Marcos okays ?90-B Parañaque spillway revival, blasts garbage-clogged canals

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is eyeing to start the construction of the P90-billion Parañaque spillway and the creation of a comprehensive waste management system to further enhance flood control mitigation measures in Metro Manila.

Speaking during the inspection of the deployment of a high vacuum self-priming drainage trailer pump at the Alido Bridge in Las Piñas last Tuesday, the Chief Executive highlighted the importance of the completion of the spillway, which he said was shelved for over a decade.

‘So, I have instructed [Public works] Secretary Vince [Dizon] to review the plans first. Let’s see if anything needs to be changed. But whatever needs to be done, we must get it finished. Let’s put the spillway in place. That is a huge factor in addressing flooding in the NCR [National Capital Region],’ Marcos said.

Last Monday, the Department of Agriculture and Laguna Lake Development Authority announced the revival of the 10.5-kilometer spillway, which was first proposed in the 1970s.

It will connect the Laguna de Bay to the Manila Bay and pass through Muntinlupa, Parañaque, Las Piñas, and Bacoor City.

DPWH Secretary Vivencio ‘Vince’ B. Dizon said they will engage the affected local government units to finally implement the delayed project.

‘I think that is the issue there-there are some questions from local government units. But this is something that is important, but this is something that we will need the cooperation of the local government units,’ Dizon said in Filipino in a press briefing last Monday.

The project, which is expected to take more than 10 years to complete, drew concerns from residents in Muntinlupa City and Bacoor City that it can lead to displacement.

Marcos said the spillway will augment the ongoing dredging activities of DPWH to raise the capacity of waterways.

He attributed the swift drop in the floodwater ways from the recent weather disturbances from the said dredging activities.

‘So, even though there is still some flooding, the water level has significantly receded-it is no longer as deep as before. Secondly, the water drains away faster because we have already opened up the drainage canals,’ the President said.

Proper garbage disposal

The Chief Executive, however, expressed his dismay on the tons of garbage which clogged waterways in Paranaque after the heavy rainfall caused by Tropical Storms ‘Maymay’ and ‘Luis,’ as well as, the Southwest Monsoon.

‘But since the drainage canals had been opened, everything flowed into them; this coincided with high tide, causing the trash to get trapped there,’ he added.

To help manage the country’s garbage problem, Marcos reiterated his endorsement for the passage of the Waste Treatment Technology bill, which is now part of the priority pieces of legislation of his administration.

In his explanatory note for House Bill (HB) No. 3913, the Lone District of Muntinlupa City Jaime R. Fresnedi said the piece of legislation will repeal ‘outdated prohibition on incineration’ allowing the safe disposal of waste, while also generating energy.

‘It would be a huge help if our barangay personnel-who we know are already hardworking-would double their efforts to prevent this; after all, we will all end up as victims of the very trash we throw away-it will inevitably come back to haunt us,’ she said in Filipino in a press briefing last Tuesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *