Former Syrian president Bashar al-Assad hospitalised

Reports from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights suggest Bashar al-Assad has been hospitalised in Moscow following an alleged poisoning attempt.

Daily Mail report claims Assad was released from hospital on Monday, with his condition described as stable.

Assad, 60, who was granted asylum in Russia after being ousted in Syria nearly a year ago, has not been seen in public since arriving. Only his brother Maher has been permitted to visit him amid heightened security. The motive behind the alleged attack is unclear, but it is believed to have been orchestrated to damage Russia’s diplomatic interests and implicate Moscow. The Russian government has yet to comment.

Syria’s new authorities have demanded Assad’s extradition, but Russia has refused. There are no confirmed reports of his condition being critical, although unverified reports previously indicated he felt unwell before his hospitalisation.

There is no independent confirmation of the poisoning at this stage. Further updates are awaited.

Cyber Fraud Sweep: EFCC arrests 92 suspects in Benin raid

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says its operatives have arrested 92 fraud suspects in Benin City, the Edo State Capital.

The anti-graft agency said this in a social media post.

The post said, ‘Operatives of the Benin Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, have arrested 92 suspected internet fraudsters in Edo State.

‘They were arrested in a sting operation on Monday, September 29, 2025 at various locations within Benin City, Edo State.

‘Their arrest was based on credible intelligence about their suspected involvement in computer related crimes. All the lawful procedures of arrest were followed in the course of the arrest

‘Upon their arrest, 11 vehicles and mobile devices were recovered from them.

‘Preliminary investigations by the Commission linked the suspects with various forms of internet-related fraud. They will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded.’

21-year-old TV presenter, TikTok star dies after epileptic seizure

Tragedy struck the social media as 21-year-old Jennifer Nicole Rivas, a rising TV presenter and TikTok star, passed away unexpectedly.

Rivas, a journalism student, worked as a presenter on Honduran channel CHTV and had amassed a strong online following, with 100,000 TikTok followers and 16,000 Instagram fans.

She was also a popular comedy actress, collaborating with the group Los Venados 504.

The young media personality reportedly suffered a suspected epileptic seizure at her home in Tegucigalpa. Authorities confirmed she had an underlying medical condition and stated her death was from natural causes, with no autopsy conducted.

Just hours before her passing, Rivas shared a photo on what appeared to be a pickleball court with the caption: ‘Getting ready.’

Lagos unveils tech-powered service week, to honour long-serving, outstanding officers

The Lagos State Government has rolled out activities for the 2025 Public Service Week, reaffirming its resolve to leverage technology in shaping a smarter, agile, and globally competitive public workforce.

At a press briefing on Thursday at the Public Service Office, Alausa, the Lagos State Head of Service, Mr. Bode Agoro, said this year’s celebration would not only honour the contributions of public servants but also spotlight the administration’s drive for digital transformation.

‘The event is projected to appreciate and celebrate our ever-dedicated and committed Public Servants for their numerous contributions and efforts towards the attainment of good governance and efficient service delivery,’ Agoro stated. He added that the theme, ‘Deepening Technology for a Smart and Agile Public Service,’ underscored the government’s resolve to harness technology as a tool for transparency, efficiency, and enhanced citizen engagement.

‘You will quite agree with me that technology plays a very crucial role in today’s business world,’ he noted.

‘Therefore, embracing this development to enhance service delivery, promote innovation, and build a responsive Public Service is very important,’ he added.

Agoro credited Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu for leading a digital transformation agenda that has prioritised investments in infrastructure and capacity development. According to him, ‘Lagos State has prioritised digital transformation, investing in digital infrastructure and capacity development to ensure our Public Service remains globally competitive. This commitment has enabled us to streamline processes, improve data-driven decision-making and enhance citizen engagement.’ Permanent Secretary of the Public Service Office, Sunkanmi Oyegbola (left) with the Head of Service, Bode Agoro during the briefing

On the government’s commitment to workforce development, he stressed: ‘Our investment in digital training for Public Servants shall continue in order to ensure they remain relevant in a rapidly evolving technological landscape. We will also continue to leverage technology to enhance citizens’ participation in governance and getting the required feedbacks to improve service delivery.’

The week-long celebration will commence on Friday, October 3, with health screenings for civil servants at the Adeyemi-Bero Auditorium and a special Jumat Service at the Alausa Secretariat Mosque. On Saturday, October 4, a Walk-for-Fitness will take place in Ikeja, while an interdenominational thanksgiving service will follow at the Chapel of Christ the Light, Alausa, on Sunday, October 5. The following day, October 6, donations from ministries, private organisations and individuals will be presented to orphanages and charity homes, alongside continued health screenings for public servants.

On Tuesday, October 7, officers who have served Lagos State for over 30 years will be honoured during the Long Service Merit Award Ceremony. Wednesday, October 8, will feature a public lecture on the theme of the celebration as well as recognition of outstanding officers. The Variety Show, tagged ‘Alausa Goes White,’ will hold on Thursday, October 9, where public servants are expected to appear in white attire while showcasing their talents in the seventh edition of the Alausa’s Got Talent series. The celebration will climax with a luncheon with Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, during which recipients of the Outstanding Officers Award will have the opportunity to meet the governor.

Agoro praised the dedication of civil servants, describing them as ‘crucial to driving national development and addressing complex challenges confronting the nation.’

He closed with a note of appreciation to the sponsors and partners who supported the event, saying: ‘Let me conclude my address by sending our special appreciation to all our sponsors, corporate partners and individuals who have supported this event with various gift items and donations, while I also solicit further support and cooperation of all Public Servants in making this celebration memorable.’

Abuja woman docked for N240.5m forex fraud

An Abuja woman identified as Ene Queen Bamaiyi has been arraigned for allegedly fraudulently converting the sum of N124 million out of N240 million entrusted to her by one Bright Okubo for foreign exchange conversion to her personal use.

Bamayi was arraigned before Justice A.A. Halilu of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, High Court, Apo, Abuja, on a one-count charge of criminal breach of trust to the tune of N240, 500,000 (Two Hundred and Forty Million, Five Hundred Thousand Naira) by the EFCC.

The charge reads: ‘That you, Ene Queen Bamayi (female), sometime in May 2024 in Abuja within the Judicial Division of this Honourable Court, while being entrusted with the sum of N240,500,000.00 (Two Hundred and Forty Million, Five Hundred Thousand Naira) by one Bright Okubo for conversion at dollar equivalent, did dishonestly convert N124,000,000.00 (One Hundred and Twenty-Four Million Naira) out of the said sum to your personal use in violation of the purpose for which the money was entrusted with you, and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 311 of the Penal Code and punishable under Section 312 of the same Code.’

She pleaded ‘not guilty’ to the charge, following which the prosecution counsel, Joshua Saidi requested a trial date and informed the court of his intention to invite five witnesses to prove the case. However, the defence counsel, M.A. Attah, SAN, prayed the court to grant his client bail on self-recognition and on liberal terms, citing her status as a single mother of a two-year-old child.

Justice Halilu, after considering the submissions, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N30 million with two reliable sureties in like sum, who are not below Grade Level 14 in the civil service.

The Judge further ordered that the defendant deposited her passport with the EFCC and be remanded in Suleja Correctional Centre, pending the fulfilment of her bail conditions.

The case was adjourned till December 2 and 3, 2025 for trial.

Court fixes date for Abuja land dispute suit against Iyabo Obasanjo, others

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday, fixed Nov. 6 to hear a suit filed against Sen. Iyabo Obasanjo and others by ABB Electrical Systems Limited and Amb. Yohana Margif over dispute on a landed property.

Other defendants alongside Obasanjo in the suit over the property located at Plot 4254, Cadastral Zone A04, measuring approximately 1.67Ha in Asokoro District, FCT, Abuja are the former Senator representing the FCT, Philip Aduda; Ismail Iron; John Mbata; Jamaila Sani Alhassan; Altine Jibrin, and unknown persons as 2nd to 7th defendants respectfully.

