2 Moro men shot dead in Sultan Kudarat province

Gunmen shot dead two Moro men on Saturday morning, August 8, in Barangay San Jose, President Quirino town, Sultan Kudarat.

Local executives and officials of the Sultan Kudarat Provincial Police Office separately told reporters on Sunday, August 9, that Mohammad Akmad Utap and Rohamin Mangansaken Bombolen both died at the scene from multiple gunshot wounds sustained in the attack.

The two men were walking along a thoroughfare in Purok Islam in Barangay San Jose, a residential area in President Quirino, when they were approached by unidentified gunmen who repeatedly shot them with pistols.

Barangay officials and investigators from the President Quirino Municipal Police Station who responded to the incident said the assailants had fled before volunteer community watchmen could reach the scene.

Municipal and barangay officials, along with police investigators, are working together to identify the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

LTFRB suspends taxi operator, driver

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) yesterday suspended for 30 days a taxi operator and the unit driver For charging a foreigner P2,000 for a five-minute trip last week.

In a separate move, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) confiscated the driver’s license and impounded the taxi cab.

The 30-day suspension stemmed from the foreigner’s vlog that showed the driver making the excessive charge for a short trip from the airport.

‘The worst part is that the driver also allowed another person to ride on the vehicle,’ LTFRB Chairman Vigor Mendoza said. ‘No passenger, much more foreign tourists whom we should welcome to the country, deserves this kind of treatment.’

Mendoza stressed that the act constitutes a gross violation of franchise rules and regulations.

Aside from impounding the taxi unit, the LTFRB ordered the operator to surrender the vehicle’s license plate and to subject the driver to a drug test.

According to LTO chief Markus Lacanilao, the taxi unit and operator had other violations that include a defective headlight, unregistered motor vehicle and breach of franchise.

Mendoza said the driver is set to attend a hearing on Aug. 19 and to explain in writing why he should not be held liable for the glaring violations.

He emphasized that the LTFRB will not hesitate to suspend and revoke the franchises of erring taxi operators and drivers, as he urged the public to report abuses promptly.

Alas Girls pull off milestone win in Chile

In any ballgame, they say the ball is round – anything can happen.

Them with the brave hearts make things happen. The Gilas Girls did it, pulling the rug from under their Mexican counterparts, 25-19, 20-25, 25-19, 25-23, in the FIVB Volleyball Girls U17 World Championship in Santiago, Chile.

The milestone win bolstered the Filipinas’ hope of crashing into the Round-of-16 as it jumped from last to a share of second with Venezuela and Peru on 1-1 records in the six-nation Pool B.

To crash the next round, the Nationals would need to finish in the top four in their group.

Leading the bracket was defending champion China, which dealt Alas a straight-set spanking the day before.

Caera Celis spearheaded the attack with 24 points on 22 attacks, a block and an ace, while Xyz Rayco scattered 15 hits, including 12 off kills, and Jhaynna Bulandres chipped in 10 for Alas Girls, who are being supported by the Philippine Sports Commission and ASICS.

A master switch by Alas coach Edwin Leyva, transforming Nadeth Harbon from wing spiker to libero spelled the biggest difference as it helped solidify the squad’s floor defense after a lethargic effort in the stinging loss to the Chinese.

Over at the women’s SEA V Cup Leg 2 in Chiang Mai, Thailand, Alas also eked out massive 22-25, 25-23, 25-21, 25-22 upset of Vietnam to improve to 1-1.

Remy Martin reiterates dream to play for Gilas

A Gilas stint remains to be the dream for Remy Martin.

The Filipino-American guard Martin, who will be representing Philippine-based Strong Group Athletics in the Jones Cup, said that it will be a dream come true for him if he plays for Gilas Pilipinas.

Speaking to reporters during the SGA open practice on Friday, the 6-foot guard Martin said that he hopes that he will be able to put on a Gilas jersey in the future.

‘I look at it as if I’m another player just trying to play for their country. I hope that one day, Gilas gives me the opportunity because that is my dream come true. That is bigger than making it to the NBA for me,’ he said.

‘I’ve been watching [Gilas] since I was young and always wanted to be on that type of platform,’ he added.

A big hurdle for Martin, however, is he was unable to get a Philippine passport before turning 16, which is a major FIBA requirement.

‘I hope the country and FIBA sees that I’ve been dual since… I just didn’t get my passport. I’ve just been dual. If I’m dual before 16, then we have a strong case for it,’ he said.

‘I think it’s just going through the right people and having people help me push it because there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be in a Gilas uniform. That is my dream.’

Another chance Martin could play for Gilas is in the Asian Games, where only a Philippine passport is required.

‘Like I said, everything about basketball, I think I’m good enough. I think I’m able to play at the highest level, but everything is system. If coach may feel like I don’t fit the team, then that’s on him. I understand it’s basketball and everybody wants us to win, but I think I’m one of the guys to help the Philippines win,’ he said.

‘I think that if I have the opportunity and it was up to me, I would have been playing in the Philippines for years now. If I have the opportunity, I will always take it.’

But for now, Martin will be representing the Philippines in the Jones Cup, with SGA aiming to win three straight championships in the tournament.

‘I think it was just perfect timing. I think like Coach Charles and SGA, we talked at a perfect time in my career. I just thought there hasn’t been too many people that’s won three-peats in the Jones Cup. I wanted to be one of the first to do that, especially in a Filipino uniform,’ he said.

‘I think we have a good team. I’m just here to show people that I care and I love playing and I love representing. I’ve been representing the Philippines since I was young, that’s all I know. I’m happy that I’m here and getting to do that.’

The last time a team won three straight championships in the tournament was Iran from 2009 to 2011.

Alex Eala overcomes injury scare to eliminate McNally

Filipina tennis star Alex Eala survived an injury scare in the second set to oust American Caty McNally 6-3, 5-7, 6-4 and reach the Round of 16 of the WTA 1000 National Bank Open on Saturday, August 8, at Sobeys Stadium in Toronto, Canada.

Eala was leading in the second set, 3-2, when she had her right ankle taped by a trainer during a medical timeout.

The world No.20 Eala was still on top 5-4 but McNally, who knocked out reigning Wimbledon champion Linda Noskova in the second round, won three straight games to force a deciding third set, 7-5.

Eala opened the rubber match with a 2-0 advantage and managed to protect it the rest of the way to finish off McNally after two hours and 39 minutes.

‘I’m okay. I think I survived that one, it was so tough,’ said Eala, who has now won 10 of her past 11 matches since Wimbledon including against world No.3 Jessica Pegula of the United States to win her first WTA title at the Mubadala DC Open last week at the US capital.

‘I want to thank Caty for a great match, and for being a great sport. It’s one of those matches that really could’ve gone either way. I think it was really down to details and a little bit of luck, so give her her flowers, guys. It was a really great match,’ she added.

The 21-year-old pride of Quezon City next faces Swiss 12th seed Belinda Bencic, who fended off McNally’s fellow countryman Taylor Townsend 6-7 (5/7), 7-6 (7/4), 6-4 in a grueling battle that lasted three hours and 24 minutes. They will clash on Monday, August 10, for a place in the quarterfinals.

Alas girls trounce Tunisia for share of Pool B lead

Alas Pilipinas has shaken off its underdog tag as it ran wild with a second straight win and preyed on Tunisia, 27-25, 25-19, 25-16, last Saturday (Sunday Manila time) in closing in on a Round-of-16 seat in the FIVB Volleyball Girls U17 World Championship here.

The Filipinas, ranked No. 25 in the world, relied on the old connection of Xyz Rayco and Resty Olaguir in leaping to a share of second with the Peruvians on 2-1 records, or just a shade behind the powerhouse Chinese, the reigning titlists who are currently unbeaten three matches in Pool B.

It came just a day after Alas’ four-set win over No. 8 Mexico, which happened to be the former’s first win in this biennial meet that is now on its second edition after the inaugural event in Lima, Peru.

More importantly, the Nationals, backed by the Philippine Sports Commission, ASICS and the Philippine Olympic Committee, inched a win away from barging into the next phase.

After Sunday’s much needed breather, they collide with the Peruvians today and close out the group round with a duel with the Venezuelans.

‘It feels different when she sets the ball, it feels like I can really kill it,’ said Rayco. ‘Of course, I’ll work hard to be able to play my best whoever I share the court with.’

The 16-year-old Rayco, top offensive threat in the Asian U16 meet in Jordan, finished with 13 points on 12 attacks and a block, including two of Alas’ final three points to steal the opening set.

Olaguir, for her part, said she didn’t expect to be fielded with Irish Mahinay running the offense, but the Ateneo setter settled in when Alas hit a shaky stretch in the opening set.

‘I’m happy I got in and contributed. I think I’m slowly getting back to the way I really play’ Olaguir said.

‘There are still a lot of things I need to work on. I hope this continues and that I don’t let my emotions get the better of me.’

