Senate Blue-Ribbon panel to investigate substandard public works-Erwin Tulfo

RECENT rains induced by typhoons and the southwest monsoon (habagat) have surfaced once more the dismal state of public infrastructure, and the chairman of the Senate Blue-Ribbon committee, Sen. Erwin Tulfo, vowed to move decisively against public infrastructure that crumbles at the first sight of rain.

Setting his sights on exposing substandard government projects and holding those responsible to account, Tulfo said in a radio interview, ‘Apart from the new names and issues connected to flood control mess, we will also investigate substandard projects. Bridges, roads, and public works that clearly failed to meet standards. We will investigate them one by one.’

Tulfo added, ‘Obviously there’s corruption in there because you are given this certain amount of budget to construct these structures according to standards, but it’s unfinished or subpar.’

The Blue-Ribbon chairman said the committee is coordinating with the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and other related agencies.

Highlighting the urgency, a major retaining wall along Epifanio delos Santos Avenue (Edsa)-Ayala northbound lane in Makati City collapsed following a series of typhoons, blocking two crucial lanes and paralyzing metro traffic.

Public Works Secretary Vivencio Dizon flagged the structure after revealing that the collapsed segment was dangerously constructed using light board material that is only suitable for dry season, instead of reinforced concrete.

While Tulfo emphasized his readiness to expand the flood control investigation as new leads and high-ranking figures emerge, he made it clear that the Blue-Ribbon committee is simultaneously zeroing in on systemic corruption across other agencies. Building on his track record as a relentless vice-chairman before taking the committee’s helm, Tulfo underscored that the flood control scam is just one among numerous corruption issues that need to be unraveled.

‘Corruption has plagued this system for too long, and we are tackling it head-on, one issue at a time. We will be strict in gathering rock-solid evidence, and we will conduct this strictly by the book,’ he further concluded.

It will be recalled that the multibillion scandal involving plunder of flood-control funds were first exposed during the President’s State of the Nation Address in 2025.

The economy has suffered the past year, after a massive crackdown on corruption and reforms in the public infrastructure system stalled public spending, crippling growth.

Public anger

SEN. Panfilo M. Lacson said on Monday that unless Filipinos see genuine retribution and restitution, their anger over the flood control issue will not go away anytime soon.

Lacson said the latest flooding in several parts of the country over the weekend, following heavy rains, has once again fueled public anger over the issue.

‘The flood control issue will not go away easily. After a heavy downpour leaves flooded streets and yards, people will not be short on words in cursing politicians, Department of Public Works and Highways officials and contractors-unless, and this is probably-genuine retribution and restitution become the order of the day no matter who were involved,’ he said in a post on X.

Since last week, heavy monsoon rains have affected several parts of the country, prompting the suspension of classes and work. Thousands of families were forced to leave their homes due to the flooding.

In August and September 2025, Lacson delivered two privileged speeches detailing the extent of corruption behind anomalous flood control projects in Bulacan and Mindoro, among other areas.

He also chaired Senate Blue Ribbon committee hearings on the issue, with the evidence gathered during the proceedings contributing to the building of cases against those involved.

Earlier this year, Lacson and his team turned over to the Ombudsman pieces of evidence involving anomalous flood control projects in Taguig City.

Lacson said that if it were not for the Blue-Ribbon investigation under his watch-along with the determination and resoluteness of Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla and the efforts of the media and netizens to keep public anger over the issue alive-I don’t know how the government can even claim whatever accomplishments we have at the moment, or one year after President Marcos’ 2025 Sona ‘Mahiya naman kayo’ remark.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *