Kano court remands woman accused of cutting boyfriend’s genital

ýA Magistrate Court sitting at Gyadi-Gyadi, Kano, has remanded Maimunatu Idris, the 25-year-old woman accused of cutting off her lover’s genital with a knife at Durbar Hotel in Badawa.

ýýPresided over by Justice Sadiya Usman of Court No. 40, the accused was brought before the court on charges of causing grievous bodily harm and attempted murder.

ýýDuring proceedings, prosecution counsel, Barrister H. A. Sani Buhari, sought permission to read the charge sheet to the accused.

ýýMaimunatu admitted to the offense of causing bodily harm, which falls within the jurisdiction of the magistrate court, but denied or failed to respond to the charge of attempted murder, as the court lacks jurisdiction over such an offense.

ýýThe prosecutor thereafter requested a date for continuation of the trial, which the court fixed for September 9, 2026.

ýýJustice Usman ordered that Idris be remanded in prison custody pending the next hearing.

Daily Trust reported how Maimunatu, a native of Maigatari LGA in Jigawa State, was arrested on July 27, 2026 after allegedly attacking her boyfriend at Durbar Hotel in Kano.ý

ýShe reportedly invited him to lodge with her before using the opportunity to cut his genitals with a sharp knife, allegedly because she discovered he planned to marry another woman.

ýThe victim was rushed to Abubakar Imam Urology Hospital for emergency treatment, while police recovered the weapon and arrested Idris at the scene.

ý

16 Benue Villagers Killed by Attackers Buried Amid Tears

Sixteen people killed by armed invaders in Efeyi community of Ugboju district in Otukpo Local Government Area of Benue State were on Saturday buried in a mass funeral amid tears and grief.

The victims were killed on Tuesday, July 28, 2026, when the armed attackers invaded the community at about 5am and opened fire on residents in the area.

At the mass burial held on Saturday, some family members, community leaders, traditional rulers, politicians and religious leaders, who gathered to pay their last respects to the deceased, wailed uncontrollably.

Our correspondent reports that the mourners struggled to hold back tears as the victims were laid to rest in graves dug side by side.

A resident of the community, Ogboji Aboje, who attended the funeral, described the ceremony as one of the saddest moments in the history of Efeyi.

‘The funeral was so touching. The atmosphere was full of sorrow. Tears were flowing. It was the saddest day for the people of Efeyi community. May their souls rest in peace,’ he said.

A Catholic priest offered prayers for the deceased before the bodies, placed in white caskets, were lowered into their graves.

Edo Security Corps Arrests 4 over Alleged Theft of Solar Batteries

Operatives of the Edo State Security Corps (ESSC) have arrested four suspects over alleged theft of two solar batteries from a solar shop in Benin City, the Edo State capital.

The suspects, identified as Muhammed Abubakar, Hamza Ibrahim, Mustafa Muhammed and Muhammed Ibrahim, were alleged to have broken into the shop belonging to Samuel Omotanawa and stolen the batteries.

The suspects were reportedly arrested by operatives of the Aduwawa Sector Command of the corps following an intelligence report.

It was gathered that the suspects were intercepted while allegedly attempting to sell the stolen batteries to a waiting buyer.

A source said three of the suspects were allegedly involved in the theft, while the fourth was an accomplice who was contacted to purchase the stolen batteries.

The Corps Commander, Richard Balogun, confirmed the incident, saying the two batteries and a Toyota Yaris used to convey them were recovered.

He said the suspects allegedly stole the batteries in the GRA area but took them to Aduwawa in Benin City for sale, where they were arrested.

Balogun said the suspects had been handed over to the police for further investigation and prosecution.

Gov Lawal congratulates Nentawe at 58

Zamfara State Governor Dauda Lawal has congratulated the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Goshwe Yilwatda, on his 58th birthday.

Yilwatda, a former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction, clocked 58 on Saturday, August 8, 2026.

In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Sulaiman Bala Idris, on Saturday, Lawal described the APC chairman as a valuable member of the party and an important figure in Nigeria’s political development.

The governor said Yilwatda had demonstrated leadership and commitment to the development of the APC since assuming the party’s national chairmanship.

‘On his birthday, I felicitate with our Chairman, Professor Nentawe Goshwe Yilwatda, a refined academic and committed party leader who prioritises the development of the All Progressives Congress.

‘The exemplary leadership and vision displayed by Professor Nentawe have played a vital role in promoting major initiatives and encouraging cooperation among members of our great party,’ Lawal said.

Lawal also commended Yilwatda’s handling of recent APC primary elections, saying it demonstrated his knowledge, discipline, sincerity and commitment to due process.

He wished the APC chairman good health and many more years of service to the country.

‘As you turn 58 today, I wish you many more years of complete mental, physical, and social well-being so Nigeria continues to benefit from your vast knowledge and experience,’ the governor said.

Youth group urges Nigerians to support Tinubu’s administration

The Patriotic Nigeria Youth Forum has urged Nigerians, particularly youths and students, to support the administration of President Bola Tinubu, describing such support as a patriotic responsibility.

The National Coordinator of the group, Odumosu Olamide, made the call in a statement on Sunday in Abuja, urging citizens to adopt a constructive approach in assessing the performance of the administration.

Odumosu said Nigerians had a collective responsibility to contribute to the development of the country, stressing that the nation belonged to all citizens.

‘Supporting our government at this critical period is an act of patriotism. We do not have another country to call our own.

‘Nigeria belongs to all of us, and we must contribute our quota towards building the country we desire,’ he said.

He urged Nigerians to remain patient and actively participate in government programmes aimed at improving their livelihoods.

The youth leader particularly encouraged youths and students to take advantage of government initiatives targeted at them, saying young Nigerians had a crucial role to play in national development.

According to him, the country’s large youth population should be mobilised towards promoting peace, unity and economic growth.

Odumosu also commended the First Lady, Oluremi Tinubu, for her interventions targeting women, youths, families and vulnerable Nigerians.

‘We appreciate the First Lady for the support she has continued to give to her husband and for the various empowerment initiatives she has championed.

‘Her commitment to women, youths and vulnerable members of society deserves recognition,’ he stated.

He urged beneficiaries of government empowerment programmes to utilise the opportunities productively and contribute to the development of their communities.

Odumosu further called on political leaders, youth groups and other stakeholders to embrace dialogue and constructive engagement rather than actions capable of deepening divisions in the country.

He said the challenges confronting Nigeria required collective responsibility, responsible leadership, patriotism and active citizenship.

The coordinator reaffirmed the forum’s commitment to mobilising young Nigerians for peace, democratic participation and national development.

He maintained that the future of Nigeria depended largely on citizens working together despite their political differences.

NRS Chairman Adedeji dismisses online report on Frontier Exploration Fund as sponsored fake news

The Executive Chairman of the Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS), Zacch Adedeji, has dismissed online reports linking the NRS to an imaginary fraud related to the Frontier Exploration Fund, calling it sponsored fake news.

The report had alleged the transfer of $279 million from the Fund’s account to some unnamed accounts and claimed that Adedeji and the NRS were in the know of the ‘illegal’ movement of money.

According to the report, the alleged fraud had put Adedeji under pressure with stakeholders calling for forensic audit of the Fund’s account.

But in his reaction via telephone, Adedeji dismissed the said report as fake news based on the imagination of some persons determined to tarnish his reputation and the image of the NRS.

‘That report is not true in any way. It is pure fake news sponsored by some jobless persons whose pastime is to throw mud at high performers in the President Tinubu government. I consider it to be a brand of cheap journalism lacking in ethics and professionalism but heavy with malicious intentions.

‘To prove to you that it was sponsored, take a critical look at the storyline and language. They are the same language and style in all the reports, meaning that one person wrote it and distributed across gullible online platforms,’ Adedeji said.

The NRS chairman said that the sponsors of the report exhibited lack of understanding on what the Frontier Fund was all about and how it is disbursed.

He explained that the Frontier Exploration Fund was established under Section 9 of the Petroleum Industry Act, 2021 and was meant to finance petroleum exploration activities in frontier basins where commercially viable hydrocarbon reserves are yet to be fully established,

The frontier basins include Bida, Benue Trough, Anambra, Chad, Sokoto and Dahomey Basins. The Fund is to used for expenses in geological mapping, seismic surveys, exploratory drilling, appraisal wells, basin studies and other exploration activities.

State police good, but tackling poverty more important, ADP chieftain tells Tinubu

A United States of America based entrepreneur and chieftain of the opposition Action Democratic Party (ADP), Chris Emejuru, has asked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to proceed with caution on the proposed State Policing in Nigeria.

Emejuru said tackling poverty should be the primary issue that needs to be addressed in the country, adding that, ‘No amount of bullets, weapons, or tanks will put food in the stomach of a desperate youth. Once you address poverty in the country, insecurity will reduce.’

In a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday in Abuja, Emejuru said if the incumbent government can give much effort into addressing poverty as it has given into State Policing, insecurity will reduce ten fold.

According to the Rivers State born businessman, when there is empowerment, there is less desperation. Priorities will also change. Instead of looking for food, a youth will find opportunity. Instead of struggling to find hope, people will find work in abundance. This is all possible if we change our mindset and focus on what matters most.

The statement reads: ‘The issue regarding State Policing in Nigeria should proceed with caution. It is a development that has potential but will not solve all of the security challenges facing Nigerians. Not yet within Constitutional law, there are calls for safeguards to be put in place to ensure that corrupt forces will not hijack this pending reform. This is strategically necessary and well intended but underlying issues need to be addressed.

‘Tackling poverty should be the primary issue that needs to be addressed in Nigeria. If we can put as much effort into addressing poverty as we put into State Policing, insecurity will reduce ten fold. No amount of bullets, weapons, or tanks will put food in the stomach of a desperate youth. Once you address poverty in the country, insecurity will reduce.

‘Ai enabled technology that can release funds to the most vulnerable. Diversification so that resources can be pooled from other sectors transparently to improve the lives of all Nigerians. And grants given within the informal sector which could then be passed on as savings to customers.

‘These are some ways to resolve the insecurity issue in Nigeria. By focusing on policies that make a difference in people’s lives because people’s lives come first.

‘State Policing could be a welcome development, but more effort into reducing poverty will make the biggest difference in creating a more stable and secure Nigeria.’

Troops rescue 33 kidnapped passengers in Zamfara

Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA (JTF NW OPFY), have rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists in Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara State.

The victims were rescued on Saturday after troops received credible information that terrorists had kidnapped commuters travelling through the Magazu area of the local government.

According to a statement issued by the Media Information Officer of the JTF North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lt Col Aliyu Danja, the troops, in collaboration with personnel of the Nigeria Police Force deployed in Tsafe, swiftly mobilised to the area following the report.

He said the troops made contact with the terrorists while they were moving the abducted passengers to an unknown destination.

‘Troops engaged the terrorists with effective fire, forcing them to abandon the victims and flee into adjoining bushes,’ the statement said.

It added that the troops subsequently secured the area and rescued all 33 abducted passengers.

Following the operation, the troops commenced an exploitation of the general area and continued efforts to track down the fleeing terrorists.

The Theatre Commander, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, commended the troops for their prompt response and professionalism, which resulted in the safe rescue of the victims without casualties.

The commander also reaffirmed the resolve of the operation to protect civilians, deny terrorists freedom of action and safeguard major transportation routes across the North-West.

The military urged members of the public to remain vigilant and promptly provide security agencies with credible information on the activities and movements of terrorists and other criminal elements.

Coach Aweroro leaves Shooting Stars

Shooting Stars Sports Club of Ibadan have announced the departure of its head coach Nurudeen Aweroro with immediate effect.

The Nigeria Professional Football League club also relieved Tammy Tamuno and Shakiru Lawal, the team manager and assistant coach respectively on their duties alongside Aweroro.

A club statement said the trio’s exit was by mutual consent.

Aweroro joined the Oluyole Warriors in July last year and leaves after just a year at the club. His departure comes just weeks away from the start of the 2026/27 NPFL season.

Aweroro led Shooting Stars to third position in the league last season, the club’s best finish in 27 years, and with the reward of a return to continental football.

Despite his achievements, the club said the shock exit was reached after meeting and striking an amicable agreement with the trio.

‘We have reached a mutual agreement with Head Coach Nurudeen Aweroro, Team Manager Tammy Tamuno and Assistant Coach Shakiru Lawal to bring their respective contracts with the Club to an end, with immediate effect.

‘The decision follows discussions between the Club and the affected members of the technical team, with both parties agreeing to part ways amicably.’

The club further thanked the coaches for leading the club back to a semblance of its glorious past and wished them well in their future endeavors.

‘Shooting Stars appreciates Nurudeen Aweroro, Tammy Tamuno and Shakiru Lawal for their commitment, professionalism and contributions to the Club during their respective periods of service. The Club particularly acknowledges their efforts in helping Shooting Stars achieve a third-place finish in the 2025/26 NPFL season and secure a continental ticket. We thank them immensely for their service and wish them all the very best in their future endeavors and continued success in their careers.’

The club placed other members of the technical crew in charge of the team pending the arrival of Aweroro’s replacement.

Shooting Stars will play the opening match of the new NPFL season against Inter Lagos at the Lekan Salami sports complex on August 28.

They are billed to face Tunisian giants CS Sfaxien in the first qualifying round of the CAF Confederations Cup in early September.

16 injured as building collapses in Kano

A residential building at Dandishe, Kwanar Yashi in Fagge Local Government area of Kano State has collapsed, leaving 16 people injured.

ý

Spokesman of the Kano State Fire Service, ACFO Saminu Yusif Abdullahi, confirmed the incident in a statement.

ý

He said the service received a distress call at about 4:32 am from one of its staff, Aminu Sani Warure.

ý

Abdullahi said operatives were immediately mobilized to the scene where they found a 20×30 ft structure reduced to rubble.

According to him, 13 victims, including children, were rescued.

They include Al-Mustapha Yusuf (15), Khadija Yusuf (7), Ummusalama Yusuf (10), Madina Yusuf (6), Hafsat Yusuf (9), and eight others whose identities were not immediately known.

ý

Three others, Affan Yusuf (5), Hassana Yusuf (7), and Ummulkursum Yusuf (9 months), were rescued unconscious.

ý

He said all the victims were handed over to Usman Ibrahim, a relative of their father, for further medical attention.

ý

Abdullahi said the cause of the collapse is under investigation, advising residents to take extra precautions during the rainy season to avert similar tragedies.