Caera Celis continued her stellar play and wound up as Alas top scorer for the third straight match, delivering 15 points on 13 attacks and two blocks.

Pet business should start with passion, not profit

Passion – not profit – should be the driving force behind anyone planning to venture into the pet care industry.

A trade marketing officer of a pet care brand highighlighted this reminder to aspiring entrepreneurs who want to start a pet-related business.

“Start a pet business kapag ‘yung passion mo sa pet ay ‘di mapapantayan. You cannot start a pet business if you don’t love your fur babies. Kasi it will be profit-based,” Nathaniel Ladica, trade marketing officer of United Baarde Inc., told Philstar.com.

The company is behind Pure Choice Pet Care products.

La Mesa Dam nears spilling level amid ‘habagat’ rains

The La Mesa Dam in Quezon City is nearing its spilling level amid rains brought by the Southwest Monsoon, or “habagat.”

In an advisory on Sunday, August 9, state weather bureau PAGASA said the dam’s water level was at 79.75 meters as of 11 a.m.

This leaves the reservoir just 0.40 meters below its spilling level of 80.15 meters.

According to PAGASA, the Tullahan River, which flows through Quezon City, the cities of Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas and Valenzuela, may be affected if the reservoir reaches its spilling level.

The state weather bureau advised residents living along mountain slopes and in low-lying areas of the mentioned cities to remain alert for possible flash floods.

Meanwhile, Metro Manila and other areas may experience occasional rains due to habagat, according to PAGASA’s weather forecast.

As of 11 a.m., Metro Manila and other areas in Luzon were under a red rainfall warning, which means serious flooding is possible in flood-prone areas.

CSC suspends civil service exams in Luzon due to bad weather

The Civil Service Commission (CSC) has suspended the Career Service Examination-Pen and Paper Test (CSE-PPT) scheduled for Sunday, August 9, due to inclement weather.

The emergency suspension affects examinations for both the professional and subprofessional levels at testing centers in the National Capital Region (NCR), select provinces in Region IV-A, and parts of the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).

The suspension was prompted by inclement weather brought by monsoon rains affecting parts of Luzon.

The following areas are affected:

NCR: All testing centers

Region IV-A: Batangas, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal

CAR: Baguio, La Trinidad, and Abra

‘Affected examinees are advised to monitor the official Facebook page of the concerned CSC Regional Office and the CSC’s official communication channels for updates on the rescheduled examination and other related announcements,’ the CSC’s statement read.

Boyet Fajardo celebrates 48 years in fashion with holiday collection

Substance, Boyet Fajardo’s pioneering label for plus-size women, continues to fascinate the portly fashion forward set with his periodic palette. This holiday season, supermodel Melanie Marquez headlines Fajardo’s new Asian-inspired collection.

Two years shy of his golden anniversary in the garments and apparel industry, the pret-a-porter impresario is still forging ahead in full steam.

The impressive collection, mostly in black and white, with a few splashes of vibrant color, has captured the interest of the ready-to-wear (RTW) market.

‘Japanese designs have always been part of my collections. They are timeless, geometric, linear, and dramatic!’ said the designer of his Asian-inspired creations but with a distinctly Pinoy look.

‘I feel excited about this collection. I was never excited about my photoshoots before, but now I am! This collection highlights my 48 years in the fashion industry – through all the struggles – as my journey speaks volumes of my acumen throughout all the generations I’ve served; from the baby boomers to the millennials, and now the younger crowd.

‘I always want movement – constant movement – and never remain at a standstill, even during the global pandemic. I’ll do the things I’ve been dreaming to do all my life,’ he added.

Fajardo’s limited-edition pieces are locally made. He toiled over his holiday collection despite eyesight and physical infirmities.

Muse eternal

Leading the campaign Fajardo’s holiday campaign is beauty queen-supermodel Melanie Marquez, who flew in last month for a photoshoot. Marquez has been living in the United States in the past years.

‘My life is an open book, but one that is full of challenges. It may seem that I lead a glamorous life but, honestly, I hate dressing up and wearing makeup. Gusto ko, simple lang!’ shared the supermodel mom.

Fajardo’s holiday collection will be available soon at Robinsons, SM, Landmark, Sta. Lucia malls, KCC mall in Mindanao, G Malls in the Visayas, and in other select department stores all over the Philippines.

‘Compete only with yourself, than with others, to bring out the optimum in you! Fashion is my passion, so the best is yet to come!’ the designer said.