Museveni’s UN Secretary-General endorsement came as a surprise – Otunnu

Uganda’s nominee for the position of United Nations Secretary-General, Olara Otunnu, has revealed that he never intended to contest for the world’s top diplomatic office, saying his nomination by President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni came as a surprise.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with this reporter on Tuesday, Otunnu said the nomination unfolded “rapidly”.

‘This is not something I was plotting to do or angling to be a candidate or working towards. It came very suddenly and moved very fast. It was a bit of a roller coaster,” Otunnu said.

Otunnu said he was deeply honored by President Museveni and the Ugandan government’s decision to nominate him, describing the endorsement as a privilege to represent Uganda on the global stage.

The nomination marks a dramatic shift in his relationship with government. More than three decades ago, his reported bid to secure Uganda’s endorsement for the same position failed to materialize amid political differences.

Asked to explain the ‘sudden’ change, Otunnu declined to speculate on President Museveni’s decision, saying the focus should be on the present. “What I’m focusing on now is that the government, the President and the country have seen it fit to nominate Olara Otunnu on this occasion. I remain Olara Otunnu, my convictions, my views and my dream for Uganda and Africa remain the same,” he said.

Otunnu insisted that accepting the government’s endorsement did not mean abandoning his long-held political beliefs or criticisms of President Museveni. “What is important is not the divergence between President Museveni and me. What is important is that despite our differences and despite the unfortunate history, we as Ugandans have been mature enough to say we have a national project that can bring us together for the honor and benefit of the country,” he said.

The veteran diplomat was endorsed by President Museveni last week for the UN Secretary-General position. He joins six other aspiring candidates to replace António Guterres.

Other contenders include Rebeca Grynspan of Costa Rica, a former Vice President and early frontrunner in Security Council straw polls; Rafael Grossi of Argentina, Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA); former Chilean President Michelle Bachelet; former UN General Assembly President María Fernanda Espinosa of Ecuador; former Senegalese President Macky Sall; and Carolyn Rodrigues Birkett of Guyana.

Former State Minister for Foreign Affairs Henry Okello Oryem on Tuesday praised President Museveni for endorsing Otunnu, describing the move as “historic and timely”. “I thank President Museveni, in his respectful wisdom, for this timely and historical action, to not only nominate Dr Otunnu but also give a son of the soil an opportunity and possible chance to represent Uganda and Africa in this very high office,” Oryem said.

Oryem urged Ugandans to rally behind the former UN diplomat in what he described as a difficult but significant international contest.

Otunnu previously served as Uganda’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations from 1980 to 1985 and as Minister of Foreign Affairs from 1985 to 1986. He later served as UN Under-Secretary-General and Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict from 1997 to 2005.

Otunnu, who has been a fierce critic of President Museveni, returned to Uganda in November 2009 after more than two decades in exile. He led the opposition Uganda People’s Congress (UPC) between 2010 and 2015 and contested against President Museveni for the presidency in 2011 but lost.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *