A structure allegedly linked to a serving senator from the North-East and accused by residents of obstructing a major canal in Maitama Extension, Abuja, had not been demolished as of Friday afternoon, Weekend Trust findings showed.
This paper had earlier reported the flooding of several houses, particularly around Goalview Estate, Maitama Extension, following heavy rainfall over the last weekend.
Residents had attributed the flooding to indiscriminate construction, blocked drainage channels and obstruction of waterways in the area.
However, a revisit to the area by our correspondent on Friday showed that the structure in question remained standing, with no visible demolition or major palliative work carried out to restore the flow of water through the affected section of the canal despite the directive by FCT Minister Nyesom Wike that structures blocking waterways be pulled down.
The structure is located along a section of the waterway which residents said had been covered with concrete to create a platform for construction.
Residents said the development had significantly narrowed the canal and restricted the free flow of rainwater, thereby worsening flooding whenever there was heavy rainfall.
One of the residents told Weekend Trust that the situation had remained a source of concern, particularly following the recent flooding that affected homes and other properties in the area
They said they expected relevant authorities to address the obstruction and ensure that waterways were kept free to prevent further flooding.
Another resident said the recent flooding had reinforced concerns previously raised over developments allegedly carried out on waterways and designated green areas.
‘Whenever there is heavy rainfall, the water has nowhere to go because some of the channels have been blocked,’ a resident identified himself as Isa POS said.
The residents also complained that some structures in the area were being erected close to or directly on drainage corridors and waterways, which they said had reduced the capacity of the drainage system.
They called on authorities to inspect the affected structures and take appropriate action where violations are established.
As of Friday afternoon, however, no demolition had been carried out on the structure allegedly linked to the senator, and no specific palliative measure to address the obstruction was observed by our correspondent.
Residents said they remained dissatisfied with the situation and urged the authorities to provide a lasting solution before another heavy downpour triggers fresh flooding.
The development comes days after officials of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) carried out demolition of parts of another property on Mississippi Street, Maitama, on Tuesday amid complaints over obstruction of waterways and flooding in the area.
Residents of Maitama Extension added that they were concerned that failure to address the identified obstructions could expose more homes and properties to flooding as the rainy season continues.