ANTIGUA-SEARCH-Coast Guard ends search for missing fishermen

Antigua and Barbuda Coast Guard says it has suspended its active search for three fishermen who have been missing at sea since July 16.

The men – Rowel Martin, Gregory Questelles and Cleofoster Jarvis – were last seen leaving Point Wharf aboard the fishing vessel Lady Madesha and were die to have returned two days later.

Acting Commanding Officer of the Coast Guard, Captain Vaughn Simon, said officials met with the families earlier this week to explain the decision and that the police are continuing their investigations and that ‘any further update beyond that …we can provide that to the public directly’.

He said the authorities have also been informed that a bucket believed to belong to one of the missing fishermen had been recovered on the eastern side of the island.

‘Police are looking into that because that that bucket with the items is in the custody of the police at the moment and we’ve asked them to go ahead and look into it to see what they can determine.’

Simon said that the Coast Guard has carried out extensive air and sea searches with support from regional partners, including the St. Kitts Coast Guard, the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre in Guadeloupe and the Antigua and Barbuda Search and Rescue Team.

He said while the active search is now suspended if new information comes to light the search operations can resume and that the authorities continue to urge anyone with information that could help locate the fishermen or their vessel to contact the Coast Guard or the police.

Rowel Martin’s sister, Sandra Martin, said the family has grown increasingly frustrated as the search has continued without answers. She said that the bucket belonging to her brother, containing his mobile phone and food, was found on a beach in English Harbour.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *