Non-service stalls Sowore’s arraignment in Tinubu’s defamation case

Non-service of charge sheet on Tuesday stalled the arraignment of former Presidential aspirant, Omoyele Sowore, X Incorporation (formerly Twitter), and Meta (Facebook) Incorporation before a Federal High Court in Abuja over an alleged false claim against the person of President Bola Tinubu by tagging him ‘a criminal.’

The Federal Government had earlier slated Tuesday, September 30, to arraign Sowore and his co-defendants on a five-count charge before Justice Mohammed Umar, but when the case was called for the arraignment, counsel for Sowore, Abubakar Marshall, objected on the ground that his client was not served with the charge sheet three days before the arraignment as required by law.

Similarly, he said, the second defendant had also not been served, and since the trial is on a joint charge, the arraignment cannot be held.

Non-service of charge sheet on Tuesday stalled the arraignment of former Presidential aspirant, Omoyele Sowore, X Incorporation (formerly Twitter), and Meta (Facebook) Incorporation before a Federal High Court in Abuja over an alleged false claim against the person of President Bola Tinubu by tagging him ‘a criminal.’

The Federal Government had earlier slated Tuesday, September 30, to arraign Sowore and his co-defendants on a five-count charge before Justice Mohammed Umar, but when the case was called for the arraignment, counsel for Sowore, Abubakar Marshall, objected on the ground that his client was not served with the charge sheet three days before the arraignment as required by law.

Similarly, he said, the second defendant had also not been served, and since the trial is on a joint charge, the arraignment cannot be held.

2027: Ongoing PDP congresses beginning of good things for party – Odidiomo

The member representing Ibadan North-West/Ibadan South-West federal constituency of Oyo state in the House of Representatives, Hon. Adedeji Dhikrullahi Stanley Olajide, has declared that the ongoing congresses of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) across the country signify a fresh beginning that will reposition the party ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Speaking with journalists in Ibadan at the Oyo State PDP congress, held at the basketball court of Lekan Salami stadium, Adamasingba, Ibadan, Olajide described the exercise as ‘the birth of a new PDP,’ stressing that the reforms being witnessed across the 33 state chapters of the PDP across Nigeria are signs of laying a solid foundation for a stronger and more united political family.

He noted that despite the turbulence of recent years, the PDP had weathered the storm and was poised to reclaim its pride of place in Nigeria’s national politics.

According to him, the party remains the most experienced political organisation in Nigeria, having mastered the democratic process over the years.

He emphasised that PDP had learned from its past and was now embracing a new era of stability and inclusiveness.

‘PDP is not a rookie party. We have been in this process longer than any other political party. Politics is our business, we have learnt it, we have mastered it. Gone are the days when violence was the order of the day. This is a new dawn for Nigeria,’ he said.

Olajide likened the rebuilding process of the PDP to the birth of a new baby, insisting that by November, after the party’s national convention, Nigerians would witness a fully repositioned PDP ready to drive fresh ideas and initiatives for the nation. ‘PDP is the right movement, the right platform and the right form of energy for anyone who truly wants to move this nation forward. With leaders like Governor Seyi Makinde and others providing direction, the best is yet to come,’ he declared.

Speaking on reconciliation efforts within the party, the federal lawmaker dismissed fears that the congresses might alienate some leaders, describing such concerns as exaggerated. He maintained that politics is a game of alignment and re-alignment, stressing that dissenting voices would eventually key into the new momentum sweeping across the PDP. ‘Politics is like a moving train, when it is slow, you can hop on easily, but when it gains speed, you risk being left behind. Some of those you describe as aggrieved will eventually come on board.’

‘There was a time it was very frustrating, when we could not even see light at the end of the tunnel. But gradually, things began to turn around. Now momentum is gathering, not only in Oyo, but also in Lagos, Ondo, the North and across Nigeria. The positive energy we are witnessing shows that good things are about to happen,’

He called on party faithful nationwide to remain steadfast, united and hopeful as the PDP marches towards its national convention and assured that the outcome of the exercise will herald a new dawn for Nigeria’s political landscape, adding that the party was ready to provide the kind of leadership Nigerians desire as the country prepares for another electoral cycle.

No religious persecution in Nigeria – Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu has dismissed claims of deliberate religious persecution in Nigeria, insisting that Christians and Muslims coexist peacefully in the country.

Speaking on Tuesday in Owerri, Imo State, at the launch of Governor Hope Uzodimma’s book ‘A Decade of Impactful Progressive Governance in Nigeria,’ Tinubu described the allegations as ‘a lie from the pit of hell.’

‘There’s no religious persecution in Nigeria. It’s a lie from the pit of hell. I have always believed in good governance, and since I assumed office, I have focused on your welfare. Today, Nigerians can confidently say we have well-equipped hospitals, and we can treat critical illnesses such as cancer,’ he said.

Tinubu’s comments followed claims by American talk show host Bill Maher, who in a viral clip from his show Real Time with Bill Maher, alleged that Christians were being systematically killed in Nigeria.

‘If you don’t know what’s going on in Nigeria, your media sources suck. You are in a bubble. I’m not a Christian, but they are systematically killing the Christians in Nigeria.

‘They’ve killed over a hundred thousand since 2009. They’ve burned 18,000 churches. These are the Islamists, Boko Haram.

‘This is so much more of a genocide attempt than what is going on in Gaza. They are literally attempting to wipe out the Christian population of an entire country,’ Maher said.

The video was widely circulated by international influencers, including Radio Genoa, an anti-Islamic personality on X.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, had also debunked Maher’s claim, insisting that Nigeria’s security challenges should not be portrayed as a targeted campaign against a single religious group. He described the allegation as ‘a gross misrepresentation of reality.’

Reassuring Nigerians, Tinubu said the economy was improving and urged citizens to remain patient. ‘Nigeria’s economy just turned a corner, and you will receive prosperity; those talking negatively about this country should stop saying so. Just be patient, as all Nigerians will feel the prosperity in due time; don’t be corrupt,’ he said.

NCDC seeks Senate approval for N140bn budget

The Managing Director of the North Central Development Commission (NCDC), Mr Tsenyil Yiltsen, appeared before the Senate on Tuesday to seek approval of the National Assembly for his agency 2025 Budget.

A sum of N140billion was presented before the Senate Committee on NCDC for its endorsement.

Addressing journalists after a closed door meeting with the Managing Director of the Federal Government intervention agency for the North Central region, Chairman of the Senate Committee, Senator Titus Zam, disclosed that ‘After a careful look at the issues contained in the budget and the eloquent presentation by the MD and his team, the committee has approved the budget of N140 billion as presented by the Commission’.

In his presentation before the committee dissolved into closed door session, the Managing Director of the NCDC said the N140billion was the envelope given them for the fiscal year by the federal government out of which N100billion is earmarked for capital expenditure across the six states in the zone and the Federal Capital Territory and the balance of N40billion for recurrent expenditure covering overhead and personnel cost.

He further clarified that the N100billion for capital was not tied to one specific project but several projects across the six states in the region.

He said, ‘ We have eight thematic areas in terms of infrastructure deployment which are security, Agriculture , mining, environmental degradation , education, health , road construction etc. ‘

He assured the committee that no state in the region would be neglected as he maintained that his leadership would spread projects across each of the six states.

He said, ‘ We will go out for proper needs assessment in all the states and will be fair in the distribution of these projects in all the six states and FCT.’

He added that the bulk of the N40billion earmarked for recurrent expenditure , will be used to pay salaries of proposed 200 staff to be recruited after approval by the office of Head of Service .

The Committee however appealed to the leadership of the Commission to ensure judicious utilization of the N140billion when finally approved by the Senate , particularly the N100billion , earmarked for capital expenditure .

It also urged governments of the benefiting six states in the zone and the FCT to provide office accommodations for branches of the commission in their respective states.