Ministers of Interior Konstantinos Ioannou and Labour Marinos Moushouttas reaffirmed the Government’s commitment to reach a Cyprus solution and enhance the Republic’s international role, in speeches on Thursday marking the 52nd anniversary of the coup of 15 July 1974.
Interior Minister Ioannou, who was addressing a commemorative event at the Kykkos Monastery Cultural Foundation in Archangelos on behalf of the President on Thursday evening, stressed that resolving the Cyprus issue remains the top priority of the President and the Greek Cypriot side. He said the aim is “the transformation of the Republic of Cyprus into a modern, reunited European state, member of the European Union and the United Nations.”
“With a sense of responsibility towards the people of Cyprus and with full awareness of our historic mission, we are consistently working to create the conditions for the resumption of negotiations for a comprehensive settlement of the Cyprus problem, on the basis of the agreed United Nations framework, the negotiating acquis and the principles, values and law of the European Union,” he said.
Ioannou also highlighted efforts to bolster foreign policy, strategic partnerships and Cyprus’s role in the EU, noting a recent significant diplomatic push “recognized by the international community and reinforced by our country’s upgraded role as a reliable partner in the European Union and the wider region”.
He underlined that the coup of 15 July 1974, organised by the Athens junta and executed by local collaborators, targeted democracy and weakened the island’s defences, creating conditions exploited by Turkey’s illegal invasion. He called for unity and continued condemnation of both the coup and the occupation and praised the work of the Committee for the Registry of Resistance Fighters as vital to preserving collective memory and transmitting the lesson that democracy is never guaranteed.
Separately, Labour and Social Insurance Minister Marinos Moushouttas, speaking at Agia Marina Kythreas church service in Kaimakli, Nicosia, conveyed President Nikos Christodoulides’ assurance that resolving the Cyprus problem is the Government’s top priority. “Having as our mandate from the sovereign people the liberation and reunification of our homeland, we are working to create the conditions for the resumption of direct negotiations for a comprehensive settlement,” he said.
Moushouttas added that Cyprus “is not alone” in its efforts, citing EU partners, member states and other countries, and praised the Republic’s role during its successful EU Council Presidency in strengthening the Union’s strategic autonomy. He reiterated the shared goal of a modern European state where all lawful residents live in security and prosperity.
The coup staged by the Athens’ junta against the elected government of President Makarios on July 15, 1974, served Turkey as a pretext to impose its divisive plans against Cyprus. On July 20, 1974, Turkey invaded Cyprus, violating all rules of international law, including the Charter of the United Nations. The illegal Turkish invasion was carried out in two phases. During the second phase, Turkey took the city of Famagusta, under its control and illegally occupies over 36% of the territory of the Republic of Cyprus ever since.
Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results due to Turkish intransigence. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.