The Uganda Law Society (ULS) has expressed concern over the collapse of opposition politician Dr Kizza Besigye during his treason trial, urging the Judiciary to safeguard his constitutional right to a fair and public hearing.
In a statement issued on Thursday, ULS president Isaac Ssemakadde said the lawyers’ body was deeply concerned by reports that Dr Besigye collapsed in court during proceedings before High Court judge Emmanuel Baguma.
Dr Besigye collapsed in the court dock during proceedings on Wednesday after protesting the commencement of his treason trial, arguing that he had been denied legal representation of his choice.
He was later rushed to Mulago National Referral Hospital for medical attention.
His choice of legal representation is Martha Karua, who has since been barred from accessing the country, and former Kampala Lord Mayor, who is currently in jail over related charges of misprision of treason.
Also in their statement, the Law Society criticised what it described as last-minute restrictive guidelines, saying they limited media access, photography, live broadcasting and public scrutiny of the proceedings.
According to ULS, the restrictions undermine the constitutional guarantee of a public hearing.
“While Article 28(1) of the Constitution guarantees every person the right to a fair hearing within a reasonable time, we must caution that haste must not be mistaken for the speediness of justice. Rushing proceedings at the expense of fundamental safeguards – such as proper legal representation, medical fitness of the accused and transparency – does not serve justice; it undermines it,” Mr Ssemakadde said.
He added that every accused person, regardless of the charges they face, is entitled to a fair and public trial under Article 28 of the Constitution.
“This includes the right to legal representation of their own choice, adequate time and facilities to prepare a defence, and open justice through transparent proceedings,” he said.
The lawyers’ body argued that proceeding with state-appointed lawyers despite Dr Besigye’s objections, while his preferred lawyers allegedly faced documented obstacles, risked undermining confidence in the judicial process.
ULS also questioned the handling of pending applications related to the case, including Miscellaneous Application No. 269 of 2026 seeking a stay of proceedings and Miscellaneous Application No. 248 of 2026 concerning alleged interference with the defence team.
According to the statement, proceeding before those applications are determined could erode the integrity of the trial.
The society called on the court to ensure that Dr Besigye receives independent and appropriate medical care following his collapse in court.
It also urged the Judiciary to review the publicity restrictions, engage the Bar and media on balanced guidelines for court coverage, and prioritise live streaming of the proceedings through official Judiciary platforms and accredited media to promote open justice.
The lawyers further asked the court to hear and determine the pending miscellaneous applications expeditiously and grant any necessary adjournments to safeguard due process.
“The Bar will continue to monitor this matter closely and stands ready to defend the independence of the legal profession and the rule of law. We urge the Judiciary leadership to heed growing public concern over this case before irreversible damage is done to the institution’s credibility,” Mr Ssemakadde said.
The four-time former presidential candidate is accused of hatching a plot to overthrow the current government by force of arms.
He is jointly charged with his political ally Hajj Obeid Lutale and UPDF officer Denis Oola.
They deny the charges.