The Special Adviser on Religion (Islam) to the Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Dr Abdullahi Jebe, has disclosed that the Lagos State Government upgraded the accommodation of its pilgrims at Mina in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to Tent B plus to ensure comfort and a stress-free Hajj exercise.
Jebe, who also serves as chairman of the state ad hoc committee on the 2026 Hajj, made this known during an interview with Nigerian journalists on Wednesday at the state’s hotel accommodation in Misfala, Makkah, while giving an overview of this year’s Hajj exercise.
He stated that Lagos State had consistently remained a model for Hajj operations in Nigeria, noting that several other states often adopt its operational methods.
According to him, Sanwo-Olu was continuing the Hajj legacy established by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu during his tenure as Lagos State governor between 1999 and 2007.
Jebe explained that Tinubu standardised Hajj operations in Lagos State and ended the practice of private agents transporting pilgrims from the state to Saudi Arabia despite the existence of the Lagos State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board since 1975.
‘There is no way we want to talk of Hajj without talking of Mr President because he was the one who refined Hajj in Lagos during his time as governor.
‘The Lagos State Muslim Welfare Board was enacted in 1975 but they brought their pilgrims through agents until 1999 when Tinubu came on board.
‘He directed that pilgrims should come through their various local government councils instead. That has been the tradition we have been using since then. He now refined it that we should have ulamas (clerics), we should have Hajj guides to educate, enlighten and guide the pilgrims during the Hajj exercise,’ Jebe said.
He added that Tinubu also bought sacrificial rams for Lagos pilgrims throughout his tenure and ensured they were fed on the Day of Arafat.
The governor’s aide said the standard set by Tinubu was sustained by successive governors in Lagos State, adding that Sanwo-Olu had further improved the welfare package for pilgrims.
‘Sanwo-Olu has gone further by upgrading our tent (at Mina) from Tent D where Nigerian pilgrims normally stay to Tent B plus, which has all the necessary comfort,’ he said.
Jebe further disclosed that the governor remained committed to ensuring that Lagos pilgrims enjoyed a comfortable stay in Saudi Arabia during the Hajj exercise, noting that the state government consistently provided additional support for them.
According to him, ‘If you pay money, the governor will now put another package to it to make it robust and make the Hajj convenient and comfortable for the pilgrims,’ he said, adding that Sanwo-Olu deserved commendation for the initiative.
Speaking on the relationship between Lagos State and the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), Jebe described it as cordial and productive, noting that the commission remained the central coordinating body for Hajj operations in Nigeria.
‘The synergy with NAHCON has been good and very, very cordial, because we do whatever they wanted we do.
‘Whenever they give an instruction, we follow it. NAHCON is the arrowhead of Hajj when you are talking about Nigeria, because no state is recognised. All the states have to come through NAHCON.
‘Whenever we are talking about Hajj in Nigeria, we talk about National Hajj Commission, which used to be Directorate of Pilgrims Affairs under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,’ he said.
He also expressed satisfaction that the current NAHCON Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Ambassador Ismail Abba Yusuf, was among those involved in establishing the commission in 2003.
Jebe urged Lagos pilgrims to remain good ambassadors of the state and Nigeria throughout the Hajj exercise, while also calling on all Nigerian pilgrims to obey Allah’s regulations and continue praying for peace, security and development in the country.