3 sentenced to death for killing friend over loan

A Kano State High Court, sitting at Court No. 15, has sentenced three men to death by hanging after finding them guilty of murdering a carpenter, Abba Aminu Yalwa.

The convicts, Sagir Lawan, Kabiru, and Alaramma, were said to be friends of the deceased.

They were charged with criminal conspiracy and culpable homicide, offences committed at Danbare Quarters in Kano.

According to the prosecution counsel, Barrister Aminu Ado Bello, the incident occurred after the deceased had lent money to the first defendant, Sagir Lawan.

When Yalwa later demanded repayment, Sagir reportedly lured him to Danbare under the pretext of showing him a plot of land.

According to the prosecutor, Sagir and his two accomplices then conspired to attack him, stabbing him in the stomach and causing his death.

They had earlier denied the charges.

The prosecution presented six witnesses, all of whom testified before the court, corroborating the charges against the accused.

In his judgment, the presiding judge, Justice Sanusi Ado Ma’aji, stated that the court was satisfied with the evidence presented and found the defendants guilty as charged.

He subsequently sentenced all three men to death by hanging.

Glo presents car, others prizes to subscribers at festival

Globacom at the weekend backed this year’s edition of Ofala Festival demonstrating its support for culture with a car and other prizes delivered to subscribers.

Held at the Ime Obi, Onitsha, this year’s festival featured the Iru Ofala on Friday and the Azu Ofala on Saturday. The two are the major ceremonies that make up the grand Ofala Festival, a time-honoured tradition of the people of Onitsha.

The Iru Ofala was Obi’s first public appearance after spending weeks in spiritual retreat and communion with the ancestors, in propitiation for the good of the land.

The Imperial Majesty’s appearance in his rich traditional attire and dancing around the Ime Obi was significant and symbolic of his readiness to lead his people into a new year of prosperity.

Public figures in attendance included the Minister of Art, Culture, Tourism and Creative Economy, Hannatu Musawa; the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Benjamin Kalu, and several other highly placed individuals.

The Obi lauded Globacom for its strong support for the Festival over the last 14 years. ‘We thank them for believing in us, and I trust that the mutual benefit that we all derive from the festival will continue to prevail,’ the royal father said.

The Azu Ofala, which was the grand finale of the festival, was a time of thanksgiving, joy, and community festivity. The Obi again graced the occasion in a lighter, festive mood, as he received goodwill messages from dignitaries and visitors, including Globacom, the official sponsor of the festival.

Globacom added glamour by presenting prizes to various winners in the Ofala promo, which was specifically introduced for the people of Onitsha.

The promo ran for four weeks before the Ofala festival and the eventual winners were presented with various prizes, including a brand new Kia Picanto, two tricycles (Keke), power generating sets, grinding machines and so much more.

The Kia car was won by Chidinma Esther Obi, a businesswoman in 33 Area of Onitsha. For Tricycles, known widely as Keke, the duo of Ibeziakor Onyebuchi Anthony and Ejike Chiememma Gloria emerged winners.

Clerics move to curb extremism through legislation

Islamic scholars and stakeholders have called for the enactment of legislation to regulate religious practices that fuel terrorism and violent extremism across West Africa and the Sahel.

This call was made during a press conference in Abuja ahead of the upcoming International Islamic Conference on Security and Governance.

The conference, scheduled for November 4-6, 2025 in Abuja, will convene Islamic scholars, government officials, education experts, and civil society leaders to address the growing threat of extremism in West Africa.

Themed ‘The Role of Islamic Organisations in Countering Terrorism and Violent Extremism in West Africa and the Sahel,’ the event aims to produce actionable strategies to curb radicalisation and promote peace.

The Chairman of the Organizing Committee, Dr. Muhammad Al-Qasim Yahaya, stressed the urgency of confronting religious practices that compromise public safety.

‘We must adopt a mechanism for regulating religious practices that compromise state security and individual safety,’ he said.

The Sahel region continues to grapple with escalating violence. The proliferation of illegal arms alongside porous borders and governance failures has worsened the crisis.

A key focus of the conference will be the traditional Islamic education system, particularly the Almajiri model. Organizers highlighted its vulnerability to exploitation by extremist groups due to lack of formal education and vocational training.

