PNP recommends charges vs. Aplasca, 2 others

THE National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP CIDG) on Wednesday announced that it has recommended the filing of charges against suspended acting Senate Sergeant-at-Arms (OSAA), retired police Maj. Gen. Ma. Oronado Ranada Aplasca, and two of his men, in the wake of the May 13 gun discharge incident at the Senate premises in Pasay City.

In a media briefing, the PNP CIDG chief, Maj. Gen. Robert AA Morico II, said investigators recommended the filing of charges as the three were found to have fired their weapons last week.

He added this action is a clear violation under the implementing rules (IRR) of the Republic Act 11917, or the Private Security Services Industry Act.

Under the IRR of Republic Act 11917, Morico said that there are ‘six stages that need to be observed before the use of lethal force. And it does not include the use of a warning shot.’

‘We will transmit our findings to the DOJ [Department of Justice]. It is up to the DOJ to assess,’ he said.

Under the IRR, there are six levels of the ‘force continuum’ used by private security personnel: alert presence (Level 1); verbal communication (Level 2); physical restraints (Level 3); use of chemical agents (Level 4); temporary incapacitation (Level 5); and use of force or use of firearms (Level 6).

‘Firearms shall be used only when there is imminent danger and in self defense or defense of strangers,’ the IRR further states.

Investigation revealed that there was not even a threat in the Senate when the incident happened and the succeeding actions of the OSAA clearly goes against the basic rules of common sense in securing an area that was supposed to have been under attack.

Morico also said the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agent had fallen back, firing back at Aplasca and the Senate personnel, with at least five shots toward the direction away from the Senate.

Afterward, the NBI agent had met up with his companion and they regrouped with their team, the CIDG chief further detailed.

Morico said they are now conducting an investigation to identify the person or persons who may have misled Aplasca that NBI agents were about to storm the Senate to arrest Sen. Ronald dela Rosa, Aplasca’s original Philippine Military Academy classmate and provincemate.

Morico noted that Aplasca had surrendered a 9mm firearm, but investigators have yet to establish whether it was the same firearm the latter was holding as seen on security footage. Aplasca snubbed the summon sent by the CIDG, but based on the PNP findings, there were 44 spent cartridges recovered at the Senate and all of them were fired from four different firearms.

Morico also said the three other alleged shooters already surrendered the weapons.

Sources said Aplasca fired his gun after he became excited by the presence of NBI agents at the Government Service Insurance System building next to the Senate premises.

The NBI agents were sent to secure the GSIS building upon the request of the government insurer’s management who felt threatened by the rowdy pro-Duterte crowd near the premises.

The GSIS and the Senate share the same building

Meanwhile, the investigation into the May 13 Senate gunfire incident was guided by strict reliance on physical and digital evidence, including CCTV footage and ballistic analysis, the PNP said.

‘This investigation serves as a testament to the PNP’s commitment to truth and accountability. We do not operate on rumors or political narratives,’ the PNP chief, Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr., said in a statement, lauding the investigating teams.

‘Our duty is to the facts, and by adhering strictly to the evidence – such as ballistic trajectories and verified CCTV footage – we uphold the integrity of our mandate to protect the public and ensure that justice is grounded in reality, not fear.’

Nartatez praised the investigating units for the speedy completion of the probe, finished in less than a week, underscoring the PNP’s reliance on evidence-based findings over speculation.

‘By prioritizing factual analysis-including ballistics and digital forensics-over speculation, our teams ensured that we provided the Filipino people with clear, objective answers in record time, proving that the PNP remains a highly capable and responsive institution,’ he said.

Nartatez also stressed the importance of promptly releasing the findings to prevent misinformation and public confusion.

‘By acting swiftly and openly, we aim to restore calm, demystify the events of May 13, and hold all involved parties accountable based on the irrefutable evidence we have uncovered,’ he said.

The investigation was conducted in line with the directive of President Marcos and Interior Secretary Juanito Victor Remulla to leave ‘no stone unturned’ in uncovering the truth behind the incident.

The investigation report was formally turned over to acting Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida during a press briefing in Malacañang on Tuesday.

During the briefing, Remulla said the Senate was not under attack on the night of May 13, citing that evidence gathered so far, including CCTV footage and sworn statements, indicated that the incident was initiated by Aplasca, and not an armed assault against the chamber.

According to Remulla, CCTV footage reviewed by investigators showed Aplasca firing the first shots toward National Bureau of Investigation agents who were at the GSIS premises to secure the area.

Despite the evidence gathered and reviewed in recent days, Remulla emphasized that investigators have yet to conclude whether the incident was staged or premeditated.

‘We will let the evidence speak for itself,’ he said. ‘The investigation remains ongoing, and all angles will be examined carefully and fairly.’

Nartatez said Aplasca had been directed to appear before the CIDG to surrender his firearm and undergo ballistic examination, but has so far failed to comply. With PNA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *