Trump says he brokered peace between Azerbaijan and Armenia in 24-hour push

‘They are good people, but they are tough. I think they have become friends,’ said U.S. President Donald Trump, referring to President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev and Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan during the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace in Washington, AzerNEWS reports.

The U.S. President stated that he achieved peace between two very important countries and will never forget it. ‘I want to thank you very much. This was a great thing that you and your new friend did. We worked out for 24 hours, and it was a good piece. I think they have become friends,’ he added.

Board of Peace adopts transparency principles in unanimous decision signed by Trump

US President Donald Trump has signed the resolution of the Board of Peace as the Chairman of the Board.

According to AzerNEWS, members of the Board of Peace voted on a resolution defining the principles of financial integrity and transparency that will govern the Board’s operations. The resolution was adopted unanimously.

Following the vote, other leaders joined Donald Trump in signing the donation commitment agreements.

European Commission clears SOCAR’s takeover of Italy’s Italiana Petroli

The European Commission has approved the acquisition by the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan (SOCAR) of 99.82 percent of shares in Italy’s Italiana Petroli (IP) from API Holding, AzerNEWS reports, citing the Commission.

According to the Commission, the transaction primarily concerns the supply of crude oil and petroleum products. Regulators concluded that the deal does not raise competition concerns, given the limited market impact, and therefore assessed it under the simplified merger procedure.

Italiana Petroli is among Italy’s largest integrated downstream platforms, operating thousands of fuel stations nationwide, two oil refineries with a combined processing capacity of around 10 million tons per year, and a countrywide logistics network.

The company also markets specialty products including bitumen, aviation fuel, and lubricants.

The agreement between SOCAR and API Holding to purchase the stake in Italiana Petroli was signed on September 23, 2025.

Uber considers stricter driver background checks

Uber Technologies, Inc. is planning to tighten its driver screening policies following reports that individuals with certain criminal records were allowed to operate on its platform, according to The New York Times, AzerNEWS reports, citing foreign media.

Previously, the company permanently barred drivers convicted of serious crimes such as murder, sexual assault, kidnapping, and terrorism. However, in 22 U.S. states, individuals with convictions for other violent offenses – including child abuse, assault, and stalking – were reportedly permitted to drive if the offenses had occurred more than seven years earlier.

Investigations by the same newspaper also revealed that between 2017 and 2022, Uber received reports of sexual assault or misconduct in the United States approximately every eight minutes on average. This figure appears significantly higher than the frequency previously communicated by the company in its public safety reports.

In response to growing scrutiny, Uber is expected to review and potentially extend the lookback period for background checks, as well as strengthen real-time safety monitoring tools. The company has previously introduced measures such as in-app emergency buttons, ride-tracking features, and audio recording options to enhance passenger protection.

The renewed focus on screening highlights the broader challenge facing ride-hailing platforms: balancing second-chance employment policies with passenger safety concerns. As regulators and advocacy groups call for stricter oversight, changes in Uber’s policies could influence industry-wide standards for background checks and driver accountability.

Japan plans to ban powerbanks on airplanes

The Japanese Ministry of Transport has announced a ban on the use of power banks aboard flights departing to and arriving from Japan, starting in April, AzerNEWS reports.

This decision comes in response to an increasing number of incidents involving fires and smoke caused by mobile batteries in the aircraft cabin. As lithium-ion batteries used in power banks can overheat or malfunction, posing a significant safety risk, the new rules aim to prevent potential accidents during air travel.

The new regulations are expected to be officially approved in March, after which the Japanese authorities will revise the relevant provisions of aviation law. If approved, the ban will come into effect in April.

In addition to the ban on carrying power banks in the cabin, it’s likely that Japan will also implement stricter guidelines for their transport in checked luggage. This measure is part of a broader global effort to enhance flight safety as incidents involving overheating batteries continue to be a concern for the aviation industry.

This move by Japan reflects a growing trend among countries to impose stricter regulations on the transport of dangerous goods, particularly those with potential to cause fires. Given the growing reliance on electronic devices and the increasing size and capacity of portable chargers, this could signal the beginning of a broader push for international safety standards in aviation concerning lithium-ion batteries.

Baku warns of Kremlin-linked information campaign targeting Azerbaijan

A coordinated disinformation campaign launched in recent weeks on social media against Azerbaijan, particularly targeting Ilham Aliyev and members of his family, is not the result of spontaneous emotional reactions or isolated online activity, according to informed sources, AzerNEWS reports.

Instead, the campaign is described as systematic, planned, and centrally coordinated, bearing the hallmarks of an organized information provocation. Sources familiar with the matter say the trail of coordination leads directly to the Kremlin, framing the operation as part of a broader hybrid strategy pursued by Russia against Azerbaijan.

According to a reliable source, this marks a new phase in Russia’s hybrid pressure campaign. While earlier stages relied heavily on cyberattacks, the current focus has shifted toward what officials describe as information terrorism, aimed at undermining psychological stability and public confidence.

