Security agencies in Lira City have restored order after a protest by boda boda operators temporarily paralysed traffic along the busy Lira-Soroti Highway on Monday, leading to the arrest of 15 suspected ringleaders.
The riders blocked the highway in protest against the arrest of some of their colleagues over the non-payment of a controversial Shs35,000 registration fee.
The road blockade disrupted movement on a key transport corridor linking Uganda to Kenya and South Sudan through the eastern route, forcing security agencies to intervene.
Addressing journalists on Monday evening, police condemned the protest, describing it as unlawful and unnecessary.
North Kyoga regional police spokesperson SP Patrick Jimmy Okema said officers, together with other security agencies, cleared the blockade and arrested individuals believed to have organised the demonstration.
‘We would like to disagree with the actions of our brothers from the boda boda industry within Lira City. We therefore condemn very strongly that the approach that members have taken to show their grievance was uncalled for,’ Mr Okema said.
He added: ‘There are many other alternative dispute resolution mechanisms they could have pursued, including approaching the relevant offices so that their concerns are heard.’
Police said investigations have commenced and those arrested will be prosecuted individually based on their level of involvement in the protest.
Mr Okema said police are compiling case files and will consult the Resident Chief State Attorney before determining the specific charges to be preferred against the suspects.
Lira Resident City Commissioner Lawrence Egole dismissed reports circulating on social media suggesting that businesses had been burnt and the city shut down, describing them as misleading.
‘Security agencies intervened immediately to ensure that normal business operations could resume,’ Mr Egole said.
He added that calm had been restored shortly after the protest erupted and business activities continued as normal.
Lira City Mayor Sam Atul defended the ongoing digital registration exercise for boda boda operators, saying it is intended to improve security and eliminate duplication of rider identification records.
According to city authorities, the registration programme seeks to streamline operations in the transport sector and strengthen efforts to combat crime involving motorcycles.
The protest highlights growing tensions between some boda boda operators and city authorities over the implementation of the registration exercise and the associated fees.
Police warned against future acts of lawlessness, saying grievances should be addressed through lawful channels rather than disrupting public transport and business activities.