SURINAME-SUICIDE-Public Health Minister expresses concern over high number of suicides

Public Health, Welfare and Labour Minister, André Misiekaba, is calling for an urgent and national approach to suicide after figures released by the police show a significant increase in cases in the month of June.

There is no official total count of reported suicide cases for Suriname in 2026 but according to Suriname Police Force (KPS) 22 cases of suicide had been recorded in the month of June and Misiekaba said every case is one too many.

‘The police figures show that we should indeed be concerned,’ Misiekaba told the state-owned Suriname Communication Service (CDS), acknowledging that this issue is causing a shock effect in society.

‘We are concerned, but at the same time, we make the policy. So we are looking at exactly what needs to be done,’ he said, noting that in line with the policy, concrete actions are being taken.

He said that the national crisis hotline aimed at professional guidance and initial support during acute crise and launched on June 5, is one of them, appealing to society to make full use of the service.

Misiekaba said that while the service is not a miracle cure, there are experts who are willing to listen and ‘in any case, they can refer you to the places where you can receive help and guidance’.

Misiekaba said as a second action point, a broad-based council consisting of all stakeholders will be established, acknowledging that he is aware that numerous activities in the field of mental health are being undertaken by various agencies.

However, he believes that these activities are fragmented.

‘And we said: ‘No, we are going to bring everyone together. Everyone who is already doing something,’ Misiekaba said, adding that the strategic policy must be outlined by the council to be established.

‘Then the agencies can proceed with the implementation,’ Misiekaba said, adding that the intention is to have the council operate from his department.

Misiekaba said that incidents of bullying at school are also receiving his ministry’s attention and that the 123 helpline, also known as the Mi Line of the Children and Youth Helpline Foundation, is available. He said people, including children can also call 114 if they feel the need to do so.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *