NRC raises alarm over ‘stone attacks’ on AbujaKaduna train

By Chiazo Ogbolu

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has raised alarm on increasing attacks on its train operations along the AbujaKaduna rail corridor by suspected vandals and criminal elements.

The alarm followed the latest incident around Kilometer 177 along the AbujaKaduna rail corridor, where some persons reportedly gathered along the rail track and began pelting stones at a moving train.

The attack led to damage of the windscreen of the leading locomotive, Chief Public Relations Officer, NRC, Mr Callistus Unyimadu, said this in a statement on Sunday in Lagos.

While condeming the attack, Unyimadu noted in the statement that within the last two weeks, similar attacks have also been witnessed in other locations, including Gidan Busa/Sarki Gora Village, Kakau District, Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State, among others.

“This development is posing serious danger to railway operations, passengers and operational personnel.

“Management disclosed that similar incidents have so far been recorded in more than six locations along the corridor.

” This, thereby, worsens the already challenging and stressful operational conditions under which the corporation continues to provide essential transport services to Nigerians,” he said.

Unyimadu noted that these persistent attacks not only endangered lives and damaged critical railway infrastructure but also constituted acts of economic sabotage capable of disrupting national transportation.

He pointed out that this undermined the huge investments of the Federal Government in the railway sector.

“Despite the unfortunate development, train operations have continued with necessary safety precautions and strict operational vigilance by railway personnel who have continued to demonstrate commitment and professionalism in ensuring that passengers reach their destinations safely.

“The management of the corporation specially acknowledges the efforts and support of security operatives working tirelessly with the NRC to secure railway corridors and safeguard passengers and railway assets despite the persistent attacks.

“The corporation is currently working closely with security agencies, community leaders, and other relevant stakeholders to strengthen surveillance along the corridor, identify the perpetrators and bring them to justice,” he said.

He said that the Corporation called on residents and communities along railway corridors to support efforts aimed at protecting railway infrastructure by reporting suspicious activities and discouraging criminal attacks on trains and railway installations.

He said that the continuous attacks on railway operations could negatively affect smooth service delivery, if urgent collective action was not taken to curb the menace.

“The NRC remains committed to ensuring safe, secure, and efficient train operations across the country and assures passengers that every necessary measure is being taken to safeguard lives and railway assets,” he said.

(NAN)

Police arraign man over alleged child disappearance

A Lagos Magistrates’ Court sitting in Ojo on Monday heard allegations against a 29-year-old man, Samson Ijuo, accused of involvement in the disappearance of a minor.

Ijuo was brought before the presiding magistrate, O.M. Ogun on a two-count charge of conspiracy and abduction. He denied the allegations.

The police prosecutor, Esther Adesulu, told the court that the defendant acted in concert with accomplices who are still at large. The alleged offence was said to have taken place between June 2025 and February in the Mosafejo area of Ojo.

The prosecution claimed that Ijuo took a neighbour’s underage son to an undisclosed location without informing the child’s parents. He was later apprehended by the police.

According to the prosecutor, the alleged offences fall under Section 269 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

Ogun granted the defendant bail in the sum of N300,000, with two sureties in the same amount.

The matter was adjourned until 20 May for mention.

Real reasons I dumped ADC for NDC Peter Obi opens up

By Kazeem Ugbodaga

Obi said his decision was driven by “the urgent need to rescue Nigeria” from its worsening socio-economic and security challenges.

“The condition of our nation and the urgent need to rescue Nigeria informed my decision,” he said.

The former presidential candidate revealed that persistent internal crises and litigation within opposition parties played a major role in his exit.

“I left the ADC for the same reason I left the Labour Party-severe, orchestrated litigation and internal crises deliberately designed to prevent effective participation in the electoral process,” he stated.

He warned that such developments pose a serious threat to Nigeria’s democracy, urging authorities to stop actions that weaken opposition parties.

“Democracy must never become a weapon against the people,” Obi cautioned.

Obi also painted a bleak picture of the country, citing rising poverty, hunger, insecurity and economic hardship as factors that compelled him to seek a new political platform.

“Businesses are shutting down daily. Our young people are losing hope, and many citizens have lost faith in the system,” he added.

He said his move to the NDC, alongside Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, was aimed at continuing the struggle for a “new Nigeria” anchored on accountability, competence and compassion.

Obi maintained that the decision was not driven by personal ambition but by a commitment to national interest.

13 arrested as security operatives bust cult initiation ceremony in Rivers

By Desmond Ejibas

Security operatives have disrupted initiation ceremony of Aiye Confraternity, popularly known as Black Axe with the arrest of 13 suspect in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State.

The suspects were apprehended in a forest between Alode and Onne in the early hours of Sunday.

According to an eyewitness simply identified as Lene said about 100 young men had gathered at the location for the initiation ritual.

He said while the initiation exercise was ongoing, police operatives stormed the gathering.

“On sighting the approach of security operatives, many of the cultists fled deeper into the forest.

“However, over 13 of them were apprehended at the scene, while others escaped,” he said.

Lene identified the group as members of Eiye Cult gang

He said the initiation of new recruits was often conducted in the forest to strengthen territorial control in the local government area.

When contacted, the spokesperson of the Police Command in Rivers, ASP Blessing Agabe, confirmed the arrest of the suspects.

“Yes, I can confirm the arrests. Investigation has commenced,” she said.

Agabe, however, did not provide further details on the operation.

Cult-related activities have remained a security concern in parts of the state.

On Saturday, the Police, along with the Nigerian Army, Navy, Air Force, Department of State Services, and Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, launched a joint operation.

The initiative was introduced to combat rising cases of kidnapping, cultism, and other violent crimes in the state.

(NAN)

My grudge against Wizkid is for life Seun Kuti

Afrobeat artist Seun Kuti has doubled down on his ongoing feud with fellow Nigerian musician Wizkid, asserting that there is no chance for reconciliation.

In a candid interview with Selah Meditate, Seun firmly rejected claims that their differences had been resolved.

“No, what are you talking about? Please, let’s move on. I don’t want to talk about that,” he said when asked about the possibility of mending fences with Wizkid.

Seun, son of the legendary Fela Kuti, emphasized that his grudge with Wizkid is personal. “My grudge for Wizkid is on for life because you don’t say things about my dad and think it’s fine. No, there is no coming back from that,” he added.

The roots of Seun’s public rift with Wizkid go back to early 2026, when the two were drawn into a war of words on social media.

It all began after Wizkid’s fanbase compared the pop star to Fela Kuti, a comparison that Seun viewed as deeply disrespectful. Seun responded sharply, denouncing the fans and making it clear that no one could ever rival his father’s impact on African music and culture.

The situation worsened when Wizkid, reportedly in response to Seun’s accusations, appeared to make dismissive comments online, which many interpreted as an attack on Seun and his father’s legacy. A public back-and-forth followed, escalating the tension and ultimately leading to Seun’s firm statement that there was no turning back from the feud.

Since then, both Seun and Wizkid have remained at odds, with the dispute continuing to stir conversations across the Nigerian music scene

’How notorious Ogun cult kingpin “Stone” was shot dead’

By Adejoke Adeleye

A former leader of Buccaneers cult gang in Ogun State simply identified as ‘Stone’ or ‘XY’ has been killed by suspected rivals.

‘Stone’ or XY was reportedly killed alongside one ‘Bayo’ on Sunday.

Reports had suggested that he was killed during the inauguration of Executive of Yayi Progressive Movement on Sunday at Ake Palace in Abeokuta, the state capital.

The Ogun Police Command confirmed the incident in a statement by its spokesperson, DSP Oluseyi Babaseyi.

Babaseyi said the detectives of the Oke Itoku Division, Ogun State Police Command, have commenced a full-scale investigation into the killing of the victims.

He, however, said the incident did not happen at Ake Palace as being speculated.

Explaining how Stone was killed, Babaseyi in the statement: “At about 2:45 p.m, a confrontation reportedly broke out between members of suspected rival cult groups along Wasimi Ake Road, specifically between Centenary Hall and Lotus Bank, leading towards the Ijemo Agbadu axis.

He added that incident did not occur at Ake Palace, did not take place within the venue of the rally, and is in no way connected to the Yayi Progressive Movement inauguration program held at Ake Palace as being speculated.

“The clash was strictly confined to the aforementioned roadway and its adjoining neighbourhood,” Babaseyi said.

The police spokesperson said preliminary findings indicate that gunshots were heard in the area, causing panic as the suspected hoodlums engaged one another and fled on foot towards adjoining streets within the Wasimi AkeIjemo Agbadu axis.

He added that detectives of the Division responded promptly to distress calls and were immediately deployed to the scene.

“Upon arrival, operatives found one victim, identified simply as “Stone,” lying in a pool of his blood with critical gunshot injuries.

“He was promptly evacuated in collaboration with the State Ambulance Service to the State Hospital, Ijaiye, Abeokuta, where he was confirmed dead by the attending doctor.

“The corpse has since been deposited at the hospital morgue for post-mortem examination.

Babaseyi said the Command has launched an intensified manhunt for the perpetrators and is actively pursuing credible leads to ensure their swift arrest and prosecution.

“Normalcy has been fully restored in the area, and adequate security presence has been emplaced to prevent any recurrence.

“Members of the public are advised to remain calm but vigilant. The Command reiterates its commitment to safeguarding lives and property and urges residents to provide timely and useful information to aid ongoing investigations,” the Ogun Police Command spokesperson said.

Fresh xenophobia Fears as Nigeria Prepares evacuation plan for citizens

Nigeria has warned its citizens living in South Africa to stay safe and avoid trouble because of planned anti-foreigner protests happening today, May 4, 2026.

The Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg shared this warning in a statement signed by the Consul General, Ambassador Ninikanwa Okey-Uche.

According to the consulate, some groups in South Africa have called for nationwide protests in all nine provinces. These groups claim that foreigners benefit more from the country than South Africans and are demanding that all foreigners leave.

The protesters are also planning marches to push foreigners out. While exact protest locations are not known in most cities, people in Johannesburg are expected to gather at Mary Fitzgerald Square in Newtown.m The march is planned between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m., with a message to be delivered at noon.

There may be disruptions in major cities like Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town, and Durban.

Nigerians have been advised to stay alert, avoid any clashes with protesters, and follow news updates. Business owners are also encouraged to consider closing their shops temporarily, as foreign-owned businesses could be targeted.

The consulate said it is ready to support Nigerians and is working with South African authorities to ensure their safety.

Due to rising tensions, about 130 Nigerians have signed up for possible evacuation flights arranged by the Nigerian government. The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, said the plan follows President Bola Tinubu’s order to protect Nigerians abroad.

Previous protests held between April 27 and 29 were mostly peaceful but had heavy police presence. However, there were a few incidents, including the deaths of two Nigerians after encounters with security officers.

More protests are expected between May 4 and May 8. Nigerian officials say they are still discussing with South African authorities to protect citizens and prevent violence.

Ondo: Police prosecute 2 kidnap kingpins identified by 9 victims

By Ayorinde Oluokun

The Ondo State Police Command said it has arraigned two suspected members of a notorious kidnapping syndicate identified as Bello Denge and Umar Isah with charges bordering on kidnapping and other violent crimes after they were identified by nine of their victims.

The spokesperson of Ogun Police Command, Abayomi Jimoh said in a statement on Monday that the two suspects were arraigned after they were identified by nine of their victims during an identification process conducted at the Command Headquarters.

According to the statement, the victims independently confirmed the suspects’ active involvement in a series of abductions that have plagued several communities in Iluabo, Eleyowo, Iju-Itaogbolu, and Pelebe areas of the state.

The victim, Jimoh said, focused on vulnerable targets such as farmers working in remote areas and their activities had created fear and disrupted socio-economic activities within the communities.

Following their arrest, police arraigned the suspects on 30th April 2026 with charges bordering Kidnapping and other violent crimes and they were remanded in prison pending further trial.

The Police statement party reads” Following diligent and intelligence-driven operations, two suspected members of a notorious kidnapping syndicate have been apprehended, identified, and prosecuted. The suspects, Bello Denge (male, 30 years) and Umar Isah (male, 25 years), were positively identified by no fewer than nine victims of kidnapping during an identification process conducted at the Command Headquarters. The victims independently confirmed the suspects’ active involvement in a series of abductions that have plagued several communities.

“Investigations revealed that the suspects are part of a criminal network responsible for orchestrating and executing kidnapping operations in Iluabo, Eleyowo, Iju-Itaogbolu, and Pelebe, with a particular focus on vulnerable targets such as farmers working in remote areas. Their activities had created fear and disrupted socio-economic activities within these communities.

“Upon the conclusion of a thorough investigation and in line with established legal procedures, the suspects were formally charged to court on 30th April, 2026 with charges bordering Kidnapping and other violent crimes. They have been remanded at Nigeria Correctional Service, Olokuta. This step underscores the Command’s firm commitment not only to arresting criminal elements but also to ensuring that due process is followed and justice is served.

“The Command emphasizes that the charging of suspects to court is a critical component of justice delivery. It ensures accountability, upholds the rule of law, and provides victims with the opportunity to seek redress through the judicial system. Prosecution serves as a deterrent to others who may be inclined to engage in criminal activities, while also reinforcing public confidence in the criminal justice system.”

APC extends deadline for 2027 aspirants’ forms, revises screening dates

The The party also adjusted its screening schedule, giving prospective candidates more time to complete the nomination process.

The APC further disclosed that the screening of aspirants would take place from Friday, 8 May to Tuesday, 12 May 2026.

It added that the list of screened aspirants would be Wednesday, 13 May 2026.

OAU SSANU, NASU Join Nationwide Strike Over 2009 Agreement Implementation

By Dorcas Elusogbon

Academic activities at the Members of the two unions on Monday staged a peaceful protest at Freedom Park in Ile-Ife, carrying placards with inscriptions demanding immediate action from the authorities.

Speaking during the protest, the SSANU Chairman at OAU, Mr Ademola Junaid, said the industrial action was triggered by the government’s delay in concluding and implementing the long-standing agreement reached with university workers.

He, however, acknowledged recent intervention measures by President Despite this, Junaid expressed concern over what he described as continued neglect of SSANU and NASU members, noting that their demands had not received adequate attention.

“We are still suffering. The Federal Government has not been sincere about addressing our concerns,” he said, urging authorities to urgently engage the unions and resolve the impasse.

Also speaking, NASU Chairman at the institution, Mr Dayo Oyediwura, accused the Federal Government of selective treatment within the university system, alleging that the demands of one union had been prioritised over others.

He called for fairness and equity in addressing the grievances of all university unions to ensure lasting industrial harmony.

The development adds to growing tensions in Nigeria’s tertiary education sector, where unresolved labour issues continue to threaten stability and disrupt academic activities across institutions.