The Government of Saint Lucia has defended its handling of the disappearance of fishermen at sea in February 2026, saying the matter has been managed responsibly and in keeping with established procedures.
The statement on Thursday came a day after Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre faced questions from an Al Jazeera correspondent, during the closing press conference of the 51st CARICOM Heads of Government Meeting, about the government’s response to the disappearance of Saint Lucian fisherman Ricky Joseph.
Josh Rushing, senior correspondent for the documentary series, Fault Lines, on Al Jazeera English, said he had spent the week on the island investigating the disappearance of Joseph and another man. Their families believe they died in a United States strike on a boat in February, although there has been no official confirmation of this. Police continue to treat the matter as a missing persons investigation because no bodies have been recovered.
In its statement on Thursday, the government said that in cases involving missing persons, the next of kin are recognised under the law as the persons responsible for official communication and engagement.
‘The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force has also been in contact with the relevant authorities in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines in its efforts to obtain and verify information surrounding the case,’ it said. ‘To date, there has been no confirmation of the recovery of any bodies connected to the missing individuals.’
During the press conference at Sandals Saint Lucia, Prime Minister Pierre said the government remained concerned about the situation and had sought information from United States authorities.
‘We are very concerned about the loss of life for anybody. We’ve requested information from the United States, and we’ve not gotten any information as to what happened,’ Pierre said.
He explained that without confirmation of what occurred, law enforcement agencies must continue their investigations.
‘Our own law enforcement is trying its best to decipher what happened,’ the prime minister said.
The government, in its latest statement, said Pierre had expressed concern for the affected families and recognised the distress and uncertainty they continue to experience.
‘The Government remains committed to treating this matter with the seriousness, compassion, and sensitivity it deserves,’ the statement said.
It added that authorities would continue to engage with next of kin, liaise with relevant authorities, and ensure that verified information guides public statements on the matter.
Pierre had also pushed back against suggestions that the families had been ignored.
‘These families are our people. They are my people, so I’m very concerned about them. I’m sure more than you…. After this week, you’re going to be leaving; I’m here with them,’ he told Rushing at Wednesday’s press conference.
The issue also prompted broader discussion among regional leaders about the use of lethal force by states.
Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley said that while international law recognises circumstances in which force may be used, she favours peaceful solutions.
‘Morally, I would prefer not to see it,’ Mottley said, adding that Barbados has consistently advocated for alternatives to violence.
‘Barbados always believes that there are better ways to deal with things rather than through the loss of life, whether it is the war in Gaza, whether it is internal conflict elsewhere.’