Residents of Muiyibwe fishing community in Lugala Zone, Lugoba Parish, Ssibukumi Sub County, spent Saturday stranded after suspected goons dug a ditch across the only road connecting them to the rest of the village.
The ditch, dug on the night of Friday, July 31, lies less than a kilometer from the lakeside community toward the village centre, blocking vehicles and making movement difficult for more than 2,000 residents.
Residents told the Monitor the attackers are allegedly linked to the late city criminal Ssobi, who was killed in a land dispute last year.
‘They were deployed on the land by people who claim to own 640 acres on Plot 491, Block 2,’ one resident said.
The land is at the center of a court battle between Kiziba Estates and Sir Henry Morgan and Associates Limited, with each side claiming ownership.
Locals accuse the goons of terrorising them since last year.
‘I acquired 100 acres on this land 10 years ago but three years ago people from Sir Henry Morgans who claim to be owners of the land started threatening to evict me. Since then goons have destroyed my farm on a daily basis, they beat up my workers, destroy my properties. I have really suffered,’ said Mr Rugumayo, a kibanja holder.
Mr Fredrick Wilson Sselwanise, an estate manager for Kiziba Estate, condemned the attack and called for urgent intervention.
‘Whenever they learn about our presence or coming, they hide and choose to terrorize residents when we go away. We have the title of this land because it’s a Leopard clan land which was given to our grandfather by the Kabaka of Buganda,’ Sselwanise said.
He added that he and other residents will file a case with police on Sunday and return to the land with leaders for a village meeting.
The outgoing village chairperson, Mr Joseph Walugembe, said he had not yet visited the scene.
‘I have not been in the village but upon my return, I received a call just 20 minutes ago about this incident and have not yet personally gone there but once I visit the scene tomorrow, I will be able to give an elaborate comment,’ he said.
The case over the 640 acres is currently before Lugazi High Court.