ADC joins NUPENG, PENGASSAN in rejecting NNPC asset sale plan

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has strongly opposed the Federal Government’s plan to sell Nigeria’s oil assets.

Speaking at a press conference, the party’s national publicity secretary, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, said the move is a dangerous attack on the country’s energy sector and must be stopped. He reminded Nigerians that on September 22, the Nigerian Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) wrote to President Tinubu rejecting the planned sale of NNPC Limited’s shares in its most profitable oil ventures.

Abdullahi said the ADC agrees with the unions, warning that the sale will weaken Nigeria’s control over its oil resources and transfer them into the hands of a few wealthy, politically-connected individuals.

According to him, the proposed changes to the Petroleum Industry Act are part of a deliberate plan to strip NNPC Limited of its best assets, remove proper oversight, and sell off national wealth cheaply.

He stressed that selling the oil assets would: Reduce Nigeria’s ability to control fuel supply and respond to global oil price changes.

Deprive the government of vital revenue used to fund schools, hospitals, and infrastructure.

Leave NNPC Limited in debt and risk the loss of thousands of jobs.

Set a dangerous precedent of turning public property into private wealth.

‘This is not just a policy issue,’ Abdullahi said. ‘It is a battle for the future of Nigeria’s economy and for generations yet to come.’

The ADC urged civil society, labour unions, and young Nigerians to resist the move and demand accountability.

The party also called on the National Assembly to reject any amendments to the Petroleum Industry Act that favour private interests over public good.

‘At 65 years of independence, Nigeria must put the people first, not politics or profit,’ Abdullahi added. ‘History must remember us as a people who stood up and said no to the selling of our national wealth.’

Death toll from central Philippine earthquake rises to 72

The death toll from a magnitude 6.9 earthquake that struck the central Philippines earlier this week has risen to 72.

The national disaster agency on Thursday, reported that nearly 300 people were injured, while more than 170,000 were affected by the earthquake, which struck Cebu province on Tuesday evening.

Thirty people died in Bogo City, the epicentre of the offshore quake, where landslides buried homes, the agency said.

Another 22 were killed in San Remigio, 12 in Medellin, five in Tabogon and one each in Sogod, Tabuelan and Borbon.

The disaster agency reported 597 houses partially or totally damaged, along with 87 government facilities, hospitals, bridges, churches, roads and private buildings. It was not immediately clear if people remained trapped under collapsed structures. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said the quake lasted about 30 seconds. Around 2,300 aftershocks of up to magnitude 5.0 have been recorded so far.

Phivolcs director Teresito Bacolcol, urged residents not to return to damaged homes, warning that aftershocks could continue for days or even weeks and could cause structures to collapse.

‘Consult civil engineers, structural engineers in your municipal or city engineering office and seek advice regarding the integrity of the buildings,’ he said.

Dangote: “Your case is becoming a joke,’ Blessing CEO warns Phyna

Reality star Phyna has once again called out the Dangote Group over the death of her younger sister, Ruth Otabor, who was reportedly struck by one of the company’s trucks.

Since the tragic incident, Phyna has consistently demanded justice, accusing Dangote of playing a ‘deceptive game’ with her family.

In a recent video, the BBNaija winner alleged that the family has been denied fair treatment and compensation, sparking conversations across social media. ‘Phyna, I keep seeing you all over my timeline. By now I expected you to have gotten a SAN (Senior Advocate of Nigeria). You need to put yourself together so people can take you seriously. This case is already looking like a joke,’ Blessing said.

She further urged Phyna to engage a competent lawyer rather than rely on social media pressure.

‘There are better ways you can go about this issue. You don’t use gra gra to get compensation. This is the time to get a good lawyer,’ Blessing added.

NBA wants accountability in UK property controversy involving prominent Nigerians

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Anti-Corruption Committee has thrown its weight behind the move by the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Mr. Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, to probe the controversial property dispute in the United Kingdom involving prominent Nigerian lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, PM News has gathered.

The matter, which came before Judge Ewan Paton of the First-Tier Tribunal, Property Chamber, Land Registration, under Case Number REF/2023/0155, was between one Tali Shani (Applicant) and Chief Ozekhome (Respondent) over ownership of 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2 7SX. In a statement signed by its chairman, Prof. Babafemi A. Badejo, the NBA Anti-Corruption Committee said the case has raised several questions about the authenticity of documents, the role of Nigerian lawyers, and possible involvement of civil servants in fraudulent practices.

According to the Committee, issues such as the alleged procurement of fake National Identification Numbers (NIN), fraudulent use of MTN phone numbers, fake ECOWAS passports, and attempts to create fictitious identities to advance the case, must be fully investigated. The Committee also noted that Judge Paton had linked the controversial London property to the late Lt. General Jeremiah Useni, suggesting it was acquired under questionable circumstances similar to the £1.9 million case decided against him at the Royal Court of Jersey in 2022.

It urged the AGF to ensure Nigeria asserts its interest in the property with a view to possible restitution. Expressing concern over past cases that were abandoned once media attention faded, the Committee stressed the need for transparency and accountability this time.