Justice Mohammed Umar fixed the date on Thursday after counsel for the plaintiffs, Abniyilo Na’allah, sought an adjournment following inability to serve the defendants in the suit.

Upon resumed hearing, only Na’allah was in court and no lawyer appeared for the defence.

Na’allah then informed the court that they were yet to do the need in the matter and he sought an adjournment to put their house in order.

Justice Umar adjourned the matter until Nov. 6 for hearing.

Th case is formerly before Justice Inyang Ekwo.

Justice Ekwo had, on Jan. 28, refused to grant the the ex-parte motion filed by the plaintiffs after it was moved by Na’allah.

The applicants had sought an order of interim injunction restraining the defendants/respondents from entering, trespassing, altering or modifying the property known as Plot 4254, Cadastral Zone A04, measuring approximately 1.67Ha, Asokoro, Asokoro District FCT-Abuja belonging to the plaintiffs pending the hearing and determination of the suit.

The judge, instead, directed the plaintiffs to put the defendants on notice in order to hear from them why the prayer should not be granted.

The plaintiffs had filed the motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/67/2025 dated Jan. 13 but filed Jan. 17 by Na’allah.

In their six-ground argument, the applicants said they were agitated with the fear of the defendants trespassing, altering the property belonging to them.

They said they were the rightful owners of the land by virtue of the statutory Right of Occupancy granted to them.

‘That the plaintiffs/applicants have been in quiet and peaceful possession of the land without any challenge from the defendants/respondents or anyone at all.

‘It will occasion serious miscarriage of justice against the plaintiffs/applicants if the defendants/respondents are allowed to tamper with, enter, trespass, alter or modify the property belonging to the plaintiffs.

‘Allowing the defendants/respondents to tamper with, enter, trespass, alter or modify the property belonging to the plaintiffs will destroy the res and render the judgment of this court nugatory,’ they said.

The applicants said irreparable damage would be caused to them if the defendants were not restrained.

Margif, in the affidavit he deposed to, said the company (1st plaintiff) was allocated the parcel of land by the Federal Capital Development Adminstration (FCDA) covered by a Statutory Right of Occupancy with new issued date of May 23, 2006.

He said the company intended to start developing the said land in compliance with terms contained on the statutory Right of Occupancy and other guiding rules and laws within the FCT.

He alleged that the recent activities of the defendants, including Sen. Obasanjo, who represented Ogun Central Senatorial District between 2007 and 2011, had become worrisome.

Margif prayed the court to grant their application in the interest of justice.

ADC joins NUPENG, PENGASSAN in rejecting NNPC asset sale plan

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has strongly opposed the Federal Government’s plan to sell Nigeria’s oil assets.

Speaking at a press conference, the party’s national publicity secretary, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, said the move is a dangerous attack on the country’s energy sector and must be stopped. He reminded Nigerians that on September 22, the Nigerian Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) wrote to President Tinubu rejecting the planned sale of NNPC Limited’s shares in its most profitable oil ventures.

Abdullahi said the ADC agrees with the unions, warning that the sale will weaken Nigeria’s control over its oil resources and transfer them into the hands of a few wealthy, politically-connected individuals.

According to him, the proposed changes to the Petroleum Industry Act are part of a deliberate plan to strip NNPC Limited of its best assets, remove proper oversight, and sell off national wealth cheaply.

He stressed that selling the oil assets would: Reduce Nigeria’s ability to control fuel supply and respond to global oil price changes.

Deprive the government of vital revenue used to fund schools, hospitals, and infrastructure.

Leave NNPC Limited in debt and risk the loss of thousands of jobs.

Set a dangerous precedent of turning public property into private wealth.

‘This is not just a policy issue,’ Abdullahi said. ‘It is a battle for the future of Nigeria’s economy and for generations yet to come.’

The ADC urged civil society, labour unions, and young Nigerians to resist the move and demand accountability.

The party also called on the National Assembly to reject any amendments to the Petroleum Industry Act that favour private interests over public good.

