JAMAICA-FINANCE-Government denies person identified to replace outgoing BOJ Governor

Finance and the Public Service Minister, Fayval Williams, has dismissed media reports that the Senior Deputy Governor of the Bank of Jamaica (BOJ), Dr Wayne Robinson, is the front runner to replace Governor Richard Byles, who is set to step down upon the completion of his term on August 18, 2026.

The Jamaica Observer newspaper quoting a senior government source, Sunday reported Robinson had emerged as the front-runner to become the next BOJ governor. But Williams has distanced the government from that statement, saying the committee appointed to search for the next governor has not yet submitted its shortlist to Cabinet.

In a statement, the Finance Minister said that Cabinet had not been informed of any front-runner and warned that speculation and the naming of candidates could undermine the selection process.

She said applications were received and reviewed solely by the search committee, which has not yet tendered its shortlist.

The Jamaica Observer said that before it had published its story on Sunday, it had been unsuccessful in obtaining a comment from Williams, who reminded the publication that the committee process is similar to the one used seven years ago to select Byles, with candidates interviewed before findings were presented.

She said that the committee, which was appointed in April, is expected to complete its assignment by the end of this month.

Cabinet will then consider the names and decide on the individual to be recommended to the governor general for appointment under the Bank of Jamaica Act.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *