Six Dead, Several Injured In Stampede at GAF Recruitment Exercise

A tragic stampede occurred early today at the El-Wak Sports Stadium in Accra during the commencement of the Ghana Armed Forces’ 2025/2026 recruitment exercise, resulting in the death of six potential recruits and injuries to many others.

In a press release issued by the Department of Public Relations of the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF), preliminary investigations revealed that the stampede was triggered when an unexpected surge of applicants breached security protocols and rushed through the gates ahead of the scheduled screening time.

The statement, signed by Captain Veronica Adzo Arhin, Acting Director General of Public Relations (Ghana Navy), confirmed that the injured are receiving emergency medical attention at the 37 Military Hospital.

She assured the public that medical teams are working tirelessly to stabilise those affected, while arrangements are being made to notify the families of the deceased.

‘The Ghana Armed Forces deeply regrets to inform the general public of this tragic incident,’ the release stated. ‘We extend our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and wish a swift recovery to those injured.’

The GAF also emphasised its commitment to ensuring safety and order in future recruitment exercises and pledged to provide further updates as investigations continue.

Chalobah, Trafford Replace Gordon, Pope In England Squad

Chelsea defender Trevoh Chalobah and Manchester City keeper James Trafford have been called up to the England squad following the withdrawals of Newcastle United’s Anthony Gordon and Nick Pope.

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe said both winger Gordon (hip) and goalkeeper Pope (concussion) would withdraw from the squad and the Football Association confirmed this on Tuesday.

Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi, who suffered a foot injury in his side’s Conference League win over AZ Alkmaar last week, has joined up with manager Thomas Tuchel’s squad and ‘will continue to be assessed in the coming days’.

England’s final World Cup qualifiers are against Albania and Serbia, with the Three Lions having already qualified for next summer’s tournament.

Chalobah earned his first call-up under Tuchel in May and made his debut against Senegal.

In September, Tuchel said the 26-year-old was unfortunate to be left out of the squad for qualifiers against Andorra and Serbia, and he also did not call him up for the subsequent October international break.

Tuchel has been an important figure in Chalobah’s career, having given him his Chelsea debut in 2021.

Chalobah has featured in all but four matches for Chelsea this season, with the club third in the Premier League, in the Carabao Cup quarter-finals and in the league phase of the Champions League.

England squad

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), James Trafford (Manchester City)

Defenders: Dan Burn (Newcastle United), Trevoh Chalobah (Chelsea), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Nico O’Reilly (Manchester City), Jarell Quansah (Bayer Leverkusen), Djed Spence (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Elliot Anderson (Nottingham Forest), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jordan Henderson (Brentford), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Morgan Rogers (Aston Villa), Alex Scott (Bournemouth), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace)

Forwards: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham United), Eberechi Eze (Arsenal), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Marcus Rashford (Barcelona, loan from Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal).

GoldBod, National Security Arrest 25 Over Illegal Gold Trade

The Ghana Gold Board (GoldBod), in collaboration with the GoldBod Taskforce and National Security operatives, have arrested 25 individuals, including Ghanaians and foreign nationals, for allegedly engaging in illegal gold trading, smelting, and assaying.

Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Gold Board, Richard Nunekpeku, told the media yesterday in Accra that the arrests followed two separate intelligence-led operations conducted at Dome Pillar 2 and Akweteyman-Achimota in Accra.

He said the operations led to the seizure of over GHS64,000 and USD112,500 in cash, along with several gold bars and other valuable exhibits believed to have been used in the illegal trade.

The Deputy CEO also confirmed that all the suspects have been granted police inquiry bail, with some already arraigned before the court, while others remain under investigation.

Mr. Nunekpeku expressed GoldBod’s commitment to sanitise the country’s gold sector, while cautioning individuals and entities operating without licences to desist from such unlawful activities.

He further stated that the Ghana Gold Board, in collaboration with national security agencies, will intensify surveillance and enforcement efforts to safeguard the country’s mineral resources and uphold full compliance with mining regulations.

I’m Not Illuminati – Black Sherif Clarifies Rumours

Ghanaian music sensation, Black Sherif, has clarified that he has not joined the internationally acclaimed occult group ‘Illuminati’, following rumours circulating on social media linking him to the secret society.

Speaking in an interview on Guide Radio’s ‘Up and Running’ breakfast show hosted by Abena Soreno and Thomas Arthur, the BET Award winner stated that he is not a member of the illuminati group.

‘I’m not illuminati. You know us as human being we be spiritual not illuminati. What you see is gangstafara (sic),’ he said.

Following the release of the ‘Iron Boy’ album cover picture and animation, Black Sherif has been the subject of discussions and online rumours regarding the ‘Illuminati’ secret society, with some social media users speculating that he has links to the group.

The dark and mysterious aesthetic of the cover art and trailer led to speculation about the album’s themes and Black Sherif’s alleged affiliation with the secret society. His team and commentators have generally dismissed these claims as marketing strategies or internet speculation.

However, Black Sherif has addressed the rumours, clarifying that he is not part of the Illuminati. In an interview, he explained that the album’s title, ‘Iron Boy,’ is a tribute to Ghanaian highlife pioneer Amakye Dede, who had an album with the same name.

Black Sherif stated that the album is about resilience, toughness, and freedom, reflecting his personal journey and experiences.

CJ Nominee Proposes November 7 For General Election

Chief Justice Nominee, Justice Paul Baffoe-Bonnie, has proposed for the country’s general elections to be held on November 7 instead of the traditional December 7 date.

He believes the shift would give the courts enough time to resolve election petitions before the swearing-in of a new president.

Appearing before Parliament’s Appointments Committee on Monday, November 10, 2025, Justice Baffoe-Bonnie explained that the one-month gap between the December 7 polls and the January 7 inauguration is too short for the proper hearing and determination of electoral disputes.

He said that the experience from past election petitions shows that the current timeframe puts pressure on the judiciary and could undermine confidence in the electoral process.

‘After the election petition, we came to the conclusion that petitions should be concluded before January 7, which is the inauguration day. The best suggestion that came up was to hold elections on November 7 or 8,’ he noted.

According to him, if elections are conducted in early November, results could be declared by November 10, allowing nearly two months for any petitions to be filed, heard and determined before the new administration takes office.

‘Assuming we go by the 42-day window provided under CI 99, petitions can be filed, responded to and tried within that period,’ he added.

Justice Baffoe-Bonnie further proposed the adoption of electronic service of court documents to speed up the petition process. He said the manual system of personally serving respondents often causes unnecessary delays.

‘In this age, we can use digital addresses or phone numbers for online contact. If petitions are served electronically, it can take three days instead of a week,’ he explained.

He emphasised that with the election date moved to November and digital processes introduced, all electoral petitions could be completed before the end of December, ensuring both fairness and efficiency in the country’s electoral justice system.

Aziz Futa Calls For Long-Term Backing For Didi Dramani

FORMER HEARTS of Oak management member Aziz Haruna Futa has called on the club’s hierarchy to commit to a long-term project under head coach Didi Dramani, urging leadership to give him at least six years to rebuild the team.

Dramani, a former Black Stars assistant coach, took over earlier this season following the exit of Aboubakar Ouattara. Since his appointment, he has led the Phobians to fifth place on the Ghana Premier League table, recording four wins, four draws, and just one defeat-against bitter rivals Asante Kotoko.

Aziz Futa, who once served as the club’s Supporters’ Chief, expressed strong confidence in Dramani’s ability to restore Hearts of Oak to their former glory.

‘Didi Dramani is not a bad coach,’ he said. ‘He needs time and a project. The club needs a project, whether six years or more, so the coach can work.’

Hearts of Oak will look to return to winning ways when they travel to the Swedru Sports Stadium to face Swedru All Blacks on November 15.

The Accra giants are pushing to reclaim the Ghana Premier League title, which they last lifted in 2021-their only league triumph since 2009.

Bagbin Apologises To Judiciary Over Vetting Misconduct

The Speaker of Parliament, Alban Sumana Kingsford Bagbin, has formally apologised on behalf of Parliament to members of the judiciary following what he described as ‘discourteous’ behaviour by some Members of Parliament (MPs) during the vetting of the Chief Justice nominee on Monday.

Addressing the House yesterday, Mr. Bagbin said his attention had been drawn to comments and conduct exhibited by certain MPs during the Appointments Committee’s proceedings, which may have appeared disrespectful to members of the judiciary who were in attendance.

‘Such conduct, though not representative of the collective will of Parliament, is regrettable and inconsistent with the decorum expected of Members under the Standing Orders of Parliament,’ he said.

The Speaker emphasised that Parliament’s Standing Orders require members to maintain order and civility both in the House and in committee sittings, refraining from the use of offensive, insulting, or unbecoming language.

He particularly cited Order 123(3), which cautions members against imputing improper motives or using words likely to cause offence.

Mr. Bagbin reaffirmed Parliament’s unwavering respect for the judiciary as a co-equal arm of government, underscoring that the 1992 Constitution, under Article 125(1), vests the judicial power of Ghana in the judiciary and guarantees its independence from any control or direction.

He reminded members of the importance of maintaining mutual respect among the three arms of government (the Executive, Legislature, and Judiciary) in keeping with the doctrine of separation of powers.

‘The Standing Orders serve as a reminder that our proceedings must always reflect the dignity and integrity of Parliament as a key organ of state,’ the Speaker stated.

Mr. Bagbin disclosed that he had directed the leadership of the Appointments Committee to take note of the incident and ensure that all future vetting sessions are conducted with the highest levels of civility, objectivity, and institutional respect.

He urged MPs to uphold the longstanding spirit of cooperation and mutual regard between Parliament and the judiciary, stressing that both institutions must work together to protect the country’s constitutional democracy.

Concluding his remarks, the Speaker again extended Parliament’s ‘deepest apologies and assurances of continued respect for the judiciary and its esteemed members.’

Mr. Bagbin hinted at enforcing stricter discipline within the House, saying, ‘I will come back on this issue of decency, discipline, and decorum, and this time, I’m coming with the hammer, not the gavel.’

Sports Ministry Congratulates Muftawu Nabila Abdulai After GJA Award

The Ministry of Sports and Recreation has congratulated JoySports journalist Muftawu Nabila Abdulai on being named Sports Journalist of the Year at the 29th Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) Awards held in Kumasi.

In a statement signed on behalf of the Minister the Ministry praised Muftawu for his dedication to sports journalism and his consistent efforts toward advancing the industry.

‘The Ministry received the news with great excitement and pride, recognising your hard work, dedication to sports journalism, and the responsiveness qualities that have become your hallmark,’ the statement read.

The Ministry lauded Muftawu’s commitment to developmental sports reporting, describing his work as both impactful and essential to shaping public discourse on sports in Ghana.

‘The developmental angle of sports journalism that you embody is highly valued by the Ministry of Sports and Recreation,’ it added.

The statement further encouraged the two-time award winner to continue striving for excellence and to build on his achievements for the benefit of sports journalism and national development.

Muftawu Nabila Abdulai previously won the same award at the 2024 GJA Awards held at the Accra International Conference Centre.

I Have 18 Children With 9 Women – Kaakyire Kwame Appiah

Highlife musician Kaakyire Kwame Appiah has revealed that he is a proud father of 18 children with nine different women.

Speaking in an interview, the veteran artiste said he is not embarrassed about the number of children he has, insisting that he sees no reason to be ashamed.

‘I have 18 children with nine women, and I am not shy about it. Why should I be?’ he told Nana Romeo on Okay Fm.

Kaakyire Kwame Appiah, known for his hit songs Bronya and 24th, explained that he takes full responsibility for all his children and maintains good relationships with them.

They also know each other, and my last-born is 4 months old.

According to him, he actually wanted 25 children, adding that he would be happy if it happens.

He added that, despite public perceptions, having a large family is not a burden to him but rather a source of pride and joy.

The musician, who has been active in Ghana’s highlife scene for decades, noted that his experiences as a father have shaped his outlook on life and music.

Kaakyire Kwame Appiah remains one of Ghana’s respected highlife artistes, known for his contributions to the genre and his outspoken personality.

Telecel Foundation Launches 2025 Patient Freedom Drive

The Telecel Ghana Foundation has launched the 2025 edition of its flagship health relief initiative, Telecel Homecoming, at the Achimota Hospital in Accra, extending a lifeline to patients detained in hospitals over unpaid medical bills.

Now in its fourteenth year, the initiative reflects the Foundation’s long-standing commitment to promoting equitable healthcare access across Ghana.

Implemented in partnership with The Medical Reformist, a non-governmental organisation focused on social development and healthcare justice, the programme facilitates the discharge of insolvent patients from public hospitals nationwide.

This year’s Southern Belt phase, covering the Achimota Hospital in the Greater Accra Region, Gomoa Fetteh Hope Hospital in the Central Region, and the Sogakope District Hospital in the Volta Region, is expected to benefit about 80 patients.

The beneficiaries will be released to reunite with their families in time for the Christmas festivities.

Launched in 2011, Telecel Homecoming was conceived as a national charity initiative to tackle hospital insolvency, a challenge that continues to trap hundreds of patients in medical facilities despite recovery.

The programme settles outstanding medical bills and provides additional support, including maternity aid, laboratory fee coverage, medication, and care packages for discharged patients.

At the launch ceremony, Rita Agyeiwaa Rockson, Head of Foundation, Sustainability and External Communications at Telecel Ghana, said the initiative underscores the company’s belief that access to healthcare is a fundamental right, not a privilege.

‘Every year, we see how something as simple as settling a bill can change a life, reunite a family, or restore hope. Homecoming is about giving people back their dignity, because health should never be a privilege but a right for everyone,’ she said.

The event was marked by emotional scenes as staff and patients at Achimota Hospital applauded the release of several beneficiaries.

Salome Tetteh Frimpong, Deputy Chief Nursing Officer at the hospital, described the gesture as ‘a timely intervention’ that relieves pressure on both patients and healthcare facilities.

‘Some patients recover medically but are unable to go home because they can’t afford their bills. This gesture will go a long way to put smiles on the faces of discharged patients and their families. We will also ensure the donated medical supplies benefit more people and communities around us,’ she stated.

The Okaikoi North Municipal Director of Health, Dr. Nafisa Maame Alhassan, commended Telecel Ghana for complementing government efforts to strengthen the healthcare system through practical social investment.

‘Through Homecoming, Telecel Ghana is helping us meet one of the six critical components of health system strengthening. It’s an investment in the well-being of people within and beyond Okaikoi North. The payment of bills and donation of medical supplies will go a long way to support vulnerable patients and the hospital,’ she said.

Among the newly discharged patients was Joyce Agorgor, a first-time mother who had remained in the maternity ward after delivery because she could not pay her hospital fees.

‘I am very happy the Telecel Foundation has come to rescue me so I can go back home to my mother and family. I will never forget this day,’ she said.

The Southern Belt phase marks the first leg of the 2025 Homecoming initiative, with subsequent discharges planned for hospitals across the Middle and Northern belts in the coming weeks.

Over the years, Telecel Homecoming has become one of Ghana’s longest-running health relief programmes within the telecommunications sector.