Elon Musk plans AI version of ‘Odyssey’ based on Homer’s epic

Elon Musk has announced that his artificial intelligence company xAI plans to create a full-length AI-generated film adaptation of Homer’s ancient Greek epic The Odyssey using its video generation tool Grok Imagine, AzerNEWS reports citing foreign media.

In a post on the social media platform X, Musk said the movie would be released before the end of the year and would be historically accurate and true to the art of Homer. He also shared a short AI-generated clip depicting a scene inspired by The Odyssey, which was created by another user with Grok Imagine.

The announcement comes amid Musk’s criticism of director Christopher Nolan’s upcoming adaptation of The Odyssey. Musk has previously attacked Nolan’s casting decisions, particularly the choice of actors, arguing that the film does not reflect what he considers an accurate portrayal of Homer’s world.

Elon Musk’s planned AI version has sparked debate over what historical accuracy means when adapting The Odyssey, a literary epic that combines ancient Greek culture with mythology, including gods, monsters, and supernatural events.

Experts and commentators have noted that producing a feature-length AI film would also present major technical challenges, including maintaining consistent characters, visuals, and storytelling across an entire movie.

Zelensky arrives in US for Lindsey Graham funeral

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky arrived in the United States on Tuesday to attend the funeral of late Republican senator Lindsey Graham, who died suddenly on July 11, AzerNEWS reports.

“I have already arrived in the United States. Our schedule includes meetings with President [Donald] Trump, his team, and those who can support our defense. Our number-one priority is anti-ballistic defense and strategic cooperation with America. Peace needs to be brought closer,” he wrote on X.

Middle Corridor opens new route for Kazakh exports

“Kazakhstan Temir Zholy” (KTZ) has organized the first-ever multimodal shipment of mineral fertilizers from the city of Ekibastuz to the United Kingdom, AzerNEWS reports.

The shipment is being carried via the Trans-Caspian International Transport Route (TITR), also known as the Middle Corridor, using both rail and maritime transport. The cargo will travel through Kazakhstan, across the Caspian Sea, and onward through Azerbaijan and Georgia before being transported by sea from the ports of Poti and Batumi to the Port of Felixstowe in the United Kingdom.

The new route will enable Kazakhstan’s fertilizer producers to increase exports to the UK market. The use of the Middle Corridor will also help diversify logistics routes and ensure more reliable cargo deliveries.

KTZ has been steadily expanding the geographical reach of its international transportation services. The company previously organized the export of Kazakh products along the Ekibastuz-Miami route. The latest shipment marks another step in expanding the delivery of Kazakh products to European markets via the Middle Corridor.

NOC Vice-President praises Azerbaijan’s role in hosting major events

Azerbaijan’s experience in hosting major international sporting events continues with the U-17 World Wrestling Championships in Baku, where future wrestling stars are competing on a global stage, AzerNEWS reports.

Speaking at the opening ceremony of the U-17 World Wrestling Championships in Baku,

Vice-President of the Azerbaijan National Olympic Committee Chingiz Huseynzade addressed the opening ceremony of the U-17 World Wrestling Championships in Baku.

In his speech, Chingiz Huseynzade described the tournament as a significant milestone for the country’s sports sector.

He noted that Azerbaijan is once again hosting a major sporting event and underlined the importance of holding such competitions in the country.

“Because the athletes competing here will take part in the Olympic Games in several years,” Huseynzade said.

The NOC Vice-President expressed confidence that the championship would contribute positively to the development of Azerbaijani sport, particularly wrestling.

He highlighted the support provided by President Ilham Aliyev for the development and promotion of wrestling in Azerbaijan, adding that the Azerbaijan Wrestling Federation’s activities have always received high appreciation from the country’s leadership.

“The majority of medals won at the Olympic Games belong to our wrestlers. The athletes participating here are our future. They will represent Azerbaijan with dignity at the Olympic Games,” Huseynzade said.

He wished success to all competitors and expressed hope that the strongest athletes would win.

The championship will once again demonstrate Azerbaijan’s high standards in organizing major international sporting events.

The U-17 World Wrestling Championships are being held at the National Gymnastics Arena in Baku and will conclude on August 2.

Foreign Ministry: Russia-Armenia matters should not be tied to Azerbaijan

Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ayhan Hajizada said that Russia-Armenia issues should no longer be discussed in a way that links them to Azerbaijan, AzerNEWS reports.

Hajizada made the remarks in response to a question from local media regarding comments by Maria Zakharova, spokesperson for the Russian Foreign Ministry, on the Karabakh region and the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO).

According to Hajizada, Zakharova’s latest remarks concerning the former Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict distort reality.

“The Karabakh region has always been recognized by the international community, including the Russian Federation, as an integral part of Azerbaijan,” Hajizada noted.

He stressed that attempts to repeatedly raise the issue of applying CSTO mechanisms to Azerbaijan’s sovereign territories that had been under Armenian occupation for 30 years, and to link this issue to whether the Karabakh region was recognized or not by Armenia, are not only contrary to Russia’s official position regarding Azerbaijan’s Karabakh region but are also completely unfounded.

“Azerbaijan restored its territorial integrity and sovereignty in accordance with the requirements of international law, thereby resolving the former conflict. In this context, the practice of commenting on issues related to Russia-Armenia relations in connection with Azerbaijan should come to an end,” the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry spokesperson emphasized.

On July 27, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova, speaking at the Gvardeysk youth forum, said that although Armenia had called for the CSTO mechanism to be used, questions remained over who and what it would be applied to.

Zakharova argued that the CSTO’s collective security mechanism could not have been used because “Nagorno-Karabakh” was not recognized by Armenia either as its own territory or as an independent entity.

Russia warns UK against using Gripen jets in Ukraine

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova warned the United Kingdom on Monday about the fate of its Gripen fighter jets if they are used against Russia in Ukraine, AzerNEWS reports.

“[Former UK Prime Minister Keir] Starmer announced in Ukraine Britain’s intention to seek pound 300 million for the joint production and delivery of 16 new Gripen E fighter jets, a third of which are British-made, to the Ukrainian Armed Forces by 2029. Moreover, he probably knows what fate awaits them if they are used against the Russian Federation,” Zakharova said.

The Russian spokesperson also accused Western Europe of “trying with all its might to once again transform itself into that very neo-Nazi, militaristic monster.”

New heatwave to hit Spain amid wildfires

Spain’s weather service AEMET issued a new warning on Monday for a “long” heatwave starting Wednesday, and set to last at least until Sunday. Temperatures could hit or surpass 40°C across much of the country, pushing wildfire risks to “extreme” and “extraordinary” levels, AzerNEWS reports.

The warning comes as firefighters in the country already battle 118 active blazes. The most critical fires are in Madrid, Avila, Toledo, Leon, and Huelva. In Villa del Prado, San Martin de Valdeiglesias, and Burgohondo, some 40,000 people have been evacuated or confined.

The EU announced earlier that it is sending six planes to Spain from Greece, Italy, and Turkey, plus 134 personnel from Portugal to help. With over 170,000 hectares burned, six times last year’s total, PM Pedro Sanchez warned that “difficult and complex hours lie ahead.”

Iran says it is still exchanging messages with US through mediators

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei has stated that Tehran and Washington continue exchanging messages through intermediaries, AzerNEWS reports.

According to Baghaei, Iran maintains communication with the United States through mediator countries, including Pakistan, Oman, and Qatar. He noted that before any further dialogue can continue, the environment of trust that has been damaged must first be restored.

The Iranian official said that Tehran had fulfilled its commitments regarding ensuring safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz, but claimed that the United States carried out new strikes before the agreed period had ended.

Baghaei described Washington’s actions as a violation of agreements and emphasized that Iran’s main priority remains ensuring the security of its people.

It sould be noted that the US and Iran have submitted their responses to a proposal put forward by Pakistan and Qatar to resume talks between the countries, Al Arabiya and Al Hadath reported on Sunday.

Shortly afterward, a source told Al Arabiya and Al Hadath that Iran has not withdrawn from negotiations but has suspended them, despite being ready to continue dialogue in accordance with the US-Iran Memorandum of Understanding.

Iran also told Pakistani officials that it has rejected the creation of a new corridor in the Strait of Hormuz.

Could freezing Ukraine war contain Russia’s regional ambitions

For more than four years, the Russia-Ukraine war has been a geopolitical pressure cooker, with every new military escalation raising the temperature far beyond the battlefield. The question now is whether the lid can be put back on before the pressure spills into a wider regional crisis. A freeze would not amount to peace, nor would it resolve the territorial disputes at the heart of the conflict. However, it could create something that has become increasingly scarce: strategic breathing space.

The idea of freezing the war, raised by Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on 25 July, is diplomatically significant but, under current circumstances, only moderately feasible as an immediate political outcome. The Kazakh leader suggested that the conflict be frozen and negotiations resume based on an updated version of the 2022 Istanbul framework, backed by security guarantees from major powers, including Russia. The Kremlin, however, quickly rejected the idea, arguing that a freeze was impossible under Kyiv’s current position and that Moscow remained committed to achieving its objectives.

Nevertheless, the difficulty of implementing a freeze should not obscure its potential geopolitical value. A ceasefire along roughly the existing front line would be considerably easier to negotiate than a comprehensive peace agreement. It could stop the immediate fighting without forcing either side to formally abandon its maximalist territorial claims. In this sense, a freeze may represent a more realistic first step towards peace than an attempt to settle every outstanding issue at once.

But it is not easy again…the central obstacle remains Russia. Moscow’s stated position is fundamentally at odds with the concept of a simple pause. The Kremlin has linked any lasting settlement to major Ukrainian concessions, including territorial issues and Kyiv’s future security orientation. A freeze, by contrast, would suspend the conflict without necessarily delivering those concessions. If Russia believes that continued military pressure can improve its negotiating position, it has little incentive to accept a ceasefire that could consolidate the current front line.

This is where the question of security guarantees becomes decisive. For Ukraine, the danger of a frozen conflict is obvious. A ceasefire without credible guarantees could simply provide both sides with time to rearm, leaving Kyiv vulnerable to another Russian offensive. Ukraine would therefore need more than diplomatic assurances. Any viable arrangement would require robust international monitoring, a mechanism for responding to violations and long-term security commitments capable of deterring renewed aggression.

The role of Russia itself in such a guarantee system would be particularly complicated. Moscow’s participation could be important because a sustainable freeze ultimately requires Russian acceptance of the arrangement. Besides, the guarantee would have to be structured in a way that prevents Russia from using its status as a guarantor to exert political pressure over Ukraine or to veto the country’s sovereign foreign policy choices. The credibility of any agreement would depend on Russia accepting that a frozen conflict means a genuine halt to military expansion, not simply a tactical pause.

This issue extends beyond Ukraine. A durable freeze could potentially reduce the perception of Russia as an unpredictable military force across the wider post-Soviet space. In recent years, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan have all had to factor Russian unpredictability into their strategic calculations, albeit in very different ways. A conflict freeze that included meaningful international guarantees could send a broader signal that Russia’s military ambitions would not automatically expand into neighbouring regions once the fighting in Ukraine subsides.

That would be particularly important for the South Caucasus. The region is undergoing a profound geopolitical transformation, with Azerbaijan strengthening its independent foreign policy, Armenia recalibrating its security relationships and Georgia navigating an increasingly complex relationship with both Russia and the West. A prolonged war in Ukraine has increased uncertainty across this space. A genuine freeze could, at least temporarily, lower the risk that instability in one theatre spills into another.

But this is also why the 2022 Istanbul framework cannot simply be revived as it was. The geopolitical landscape has changed dramatically. Any new settlement would have to address questions that remain unresolved or have acquired greater importance: Ukraine’s security guarantees, the status of occupied territories, sanctions, military force levels, reconstruction and Kyiv’s future relationship with NATO and the European Union. An “Istanbul 2.0” would therefore need to be a substantially revised framework rather than a return to an earlier negotiating template.

The biggest question is ultimately who benefits from freezing the war.

For Russia, a freeze could obviously consolidate territorial gains, reduce battlefield costs and provide economic relief. But Moscow may also calculate that time remains on its side and that continued pressure can secure better terms.

For Ukraine, a freeze would stop the destruction and provide an opportunity to rebuild, but only if the country could be confident that the pause would not become a temporary breathing space for another offensive.

For Europe and the United States, a freeze could reduce the risk of escalation and create room for diplomacy. However, Western governments would still face the difficult task of maintaining Ukraine’s security without allowing the frozen conflict to become a permanent source of instability.

For countries such as Kazakhstan, the benefits would be even broader. A ceasefire could reduce economic and geopolitical spillovers, protect trade and energy routes and create a more predictable environment for regional connectivity. The war has already disrupted transport and energy networks extending far beyond the immediate conflict zone.

The military logic of a freeze may therefore be stronger than the political logic. Both sides may eventually recognise that continuing the war is more costly than pausing it, but that calculation has not yet fully aligned. The challenge is to design a freeze that does not merely postpone the next war.

This is why the concept deserves serious consideration despite its current political difficulties. A freeze should not be viewed as an alternative to peace, but as a possible bridge towards it. If supported by credible guarantees, international monitoring and a clear commitment to preventing renewed military expansion, it could do more than silence the guns in Ukraine. It could begin to reduce the wider geopolitical uncertainty that has spread across Europe’s eastern frontier and the South Caucasus.

The real test, however, will be whether the major powers can turn a frozen battlefield into a stable security architecture. Without that, the ice will eventually crack. With it, a temporary pause could become the first stage of a broader regional reset.