‘Almajiri children face poverty, child labour, exploitation, and vulnerability to radicalisation,’ the committee said.

The conference will also deliberate on a proposed Regional Declaration on Improving the Traditional Islamic School System as a counterterrorism measure.

Expected outcomes include enhanced deradicalisation efforts, interfaith dialogue, and the establishment of regional legislation to regulate harmful religious practices.

Police kill suspected kidnapper in Edo, rescue victim

Operatives of the Edo State Police Command have neutralised a suspected kidnapper and rescued a kidnapped teenager identified as Blessing Anani in Edo State.

The teenager was kidnapped at Ayogwiri community, Etsako West Local Government of Edo State, while returning from the farm alongside her mother and other women.

The Command’s spokesperson, CSP Moses Yamu, said the victim was rescued by the police in collaboration with vigilantes and hunters

He said operatives of Jattu Division trailed a family member, one Sunday Idornigie, who was forced to deliver ransom to kidnappers in a bush around the Agenebode axis.

He said upon arrival, the operatives observed one of the suspects viciously attacking the family member who went to deliver the ransom with a machete.

‘As the officers advanced to rescue him, the gang opened fire and the police responded with superior firepower, dislodging the kidnappers and rescuing the victim while Sunday, who sustained a machete cut, was rushed to the hospital.

Yamu said one of the suspects who sustained gunshot injuries during the exchange of fire was rushed to the Hospital, where he was confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.

He said other members of the gang fled into the bush with gunshot wounds, while the investigation continues to track down the fleeing suspects.

2 in court for allegedly touching woman in Ekiti

The police have arraigned two persons in Ekiti State, Adeola Seun (23) and Oluwatobi Ojo (30), at the Chief Magistrate Court in Ado-Ekiti over an alleged indecent sexual touch.

The prosecutor, Inspector Akinwale Oriyomi, told the court that the defendants, on or about October 12, 2025, at Araromi-Ekiti within the Ijero-Ekiti Magisterial District, sexually touched one Adaramola Bunmi without her consent.

Inspector Oriyomi said they have committed an offense contrary to and punishable under Section 269(1) of the Criminal Law of Ekiti State 2021.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty to the charge and their counsel, O. G. Abiola, urged the court to admit them to bail in liberal terms.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr. Abayomi Adeosun, granted them bail in the sum of N50,000 with one surety each in like sum.

The case was adjourned until November 20, for hearing.

Adamawa Government and UNDP Launch Phase II of Regional Stabilization Strategy Projects in Madagali and Gulak

The Adamawa State Government, in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), is set to commence the implementation of Phase II of the Regional Stabilization Strategy Projects aimed at enhancing security, infrastructure, and community resilience in conflict-affected areas of the state.

The Phase II projects will focus on strategic infrastructure that supports stability, governance, and social services delivery. They include the construction of an NSCDC Outpost, perimeter fence and external works, a block of junior staff quarters in Madagali, a block of senior and junior staff quarters in Madagali, as well as the drilling of a shallow aquifer solar-powered borehole with reticulation works in Gulak Town. Additionally, the phase will feature the construction of a new NSCDC office in Gulak.

These interventions are part of the ongoing partnership between the Adamawa State Government and UNDP to restore peace, strengthen local institutions, and promote sustainable development in the Northeast region.

Abuja Traffic Worsens As Security Operatives Extend Roadblocks

Combined security forces drawn from the Guards Brigade and the Federal Capital Territory Command of the Nigerian Police have mounted more roadblocks at the entry points of the nation’s capital, Daily Trust reports.

The development, which arose from the ongoing protest being led by the convener of the #RevolutionNow movement, Omoyele Sowore, caused heavy traffic gridlock around Bwari, Zuba, Nyanya axis and other entry points to the nation’s capital.

The road that connects Bwari to the City Centre was blocked at the War College Area in Ushafa and at Dutse-Sokale area – a development that has made some workers stranded.

Earlier, the operatives only mounted road blocks at strategic places leading to the Presidential Villa, National Assembly, Court of Appeal Headquarters, Force Headquarters and the popular Eagle Square. But a security source, who spoke to our Correspondent, said the blockade of some roads in the outskirts of FCT became imperative to prevent ‘external aggressors’ from infiltrating the nation’s capital.

