Why I showed interest in INEC job – Abati

Veteran journalist and former presidential aide, Dr. Reuben Abati, has revealed that despite openly expressing his interest in becoming the next Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), no one has reached out to him or requested his curriculum vitae.

Speaking on Arise Television’s Morning Show on Wednesday, Abati noted that the tenure of the current INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, who was first appointed in 2015, has officially ended after serving two terms.

He emphasized that the focus should now shift to the future of the electoral body and the appointment of a competent successor, rather than basing the decision on regional considerations.

‘I said previously on this program that some people believe it’s now the turn of the Southwest, that the next INEC chairman should come from there.

But I maintain that it should be about competence – about who is the best person for the job,’ Abati stated.

He explained that his earlier declaration of interest was partly humorous but also a reflection of his belief that he could make a difference if given the opportunity.

‘I even proposed myself as a possible chairman of INEC and said I would do a good job because we need to get elections right in this country. But apparently, nobody has asked for my CV since that time. That’s Nigeria. But if they give me the job, I will do it,’ he said.

Abati’s remarks have sparked renewed discussion on the process of selecting the INEC Chairman, with many stakeholders emphasizing the need for transparency and merit in appointing the next leader of Nigeria’s electoral body.

Ghana crush Central African Republic to inch closer to 2026 World Cup

In a commanding display on Wednesday, Ghana delivered a brutal 5-0 thrashing of the Central African Republic (CAR) in their latest 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifier, taking a major step toward clinching the Group I top spot.

The match, held at the Stade d’Honneur in Morocco, saw the Black Stars dominate from the start, capsulizing their superiority in all phases of play.

They broke the deadlock in the 20th minute via Mohammed Salisu, who powered home a header off a Mohammed Kudus corner. From there, the floodgates opened.

Just after the break, Thomas Partey pushed the lead to 2-0 with a composed finish. Minutes later, Alexander Djiku headed in Ghana’s third. A clinical strike from Jordan Ayew followed, and Kamaldeen Sulemana sealed the emphatic victory with his first senior international goal in the 87th minute.

This emphatic result keeps Ghana firmly atop Group I, now three points clear of Madagascar, with a far superior goal difference and only one match remaining. A draw in their final fixture will suffice to confirm their place at the 2026 World Cup.

Coach Otto Addo’s side showed tactical discipline, fluid movement, and ruthless finishing. Meanwhile, CAR struggled to contain Ghana’s attacking waves and offered little in response.

Ghana will next return home to face Comoros in Accra to cap off their qualification campaign. If they maintain their form, the Black Stars are poised to return to football’s grandest stage.

Non-indigenes in Anambra boost Soludo’s bid for reelection

The bid by Anambra governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, for a second term got a boost on Tuesday with his endorsement by non-indigenes living in the state.

The mammoth crowd of non-indigenes from all the geopolitical zones of the country converged on the International Conference Centre (ICC), Awka, the state capital, to endorse Soludo’s re-election bid in the November 8, 2025, governorship poll.

The spokesperson of the organisers of the event held on the aegis ‘Patriots’, Chief Damian Enekwechi, said the decision to endorse the Soludo’s administration was because it has performed well.

According to him, the non-indigenes decided decided to endorse the governor’s second-term bid so that the state would attain the Dubai-Silicon Valley status of the administration’s dream.

Speaking at the event, Soludo said he appreciated the outpouring of sentiments expressed by various tribes and pledges of support for actualisation of his second term ambition.

‘I appreciate your support for us to go for a second term. I do not take this for granted,’ the Governor said while reiterating his believe in one Nigeria while revealing that as an undergraduate, he was a coordinator of the defunct National Party of Nigeria (NPN) in the 1983 election.

He said the motto of NPN was ‘One Nation, One Destiny’.

‘God didn’t make a mistake in putting us together as people of the same country with the potential to be the leaders of the black race. So, wherever we find ourselves, we should accept each other and work the talk,’ he said.

According to him, ‘I’ve been in public service at the national level and I am now in Anambra State and we live out the same principles.

I don’t care where you come from. Some of my best friends are Muslims from the North. The best two drivers I ever had were from the North. Two of them are from Kogi and it didn’t matter to me where they came from.

‘Some of my finest friends were not of the same religion as I. They are not Igbo, not Christians. That is why in Anambra, we have one state, one agenda. We don’t have boundaries. Religion, location and local government are not our concern. Once you live in Anambra, you are of Anambra. I thank all of you for being good citizens of Nigeria,’ Soludo said.

17 Benue LGAs under siege as herdsmen attacks leave thousands homeless

Seventeen of Benue State’s 23 local government areas are currently reeling from a wave of violent herdsmen attacks that have left hundreds of thousands displaced and financially devastated, according to the Executive Secretary of the Benue State Emergency Management Agency (BSEMA), Dr James Iorpuu.

Speaking to journalists in Makurdi on Wednesday, Iorpuu revealed that only six councils-Ogbadibo, Ohimini, Konshisha, Gboko, Ushongo, and one other, remain untouched by the onslaught.

‘The attacks have rendered hundreds of thousands of our people homeless and struggling to survive. Communities have been deserted, farmlands destroyed, and livelihoods shattered,’ Iorpuu lamented.

The BSEMA boss, who also serves as the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, warned that the state faces a double threat, from both herdsmen invasions and perennial flooding.

He called on the Federal Government to urgently dredge the Rivers Benue and Niger to curb the recurring flood disasters.

He described the recent conference of State Emergency Management Agencies held in Lagos as a timely intervention, saying it exposed emergency managers to modern techniques in crisis response and recovery.

Iorpuu, however, praised Governor Hyacinth Alia’s leadership, describing his performance as ‘beyond expectations’ despite the mounting humanitarian challenges.

‘For the governor to have not borrowed from any financial institution since assuming office shows purposeful leadership and accountability,’ he said.

He added that the ‘Divine Mandate’ group, which persuaded Alia to run for governor in 2023, remains proud of his record so far and plans to launch a second phase of its mobilisation campaign by year-end to promote his achievements ahead of the 2027 polls.

Iorpuu urged residents to reject individuals pressuring the governor to divert public resources for private interests.

‘Benue must rise above politics of entitlement. Governor Alia is building a legacy of prudence and people-centred governance,’ he said.

The situation across the affected local governments remains dire, with relief efforts ongoing to support displaced families scattered across camps and host communities.

Plan your Movement: Six weeks of traffic headache looms as Lagos shuts Lane on Island

The Lagos State Government has announced traffic diversions ahead of major repair works scheduled for the Adeniji Adele Interchange Junction through to CMS.

According to the Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Oluwaseun Osiyemi, the rehabilitation exercise will commence on Sunday, 12th October, and run until Sunday, 23rd November, 2025, between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. daily, a period of six weeks.

Osiyemi explained that, in order to reduce gridlock, only one lane would be closed at a time, while other lanes would remain open to traffic throughout the repair period.

He added that traffic management officers would be deployed strategically along the corridor to ensure a smooth flow of vehicles.

‘The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) and other enforcement agencies will be fully on ground to guide motorists and manage movement within the area. We appeal for patience and strict adherence to their instructions,’ the Commissioner said.

He further clarified that the temporary lane closure forms part of a broader traffic management plan designed to support the Federal Ministry of Works’ ongoing rehabilitation of the route.

Osiyemi urged motorists to plan their journeys accordingly, use alternative routes where possible, and cooperate with officers to minimise congestion.

‘The government appreciates the understanding of residents and commuters as we continue efforts to improve road infrastructure and enhance safety across the state,’ he added.

Docked and Disgraced: FIFA slams Heartland FC over player debt

The world football body, FIFA, has banned Heartland FC from signing new players because the club has not paid the full salaries and benefits owed to a former player, N’Goran Roland Adjourmani Koffi.

Heartland FC, who play in the Nigeria National League (NNL), will not be allowed to register new players for the next three transfer windows.

According to FIFA’s letter to the club, the ban will only be lifted after Koffi receives all the money he is owed.

Koffi played for Heartland during the 2023-24 Nigeria Premier Football League season.

Notably, the Nigeria Football Federation’s Players’ Status and Arbitration Committee (PSAC) had earlier instructed Heartland FC to pay long-overdue entitlements to a number of its former players, such as Umah Johnson, Esobe Chukwudi, Ezekiel Bassey, Ugochukwu Leonard, and others.

Court reserves ruling on EFCC’s digital evidence against Emefiele

An Ikeja Special Offences Court on Wednesday reserved its ruling until Thursday, 9 October, on the admissibility of digital evidence tendered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in the ongoing trial of former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele.

Justice Rahman Oshodi fixed the date after hearing intense arguments from both the prosecution and the defence on whether the documents and messages extracted from a former executive assistant to Emefiele met the legal requirements for admissibility.

Emefiele is standing trial alongside his associate, Mr Henry Omoile, on a 19-count charge bordering on alleged receipt of gratification, corrupt demands, and unlawful acceptance of gifts.

The charges involve financial transactions reportedly totalling $4.5 billion and ?2.8 billion.

During Wednesday’s hearing, EFCC counsel, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), led operative Mr Alvan Gurumnaan in continuing his testimony on digital evidence obtained during the investigation.

The evidence included WhatsApp conversations allegedly showing coded exchanges and instructions on cash deliveries. Gurumnaan told the court that the acronym ‘PCS’ seen in the chats meant ‘piece’, a term the parties allegedly used to refer to $1,000 units.

He also testified that messages recovered from the phone of Emefiele’s former executive assistant, Mr John Adetola, revealed discussions with one Mr Eric Eboh, who purportedly instructed Adetola to deliver $400,000 to the former CBN governor.

The witness added that Adetola confirmed delivering the money and that efforts to trace Eboh were still ongoing.

While some documents dated February 2024 were admitted without objection, defence lawyers, Mr Olalekan Ojo (SAN) and Mr Kazeem Gbadamosi (SAN), opposed the admissibility of others extracted from Adetola’s device.

They argued that the digital evidence had not been properly certified as required under Section 84 of the Evidence Act.

The EFCC, however, countered that the documents were primary evidence, not requiring certification, since they were directly extracted from the original device using verified forensic tools.

Oyedepo added that any EFCC officer familiar with the extraction process could validly testify to their authenticity.

Justice Oshodi adjourned the matter until 9 October for a ruling on the admissibility of the evidence.

Peter Okoye reveals secret to wealth

Popular Nigerian singer Peter Okoye, also known as Mr P, has urged fans to drop their fears and pursue opportunities without shame if they truly want to achieve success.

The music star gave the advice in a motivational post shared on his Instagram page alongside some throwback photos of himself.

According to him, one of the biggest differences between the rich and the poor is that wealthy people are not afraid of embarrassment or criticism while chasing their goals.

Okoye wrote:

‘Ever seen a rich man with shame? Never. Shame keeps the broke broke. The rich don’t care how they look chasing opportunity; they just go for it. Everything you dream of sits on the far side of shame. Be shameless and go get it.’

BBNaija S10: Kola opens up on relationship plans with Dede

Former Big Brother Naija season 10 housemate, Kola, has opened up on his plans for a relationship with his love interest, Dede.

While speaking in an interview with GOTV, Kola revealed that he has no plans to pursue a relationship with Dede. He stated that he plans to focus on himself and his career.

Dede had also previously revealed that she has no romantic interest in Kola because they are incompatible. Kola echoed her words, stating that he is moving on to the next phase of his life and that his interest in Dede was only a part of the show.

‘The show is over. I’m focusing on my myself. I’m focusing on my career, work and what I’m bringing to the world. Right now, the show is over and I’m in the next phase of my life. This is where I’m currently headed,’ he explained.

’I prayed so passionately,’ Bella Okagbue mourns

Reality TV star Bella Okagbue has been thrown into mourning following the heartbreaking loss of her triplet nieces , Zion, Zoe, and Ziva, who passed away shortly after birth.

The Big Brother Naija star took to her Instagram page to share the devastating news, penning an emotional tribute to the infants who, according to her, brought immense love and joy within their brief time on earth.

In her post, Bella wrote:

‘Dear Zion, Zoe, and Ziva, you were here for such a brief moment, but the love you brought into our lives will last forever. Never have I prayed so passionately like I did for you three. Though our time was short, it was filled with love and hope. I love you more than words can say. Rest peacefully, little ones.’

The reality star also sent a touching message to her sister, commending her for showing extraordinary strength amid the tragic loss.

‘To my sister, your strength during this tough time is nothing short of inspiring. You have truly inspired me by your courage, and I love you more than words can say,’ she added.