Sri Lanka Tourism’s much anticipated interim overseas promotional campaign has been pushed from its previously announced August launch to September, raising concerns within the industry that the delayed rollout could leave the country with ‘little time’ to influence bookings for the crucial winter tourism season.
The Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau (SLTPB) had earlier announced that the market-specific interim campaign would commence in August, beginning with Germany, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, before expanding to India, China and Russia in September (https://www.ft.lk/front-page/Sri-Lanka-to-launch-global-tourism-campaign-by-year-end-interim-market-blitz-begins-in-August/44-794450).
However, SLTPB Managing Director Sanjaya Niroshan yesterday confirmed that the announcement on the rollout will only be made on Wednesday (19), with the actual campaigns now being prepared for implementation from 1 September.
‘The interim campaign will commence in Australia, with our roadshows scheduled to begin from 31 August,’ he told the Daily FT.
‘We are moving ahead with interim market-specific campaigns while preparations for the global destination branding campaign continue. The objective is to maintain Sri Lanka’s presence in key markets until the global campaign is launched,’ Niroshan said.
He acknowledged that the campaigns will initially target New Zealand, Germany, and the UK followed by India, China, and Russia, while France, South Korea, and the Netherlands are expected to be covered subsequently.
The shift comes at a critical juncture for the tourism industry, with Sri Lanka entering the booking period for its peak winter season. Industry stakeholders have been pressing authorities to launch an interim campaign while the much larger global branding exercise remains pending.
Industry sources said they had repeatedly advocated for an interim promotional push to maintain Sri Lanka’s visibility in key source markets until the global campaign is operational. The concern is that starting the campaign only in September could be ‘cutting it too fine’ to generate meaningful demand for the winter season, particularly in long-haul European markets, where holiday planning and bookings are often made well in advance.
The delay is also taking place against a backdrop of softening arrivals.
Sri Lanka welcomed 1,436,929 tourists by 13 August 2026, compared with 1,467,694 during the corresponding period last year. During the first 13 days of August alone, arrivals fell 5.9% year-on-year (YoY) to 93,511, compared with 99,406 in the same period of 2025. July arrivals had also recorded a marginal 1.7% decline to 196,845, following much sharper contractions in March and April amid disruptions to international aviation caused by the Middle East conflict.
India has remained a key buffer, with 358,608 arrivals recorded during the first seven months of the year, followed by the UK with 140,892 and China with 94,890.
Niroshan assured that the Rs. 3.5 billion global destination branding campaign remains on track for launch by the end of this year or early 2027.
The comprehensive campaign is intended to reposition Sri Lanka in international markets and support the Government’s longer-term target of attracting 5 million tourists and generating $ 8 billion in tourism earnings by 2030.
He said the SLTPB has completed procurement for several high-value overseas marketing contracts to support the international rollout.
Niroshan described the interim campaigns as a major shift from fragmented, individual-market promotions towards a coordinated strategy targeting high-value source markets.