‘At 65 years of independence, Nigeria must put the people first, not politics or profit,’ Abdullahi added. ‘History must remember us as a people who stood up and said no to the selling of our national wealth.’

Death toll from central Philippine earthquake rises to 72

The death toll from a magnitude 6.9 earthquake that struck the central Philippines earlier this week has risen to 72.

The national disaster agency on Thursday, reported that nearly 300 people were injured, while more than 170,000 were affected by the earthquake, which struck Cebu province on Tuesday evening.

Thirty people died in Bogo City, the epicentre of the offshore quake, where landslides buried homes, the agency said.

Another 22 were killed in San Remigio, 12 in Medellin, five in Tabogon and one each in Sogod, Tabuelan and Borbon.

The disaster agency reported 597 houses partially or totally damaged, along with 87 government facilities, hospitals, bridges, churches, roads and private buildings. It was not immediately clear if people remained trapped under collapsed structures. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said the quake lasted about 30 seconds. Around 2,300 aftershocks of up to magnitude 5.0 have been recorded so far.

Phivolcs director Teresito Bacolcol, urged residents not to return to damaged homes, warning that aftershocks could continue for days or even weeks and could cause structures to collapse.

‘Consult civil engineers, structural engineers in your municipal or city engineering office and seek advice regarding the integrity of the buildings,’ he said.

Dangote: “Your case is becoming a joke,’ Blessing CEO warns Phyna

Reality star Phyna has once again called out the Dangote Group over the death of her younger sister, Ruth Otabor, who was reportedly struck by one of the company’s trucks.

Since the tragic incident, Phyna has consistently demanded justice, accusing Dangote of playing a ‘deceptive game’ with her family.

In a recent video, the BBNaija winner alleged that the family has been denied fair treatment and compensation, sparking conversations across social media. ‘Phyna, I keep seeing you all over my timeline. By now I expected you to have gotten a SAN (Senior Advocate of Nigeria). You need to put yourself together so people can take you seriously. This case is already looking like a joke,’ Blessing said.

She further urged Phyna to engage a competent lawyer rather than rely on social media pressure.

‘There are better ways you can go about this issue. You don’t use gra gra to get compensation. This is the time to get a good lawyer,’ Blessing added.

NBA wants accountability in UK property controversy involving prominent Nigerians

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Anti-Corruption Committee has thrown its weight behind the move by the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Mr. Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, to probe the controversial property dispute in the United Kingdom involving prominent Nigerian lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, PM News has gathered.

The matter, which came before Judge Ewan Paton of the First-Tier Tribunal, Property Chamber, Land Registration, under Case Number REF/2023/0155, was between one Tali Shani (Applicant) and Chief Ozekhome (Respondent) over ownership of 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2 7SX. In a statement signed by its chairman, Prof. Babafemi A. Badejo, the NBA Anti-Corruption Committee said the case has raised several questions about the authenticity of documents, the role of Nigerian lawyers, and possible involvement of civil servants in fraudulent practices.

According to the Committee, issues such as the alleged procurement of fake National Identification Numbers (NIN), fraudulent use of MTN phone numbers, fake ECOWAS passports, and attempts to create fictitious identities to advance the case, must be fully investigated. The Committee also noted that Judge Paton had linked the controversial London property to the late Lt. General Jeremiah Useni, suggesting it was acquired under questionable circumstances similar to the £1.9 million case decided against him at the Royal Court of Jersey in 2022.

It urged the AGF to ensure Nigeria asserts its interest in the property with a view to possible restitution. Expressing concern over past cases that were abandoned once media attention faded, the Committee stressed the need for transparency and accountability this time.

Furthermore, it recommended that Dr. George Ekpungu, Esq., Alternate Chairman of the NBA Anti-Corruption Committee, and Mr. Bayo Akinlade, Esq., Chairman of the Ikorodu Branch Anti-Corruption Committee, be included in the investigative process.

The statement was copied to NBA President, Mazi Afam Osigwe, SAN, as well as other national officers of the Association.