term profitability.

Environmental and Social Risk Management Specialist at IFC, Damilola Sobo Smith, said businesses that fail to manage environmental and social risks expose themselves to operational disruptions, regulatory sanctions, reputational damage and financial losses.

She explained that IFC’s Integrated ESG Programme is supporting businesses to adopt international environmental and social best practices while working with the Bank of Ghana to strengthen implementation of the Ghana Sustainable Banking Principles.

The programme is helping financial institutions incorporate environmental and social risk management into their governance structures, operations and lending practices.

Ms. Smith also commended Ghana for demonstrating leadership in sustainable finance through regulatory reforms that encourage responsible business practices.

Deputy Head of Cooperation at the Swiss Embassy, Magdalena Wst, underscored the importance of a resilient and sustainable financial sector in driving investment, business expansion and job creation.

She noted that SECO has partnered with IFC in Ghana for more than a decade to strengthen environmental and social risk management, support regulatory reforms and build the capacity of financial institutions to implement sustainable banking standards.

She said advancing sustainable finance requires strong partnerships capable of strengthening institutions and delivering lasting development impact.

The roundtable ended with participants committing to deepen collaboration, leverage their respective expertise and coordinate efforts to address emerging ESG challenges while promoting sustainable economic growth in Ghana.

Death Toll Rises To Three In Alajo Floods

Reports indicate that three people have died from the floods at Alajo in Accra following the heavy rains on Monday.

The victims are reported to have died from electrocution after they were trapped in their homes.

According to reports from the scene, the first two victims were inside their rooms when the floods rose and came into contact with electrical power leading to their deaths.

Officials from the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), assisted by residents, recovered the bodies from the flooded area to the Mamobi Polyclinic.

Another death was also confirmed, bringing the total number of deaths at Alajo to three.

The floods submerged major roads, homes, and businesses, severely disrupting activities in several parts of Accra.

The Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo) and the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) temporarily shut down power supply from the Mallam and Achimota primary substations as a precautionary measure as a result of the floods at those facilities.

The Ghana Meteorological Agency forecast that apart from Accra and Northern Ghana is also expected to experience thunderstorms from late afternoon into the evening.

MTN SME Accelerate Programme Reaches Over 700 Businesses

MTN Ghana says it has engaged and impacted more than 700 Small and Medium Enterprises across Kumasi, Koforidua, and Accra this year through its _SME Accelerate_ programme, as part of efforts to support Ghana’s MSME sector.

Speaking on behalf of Angela Mensah Poku, Chief Enterprise Business Officer, Senior Manager for SME Sales, Partnerships and Business Broadband, Abubakar Sadiq Mohammed said MSMEs ‘deserve more than acknowledgement. They deserve investment, celebration, and action.’

‘This year alone, we have engaged and impacted over 700 SMEs across Kumasi, Koforidua, and Accra, and we are not done,’ Sadiq said. ‘We will be taking SME Accelerate to Tamale, Takoradi, and Accra,’ he said.

Mohammed Sadiq stated during the 10th edition of Ghana MSME Day, organized by the Ghana Enterprises Agency [GEA].

Marking the 10th anniversary of MSME Day in Ghana, Mohammed Sadiq commended GEA for ‘holding the fort and building a platform that continues to grow in impact and ambition.’

With the theme _’Elevating the Future Generation of Ghana’s MSMEs through Digital Empowerment and Innovation,’ he said MTN Business is ‘not on the sidelines of Ghana’s SME story. We are in the middle of it through products, programs, clinics, awards, and partnerships.’

‘Let us commit to action, to investment, to building the platforms, the partnerships, and the policies that give every Ghanaian entrepreneur a genuine fighting chance,’ he added.

The GEA has reaffirmed its commitment to championing Small and Medium Enterprises as the country pushes for stronger economic growth.

Speaking at an MSME event, Chief Executive Officer of GEA, Margaret Ansei, said the agency remains focused on building opportunities for entrepreneurs across the country.

‘I assure you that as long as I lead the Ghana Enterprises Agency, we will always be the biggest cheerleader of our SMEs in Ghana,’ she stated.

Margaret Ansei also called on stakeholders to support the sector.

STC Bus Swept Away By Floods At Achimota-Abofu

A State Transport Company (STC) bus was swept away this morning at Achimota-Abofu following the heavy downpour, resulting in floods in several parts of Accra.

The incident occurred after the heavy rainfall flooded parts of the road making it impossible for the vehicle to withstand pressure from the water flowing onto the road.

Eyewitnesses reported that the STC bus was carried away by the floods causing panic among residents in the area.

The heavy rains which started about 10:30pm on Sunday through to Monday afternoon have left several areas flooded, disrupted traffic flow, and halted activities including work in the capital.

Meanwhile, at the Kwame Nkrumah Interchange transport terminal, the rain forced commercial drivers and their conductors to climb onto the top of their minibuses to escape rising floods and even eat their meals there.

Videos circulating on social media showed many of the ‘trotro’ buses partially submerged, with drivers and stranded mates on top of their vehicles as a result of the floods at the station.

Many passengers were left stranded as transport services were temporarily suspended in parts of Accra.

Bawumia Extends Sympathy To Flood Victims, Urges Calm

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) Flagbearer, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, has expressed solidarity with thousands of residents displaced by today’s floods that have hit parts of Accra.

In a statement issued this morning, Dr. Bawumia said his, ‘thoughts and prayers are with the thousands of our people affected by the floods.’

‘My deepest sympathies to those who have lost their loved ones, properties, and those who have been forced out of their homes,’ the post on social media read.

The former Vice President urged citizens to adhere to the government’s safety directives as emergency teams work to contain the situation.

‘I urge citizens to comply with all directives issued by the Government and to cooperate fully with institutions mandated to address the situation,’ he said.

He also called on emergency services and relevant authorities ‘to do everything possible to reach those in need and assist them.’

The floods in Accra, triggered by heavy downpours over the past 24 hours, have submerged homes, blocked major roads, and forced several families to seek shelter in schools and community centers.

Fire Razes Rubber Factory at Circle Odawna as Floods Delay Firefighters

A raging fire has engulfed a rubber factory at the Circle Odawna area, causing panic among residents and traders.

According to sources, four fire tenders from the Ghana National Fire Service were deployed to the scene to combat the blaze.

However, fire crews encountered difficulties accessing the area after getting stuck at some point due to heavy flooding around Circle Odawna. The flooding delayed efforts to quickly quench the fire.

Firefighters are currently working to bring the situation under control. The extent of damage and any casualties have not yet been confirmed.

Motorists and pedestrians in the Circle area are being advised to avoid the Odawna stretch as emergency teams continue operations.