The development comes amid the alleged coup plot to overthrow the government of President Bola Tinubu.

‘Every motorist entering the City Centre is being screened now. This is to separate infiltrators from the genuine Nigerians and law-abiding citizens. We can’t afford to allow unrest in the seat of powers,’ the security official explained.

Another officer revealed that an intelligence revealed that the protesters were currently restrategising and may likely mobilise more street urchins to carry their mission.

A civil servant, Isaac Babalola, in an interview with our correspondent, said he was forced to return back home because of the traffic jam at the War College Camp in Ushafa.

He also confirmed that security operatives were thoroughly checking vehicles going to town, causing serious traffic jam.

In the same vein, many motorists coming Mararaba-Nyanya axis while speaking to Daily Trust, expressed frustration over the development, saying they didn’t plan for what was being experienced.

Ethical conduct non-negotiable, SEC tells stockbrokers

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has urged stockbrokers to uphold the highest level of professionalism and ethical conduct at all times in a bid to ensure a fair and transparent market.

The Director General of the SEC, Dr. Emomotimi Agama, who spoke during the 29th annual conference of the Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers in Abuja, said investors must have full confidence that the intermediaries who manage their wealth are guided by the highest standards of honesty and competence.

Agama said the theme of this year’s conference: ‘Capital Markets in a Digital, Ethical, Sustainable Era: Pathways for Economic Transformation’ is timely as it speaks directly to the global transition where technology drives innovation, where ethics anchor trust, and where sustainability defines the future of finance.

‘These three dimensions-digitalization, ethics, and sustainability-are not separate pillars; they form the foundation of a modern, inclusive, and resilient capital markets.

‘Across the world, capital markets are being reshaped by technological innovation. The digital era has introduced new possibilities-from online trading platforms and digital assets to data analytics, blockchain, and artificial intelligence. These innovations are changing how we raise capital, how we invest, and how we supervise.

The SEC Boss stated that the Commission has embraced this transformation as an opportunity to enhance efficiency, transparency, and investor protection adding that ongoing efforts to strengthen market surveillance systems, automate regulatory processes, and introduce risk-based supervision frameworks are all aimed at positioning the Nigerian capital market for the realities of a digital economy.

He said, ‘We are also actively engaging with stakeholders: including the Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers, to deepen digital literacy and capacity-building across the market. As technology evolves, so must our skills, our ethics, and our shared commitment to fairness and professionalism.

‘No amount of innovation can replace the foundational importance of ethics. A truly transformative capital market must be built on integrity, transparency, and accountability.’

He said the CIS has remained a key partner in this regard, setting professional standards and upholding the code of ethics that define the stockbroking profession.

‘As regulators, we continue to emphasize that professionalism and ethical conduct are non-negotiable. Investors must have full confidence that the intermediaries who manage their wealth are guided by the highest standards of honesty and competence.

‘Together, the SEC and the CIS must continue to strengthen ethics education, continuous professional development, and disciplinary frameworks to ensure that the market remains a place of trust,’ he said.

Edo gets new NSCDC commandant

The newly appointed commandant of the Edo State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Akintayo Saidi Ayinla, has assumed office as the 19th commandant of the command.

Daily Trust reports that Ayinla replaces the late Commandant Gbenga Agun, who died in active service on October 2, 2025, in Edo State.

Speaking shortly after taking over, Commandant Ayinla charged the men and officers of the command to support him to succeed in his assignment.

‘My dear officers and men, as we step into a new chapter together, I urge every one of us to foster a spirit of cooperation, unity, and purpose,’ he urged.

He noted that the command’s success lies not in individual effort alone but in the collective efforts and dedication to duty.

Polic e arrest 4 robbery suspects in Lagos

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested four armed robbery suspects who have been terrorizing motorists across Lagos and neighboring states.

The command’s spokesperson, SP Abimbola Adebisi, confirmed the arrest in a statement.

Adebisi said the suspects were apprehended at their hideout in the Igando area during a major operation against violent crimes.

She noted that the gang, aged between 34 and 46, was arrested during intelligence-led operations by the command’s Tactical Squads between 1 am on Wednesday and 3 am on Friday.

According to the police, the suspects reportedly confessed to robbing several vehicle owners at gunpoint and were linked to multiple operations in Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, and Edo states