Lorry driver charged over TikTok hate speech, incitement against Museveni’s NRM

A lorry driver has been charged with hate speech and incitement to violence over statements allegedly published on his TikTok account and has been remanded until February 11, 2026.

Henry Bbosa, also known as General Taiga and Musege, 35, was on Monday arraigned before Grade One Magistrate Rhoda Acham Ochom at Nakawa Chief Magistrate’s Court on two charges arising from videos he allegedly shared on TikTok under the handle @taiga46uu.

According to the charge sheet, Bbosa is accused of hate speech contrary to Section 26(1)(c) and (2) of the Computer Misuse Act, Cap 96. He denied the charges when they were read to him.

Prosecution led by Ms Rita Atukunda alleges that between January 2025 and January 2026, at various locations including Kayunga, Kampala and Luwero districts, Bbosa used a computer to send or share information relating to Banyarwanda and Banyankole, including threats to kill members of those tribal communities.

The state contends that the information was inflammatory and likely to promote hostility against the said tribes or ethnicities.

Bbosa also faces a second count of incitement to violence contrary to Section 47(1)(a) and (b) of the Penal Code Act, Cap 128.

Prosecutors allege that during the same period and using the same TikTok account, he published statements calculated to bring about death or physical injury to supporters of the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) party or to lead to the destruction or damage of property. NRM is led by Uganda’s president since 1986, Yoweri Museveni.

Ms Atukunda told court that investigations were still ongoing, adding that: ‘We pray for a date for mention and that the accused be remanded.’

Defence lawyer Jonathan Elotu said he did not oppose the request for an adjournment but asked that it be kept short.

‘The circumstances of my client’s arrest raised concerns. The accused person was picked up from his home, none of his family members actually knows where he is now and he was taken to an un-gazetted detention facility,’ he submitted.

‘It would be in his best interest and in the interest of justice that a short adjournment is given to allow him make a better bail application at the next hearing date,’ Mr Elotu added.

In her ruling, Magistrate Ochom ordered that Bbosa be remanded.

‘You are hereby remanded until February 11, 2026,’ she said.

Court records indicate that the charges stem from a series of videos circulating on Bbosa’s TikTok account in which he allegedly discussed what he termed a ‘protest vote.’

In the videos, prosecutors said, he made statements encouraging violence, including references to using weapons and incendiary materials, targeting homes of NRM supporters, and destroying property.

The prosecution also cites language that allegedly promoted hostility against specific ethnic groups.

Outside court, the case last week drew public attention following comments by first son and Chief of Defence Forces (CDF), Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba.

In a post on his X account, the CDF said: ‘We have captured this terrorist today. He said people who support NRM should be killed. He is going to pay for his crimes.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *