Police in Nansana, Wakiso District, have arrested a 34-year-old Congolese national suspected of running a cross-border syndicate that buys stolen mobile phones in Kampala and smuggles them to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The suspect, identified as Justine Kulimushi, was apprehended during a joint operation conducted by Nansana Police and intelligence officers following a targeted crackdown on downtown phone-fencing networks.
Kampala Metropolitan Police Deputy Spokesperson, ASP Luke Owoyesigyire, said the arrest followed investigations into an iPhone valued at Shs3 million, which was reported stolen at Nansana Police Station on April 21, 2026.
Digital tracking of the stolen device revealed it had been moved to Kalungi Plaza-a commercial hub in central Kampala frequently targeted by security operations for illegal handset trading-before being transported to Beni in eastern DRC.
“Further intelligence indicated that the suspect frequently travelled to Uganda specifically to buy stolen mobile phones for shipment to Congo,” Mr Owoyesigyire said.
On August 20, 2026, security agencies received a tip-off that Kulimushi had returned to the country and was actively purchasing stolen devices from dealers around Kalungi Plaza.
During the arrest, police recovered 27 second-hand mobile phones of various makes and models. Investigators noted that the devices had already been factory-reset or flashed to alter their identifying software and conceal their origin.
The phones are believed to have been snatched or stolen from various parts of the Kampala Metropolitan Area before being funnelled to commercial arcades for resale to cross-border traders.
Kulimushi remains in custody as security forces work to trace the supply network, identify local accomplices, and locate the rightful owners of the recovered property.
Police have urged members of the public who have recently lost mobile phones in the metropolitan area to report to the nearest police station with proof of ownership to assist in verification and recovery.