In previous months, Azerbaijan faced large-scale cyber offensives targeting state institutions, media platforms, and critical infrastructure. Officials say Baku possesses detailed information about the technical architecture of these attacks, including server chains and coordination hubs. The latest shift, however, signals a tactical change: rather than technical disruption, the objective is now societal pressure and psychological impact.

Azerbaijan, sources stress, is closely monitoring developments. Baku is said to be fully aware not only of steps already taken but also of potential next moves. Officials reject any assumption that such actions will go unanswered, emphasizing that the country has built its own security architecture and response mechanisms, including in the information domain.

‘Hybrid warfare is silent in its execution, but loud in its consequences,’ one source noted, adding that external pressure tactics no longer yield results in Azerbaijan. ‘This is not the Azerbaijan of the past.’

Officials caution that any belief in Moscow that these actions will pass without a firm response is a dangerous illusion. Azerbaijan, they say, neither accepts pressure nor ignores covert plans, warning that every move carries consequences.

Culture Minister responds to citizens’ appeals in Gakh district

As part of ongoing efforts to engage with the public and address citizens’concerns, Azerbaijan Culture Minister Adil Karimli has held a reception in Gakh district, AzerNEWS reports.

Before the reception, the minister and the head of the district executive authority Elvin Pashayev laid a wreath in front of the monument to the National Leader Heydar Aliyev erected in the city of Gakh, paying tribute to his dear memory.

At the reception held at the Heydar Aliyev Center in Gakh district, citizens from Shaki, Gakh, Oguz, Gabala, Zagatala and Balakan districts presented their applications.

The residents’ applications were mainly related to changing jobs, projects and initiatives related to the cultural sector, employment and other issues.

The Culture Minister listened to the requests and proposals of the citizens and said that appropriate steps would be taken to promptly investigate each of the mentioned issues and resolve them in accordance with the legislation.

At the reception, which was also attended by responsible employees of the ministry, instructions were given to pay special attention to and objectively consider the issues raised by the families of martyrs and veterans.

UK to require social media platforms to remove offensive content within 48 hours

Social networks operating in the UK will be required to delete offensive photos and videos within 48 hours of receiving a complaint; otherwise, they could face heavy fines or even be blocked, AzerNEWS reports.

The amendments were introduced by the UK government to the draft Crime and Policing Bill currently under consideration in the UK Parliament. The new measures are primarily aimed at tackling so-called ‘revenge porn’ , the publication of intimate images by former spouses or partners after a breakup.

In addition, the creation and distribution of sexualised images without a person’s consen, including those generated using artificial intelligence tools such as deepfake technology will be classified as a ‘priority crime.’ This means that law enforcement agencies will treat such offences with the same level of seriousness as crimes involving violence against children or terrorism.

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer emphasized that such content must be removed within a strictly defined timeframe.

‘We are putting companies on notice: any image shared without consent must be removed within 48 hours. Violence against women and girls has no place in our society, and I will not stop until we have done everything possible to eliminate it,’ he said.

Failure to comply with the new rules could result in fines of up to 10% of a company’s global annual revenue – potentially amounting to billions of pounds for major technology platforms.

Experts note that these changes reflect a broader global trend toward stronger regulation of online platforms and greater accountability for protecting users’ privacy and dignity in the digital age.

Former UK Prince Andrew arrested over Epstein files revelations

Prince Andrew, Duke of York was arrested on Thursday, his 66th birthday, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, according to Thames Valley Police. The offense carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment in the United Kingdom, AzerNEWS reports.

The police did not name Andrew, following standard UK legal practice, but confirmed that two addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk were searched as part of the investigation. Unmarked police vehicles were also spotted outside his Sandringham residence.

‘We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,’ said Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright. ‘Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.’

The arrest follows weeks of scrutiny over Andrew’s friendship and dealings with Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew has consistently denied any wrongdoing in connection to Epstein and expressed regret over their friendship.

The arrest marks a rare instance of a senior royal being taken into custody. The last comparable case involved Princess Anne, who in 2002 was convicted under the Dangerous Dogs Act after her dog injured two children – reportedly the first criminal conviction of a royal.

The case caps years of growing public and legal pressure on Andrew, the brother of King Charles III and son of the late Queen Elizabeth II. Authorities and media outlets are now closely monitoring developments.

Trump: We have been doing a really good job

‘We have been doing a really good job. Some of these leaders, who are with us helped me very much,’ US President Donald Trump said during his speech at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace.

Trump noted that he had settled eight wars during his presidency, ‘I think a ninth to come turned out to be a tougher one. I thought that was going to be the easiest one. But with war, you never know what’s easy and what’s not so easy. We’ve had a great relationship. And I have become friendly with so many of the people. And I appreciate you being here. These are great people. These are great leaders.’