For Lascuña, age no barrier on golf course

TONY LASCUÑA reminded everyone that experience and skill reign supreme as the veteran campaigner seized the first-round lead in the highly-competitive International Container Terminal Services Inc. Caliraya Springs Championship with a brilliant eight-under 64 for a two-stroke lead over Angelo Que and Clyde Mondilla in Cavinti on Tuesday.

With the notorious Caliraya winds taking a rare break beneath dark skies, the stage was set for an exceptional day of golf in the P2.5-million championship.

Lascuña took full advantage of the winter condition in golf and led the charge with a bogey-free round that showcased the caliber of a player who has long dominated the Philippine Golf Tour.

A record five-time Order of Merit winner, Lascuña, 55, not only defied Father Time but also delivered a performance worthy of yet another championship.

‘I feel like young again. I hit all fairways and greens and finished with 28 putts,’ said Lascuña in jest, basking in the glow of his performance, made even more impressive by the lift, clean and place rule in effect due to the fairways’ uneven conditions from summer heat.

Yielding 50-60 yards to the Tour’s revered long hitters, Lascuña relied on his trusted fairway woods and newly acquired Srixon irons to dominate the course.

He birdied four of the first seven holes and added another four on the back nine.

‘It’s been a long time since I shot this low, it’s exhausting but the conditions were great,’ said Lascuña, recalling his last win in adverse weather conditions at Splendido Taal in 2024.

But Que, the reigning Order of Merit winner, and multi-titled Mondilla lurked closely behind with matching 66s and Keanu Jahns entered the mix with a 67, aiming for back-to-back championships after defeating Que by four strokes in this event last year.

The rolling Caliraya layout, known for its challenges, transformed into a scoring paradise under these conditions, yielding 35 under-par rounds and 11 even-par cards.

This raised the stakes significantly for the chase for the top 40 and ties that will advance to the final two rounds of the second leg of the 10-leg circuit organized by Pilipinas Golf Tournaments Inc.

Que, poised to match Lascuña’s flawless performance, stumbled with a bogey on the tricky par-four 18th but still managed a superb 31-35 round, which included three birdies and an eagle on No. 4, along with birdies on Nos. 16 and 17. ‘I didn’t make any mistakes except for the last hole, but that’s golf,’ said Que, eager to remain at the top of the PGT heap for a second straight season. ‘I hit a lot of fairways and greens and made many putts. Good weather always helps produce low scores.’

Mondilla birdied five of his first 12 holes and closed with a birdie-bogey-birdie finish for a 34-32.

‘There were many chances that didn’t go in,’ he said. Jahns also eagled No. 4, notching six birdies but stumbling with a bogey and a double bogey at the par-3 11th. Still, with a five-under, the Fil-German stood just three strokes off Lascuña, alongside Fidel Concepcion, Jeffren Lumbo, Dino Villanueva, and Rupert Zaragosa.

Meanwhile, Koreans Lee Song and Ryoto Furuya led the international charge with 68s, joining Russell Bautista, Gabriel Manotoc, Ivan Monsalve, and Nilo Salahog in a tie for ninth.

Sean Ramos birdied two of the last five holes, leading a tightly contested group at 69 that includes contenders Art Arbole, Jay Bayron, Michael Bibat, Aidric Chan, Jhondie Quibol, and Boni Salahog, making the leaderboard intensely competitive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *