Security agencies in Ibanda District have launched a manhunt for a man accused of killing two women, including his wife, in a suspected domestic violence incident that has shocked residents.
The suspect, a resident of Kyarufubangi Cell in Kanyansheko Ward, Ibanda Municipality, allegedly murdered his wife, Phionah Nsimenta, and a neighbour, Oliver Nalugo, in the early hours of Monday before fleeing.
Ms Monica Nshemereirwe, a sister to Nsimenta, said she received a disturbing phone call from the suspect shortly before dawn.
‘I received a phone call from him telling me that my in-law would come and check on your sister because I have killed her. He told me to come and pick her body before it rotted in the house. It was around 5:30am,’ Ms Nshemereirwe said.
When family members arrived in the area, residents first directed them to a body lying by the roadside, which turned out to be Nalugo.
Ms Nshemereirwe said they then proceeded to her sister’s home, where they found the house locked.
‘We waited for police, who came and broke the door. Her body was found lying in a pool of blood, while her two young children were sleeping nearby. They had no idea what had happened,’ she said.
Residents who spoke t Monitor said the couple had a history of domestic disputes.
Ms Mackline Kyomukama, a resident, said local leaders had repeatedly intervened to reconcile the pair.
‘They often fought and leaders would always intervene. We never imagined the misunderstandings would end this way,’ she said.
Another resident, Ms Hilda Tushabomwe, said fear and insecurity were growing in the community.
‘There is a lot of fear in our area. These days you cannot move around after 9pm because of criminals. Domestic conflicts are also increasing,’ she said.
Mr Emmanuel Tumusiimwe, the husband of Nalugo, said he learnt of the attack through his daughter, who had been with her mother at the time.
‘My daughter told me that Posiano had attacked them, but she managed to run away. We did not know whether her mother had survived until we found her lying in a pool of blood,’ he said.
Mr Robert Tumusiime of the Internal Security Organisation (ISO) in Ibanda appealed to residents to provide information that could lead to the suspect’s arrest but cautioned against mob justice.
‘We ask members of the public to cooperate with security agencies and share any information that may help us track down the suspect. However, they should not take the law into their own hands,’ he said.
Ibanda Deputy Resident District Commissioner Mr Godfrey Guma Nabireba confirmed the killings and said investigations had commenced.
‘We have started investigations into the incident and hope the public will cooperate with us. We shall apprehend him because he is still making phone calls to people, and we are following up those leads,’ Mr Nabireba remarked.
The killings come amid continued concern over violent crime and domestic-related deaths in Uganda. According to the annual police crime report, 9,651 people were killed in homicide cases and traffic incidents in 2025, down slightly from 9,749 deaths recorded in 2024.