Furthermore, it recommended that Dr. George Ekpungu, Esq., Alternate Chairman of the NBA Anti-Corruption Committee, and Mr. Bayo Akinlade, Esq., Chairman of the Ikorodu Branch Anti-Corruption Committee, be included in the investigative process.

The statement was copied to NBA President, Mazi Afam Osigwe, SAN, as well as other national officers of the Association.

Armed gang invades ex-Ogun LG Chair’s residence, escape with car, money

Suspected armed robbers stormed the residence of the former chairman of Ijebu-Ode Local Government, Ogun State, Alhaji Emilola Gazal, in the early hours of Thursday, carting away valuables items, including cars and money.

The incident reportedly occurred around 2am.

According to reports, the robbers forced the former chairman to open his banking application and transfer funds before fleeing with his silver-coloured vehicle and other possessions.

Gazal who is also the publisher of The Roots Magazine confirmed the incident to journalists in a phone call.

He said the armed robbers who are three in number broke into his house at Ijebu Ode GRA at about 2am. ‘The three armed gang broke into my residence at Ijebu Ode GRA at about 2am.

‘They collected all the cash with me after which they also forced me to open my bank apps on my phone and forced me to transfer everything there to an account submitted by them, they left N5000 in my account.

‘They made away with my wife’s trinkets and with my ash colour car, they actually demanded that they will be going away with my car. I am just going to report the incident to the police at Igbeba and Obalende, Ijebu Ode’.

A neighbour of former Ogun LG chairman described the ordeal as terrifying, noting that the assailants carried guns and operated with precision.

However, it was gathered that Ijebu-Ode Police Area Command, Igbeba, has been alerted and investigations are ongoing.

Further details are expected as security operatives intensify efforts to track down the suspects.

Rights group, workers unions honour departed leader Nwanyieze in Lagos

The Bureau of African Labour Human and Democratic Rights (BALHADER), as well as the Center for the Defence of Human Rights Democratic in Africa (CDHRDA) and the wrongly disengaged Over 5000 Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN), on Monday honoured one of their leaders, Comrade (Mrs) Nwanyieze Ukaummna, well-known as the First Lady of Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria, MWUN who died in August with a memoria session in Lagos.

Comrade Nwanyieze, who turned 70 on the 5th of May 2025, passed on in her 43 Fatai Irawo Street, Ajao Estate, Isolo Lagos on the 30th of August 2025.

The event, which was held at the Akporo Community Hall, Ajegunle Apapa, Lagos started around 11am with hymns and solidarity songs, after which a minute silence was observed in honour of the departed soul.

The memorial service witnessed many members of the workers unions rendering great testimonials about the woman they regard as mother of all maritime workers. Banner of the late Comrade Nwanyieze Ukaummna at the event

The first speaker, Comrade Mufutau Salami described Mrs Ukaummna as a good mother who was very accommodating and hospitable.

‘Mama was a good mother to me. She was always happy to receive you. Any time I went to her for anything, she would urge me to enter and sit anywhere I wanted in the house. She would say sit anywhere you like, it’s your house,’ Comrade Muftau narrated.

He gave testimonies of how the late unionist interceded for him on several cases. He also emphasized that mama loved him so much that if she had decided not to intervene on any issue, she would change her position immediately she noticed him among the concerned individuals. He prayed for the repose of the deceased’s soul.

Second speaker was Comrade Olumegbon Ibrahim Babatunde who described Mrs Ukaummna’s demise as sad. However, he urged his colleagues to take solace in the fact that the late ‘mother of all maritime workers’ lived a good and impactful life. Another protege of the late union leader, Comrade Emmanuel James, said the deceased played important roles ‘in everybody’s life. You cannot go to her sad and not return happy.’ Comrades observe one minute silence in honour of Mrs Nwanyieze Ukaummna

Another speaker, Comrade James Nwafor, praised mama to high heaven and said the only way to honour her was for him and his colleagues to continue the struggle the deceased led ‘until victory is achieved.’

The BALHADER Director of Programme, Comrade Uchenna Uzoije, himself was not left out in the avalanche of praises for the late Comrade. He noted that Mrs Ukaummna was the first leader of the movement. He described her as his mother ‘in the real sense of it.’

He pledged to honour her beloved memory by pursuing to a logical conclusion the struggle she led till death.

A prayer session for the repose of her soul was held thereafter.

At about 12:30pm, singing of solidarity songs with characteristic demonstration took the stage to wrap up the programme. Comrades sing solidarity songs to honour Nwanyieze’s memoryOne of the comrades giving testimonies at the event about the late people’s leader

Police begin enforcement of tinted glass regulations

The Zone Five Police Command have begun enforcing the ban on the unauthorised use of sirens and tinted glass permit regulations.

NAN reports that the zone five command located in the South-south Geo-political Zone comprises Edo and Delta.

This is contained in a statement by the Zonal Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tijani Momoh, in Abuja.

The exercise, the command said, is in line with the existing laws and directives of IGP Kayode Egbetokun, which apply to all vehicles with tinted glasses, whether factory or non-factory fitted.

Momoh quoted the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of the zone, Salma-Dogo Garba, as saying that the enforcement would also affect the subsisting ban on the unauthorised use of sirens.

According to Garba, there will also be strict enforcement on the use of revolving lights, Police SPY and unallocated official number plates, as well as the use of unregistered vehicles.

‘In view of the above, motorists yet to register their vehicles with tinted glasses are strongly advised to do so at www.possap.gov.ng. Thereafter, they should proceed to their state command headquarters for physical verification. Those who are not desirous of obtaining the tinted glass permit are advised to remove such tints or replace the factory-fitted glasses with transparent ones, as legally provided by the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of Tinted Glass) Act 2004,’ he said. The AIG warned field operatives and their supervisory officers to ensure that the exercise was carried out with utmost professionalism, devoid of any form of harassment or extortion of motorists.

He stressed that any officer found wanting would be duly sanctioned, while the concerned supervisory officer would be held liable.

Garba further urged motorists to cooperate with the Police during the exercise in order to ensure public safety and national security.

He also charged residents to promptly report any form of harassment, extortion, or other unprofessional conduct to the nearest police station, the commands CRUs, or the ZPPRO.

NAN reports that the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, announced that strict enforcement of the Tinted Glass Permit requirement will begin across Nigeria on Thursday.

The directive comes under the authority of the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of Tinted Glass) Act, 2004, a law intended to bolster security and curb criminal behaviour.

Under the new mandate, all vehicles with tinted windows are expected to carry valid and verifiable permit documents, which must be presented whenever requested by law enforcement.

Lagos Omoluabi Progressives advocate for more representative governance

The Lagos State chapter of the Omoluabi Progressives, a coalition of young politicians in the Southwest, has called for a more active and inclusive democratic system to ensure that the voices of people at the grassroots are better represented in governance.

Speaking at a meeting held in Lagos, the group, under the leadership of its state chairman, Rilwan Usman, stressed that true democracy can only thrive when ordinary citizens are carried along in decision-making processes.

Usman noted that the current political climate requires a deliberate effort to bridge the gap between leaders and the electorate, adding that the Omoluabi Progressives was committed to building a platform where young leaders can champion accountability, transparency, and grassroots development.

‘Our mission is to ensure that the people at the grassroots are not sidelined but remain the bedrock of democratic participation. As young progressives, we believe in a system where every voice counts and where governance reflects the aspirations of the people,’ he said. The group resolved to intensify grassroots mobilization across local communities in Lagos, while also advocating youth involvement in leadership and policy development.

According to Usman, the Omoluabi Progressives’ intends to set a new standard of political engagement in Lagos State, one that prioritizes community needs and sustainable development over personal interests.

The meeting ended with a renewed pledge by members to work together in strengthening democratic ideals and preparing young leaders for more active roles in the political process.

Troops break up bandits’ gathering in Taraba

Troops of 6 Brigade Nigerian Army/ Sector 3, Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS), have successfully foiled a terrorist attack and neutralised two suspected terrorists in Taraba.

This is contained in a statement on Wednesday by Lt. Umar Muhammad, Acting Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, 6 Brigade Nigerian Army, Jalingo.

‘Acting on credible intelligence, troops on October 1, 2025 advanced to Tor-Ikyeghgba village where bandits were reported to be converging.

‘On arrival at the general area, the troops made contact with the terrorists along the powerline axis and immediately engaged them with superior firepower, resulting in the neutralisation of two.

‘During the operation, the following items were recovered; one locally fabricated pistol, two dane guns, three rounds of 7.62 mm special ammunition, one Baofeng radio, one motorcycle and other items,’ it stated.

He quoted Brig. Gen. Kingsley Uwa, Commander of the brigade as commending the troops for their swift response, resilience, and professionalism.

Muhammad also quoted the Commander, as urging the troops to maintain the momentum, assuring residents of the state that the brigade remained fully committed to ensuring their safety.

He therefore, called on members of the public to continue to support the ongoing operation ‘Lafiya na kowa’ by providing timely and credible information that would aid in the fight against criminality.

62-year-old alleged IPOB Informant nabbed for terrorism

The Anambra State Police Command has arrested a 62-year-old man suspected to be a member and informant of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) over alleged terrorism and extortion in Ihiala Local Government Area.

The suspect is accused of anchoring a major extortion ring that imposes illegal levies on traders and families in the Isseke and Orsumoghu communities.

Police spokesperson Tochukwu Ikenga said in a statement on Thursday that the arrest was carried out on Oct. 1 by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu. ‘Preliminary investigations reveal the suspect was collecting ?10,000 and above from each trader monthly, and up to ?100,000 from families organising burial ceremonies in the area,’ Ikenga said.

He added that the proceeds were allegedly funnelled to a terrorist camp commander.

The IPOB suspect is currently in custody, and investigations are ongoing.

Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, commended the officers involved and reiterated the command’s resolve to dismantle all criminal networks linked to insurgent groups. ‘This arrest is part of our broader strategy to flush out elements who exploit residents under the guise of agitation,’ Orutugu said.