President Museveni has declared that African countries will continue supporting Somalia’s peace and stabilization efforts, even if the United States and other international partners withdraw financial and logistical support for the African Union mission.
Speaking on the final day of the Extraordinary Summit of Heads of State of Troop-Contributing Countries to the African Union Support and Stabilization Mission in Somalia (AUSSOM) at Speke Resort Munyonyo on Friday, President Museveni emphasized that Africa has repeatedly overcome security challenges through regional solidarity rather than external assistance.
“If the international community wants to pull out, let them. All the problems we have solved here, we solved without their support. We got support from our brothers. When we fought Amin, it was Tanzania and Mozambique. On Sudan, it was us. Somalia will not be abandoned. We have the capacity. Whether others pull out or not, we shall stand,” Mr. Museveni said.
He cited Africa’s historic liberation struggles as evidence that the continent possesses the resilience to confront its security challenges. Defending Uganda’s ongoing military deployment in Somalia, Mr. Museveni noted that the intervention was driven by regional security imperatives and principle rather than foreign interests.
According to the President, Uganda deployed troops after extremist groups attempted to use violence to impose their ideology, threatening peace across the Horn of Africa. He added that Uganda also acted in solidarity with Ethiopia, which faced growing threats from armed groups operating from Somalia and Sudan.
“When therefore we decided to involve ourselves in Somalia, it was out of principle and strategy. We did not accept the chauvinism of Islamic groups who come here and waste our time… The second reason was to extend solidarity to Ethiopia… We had to stand with them,” he said.
The Munyonyo summit was convened amid growing uncertainty surrounding the future financing of AUSSOM after the United States informed the African Union on July 1, 2026, that it would not support renewing the mission’s mandate when it comes before the United Nations Security Council in December.
The decision comes as Washington reviews funding for several UN and international peace support operations.
Despite the financial headwinds, continental leadership reaffirmed its commitment to Somalia’s security transition, demanding predictable financing aligned with African-led priorities.
Briefing delegates at the summit, the Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Mr. Mahmoud Ali Youssouf, highlighted three core messages from the continental body regarding the future of the peacekeeping mission.
“I wish to assure the government and people of Somalia that the Commission will continue to mobilize all the political, diplomatic, and financial support necessary for the success of this mission,” Mr. Youssouf assured.
Mr. Youssouf also paid tribute to the African troops serving under AUSSOM, praising their professionalism, discipline, and sacrifices in helping restore stability to the region.
Uganda became the first country to deploy troops to Somalia in 2007 under the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM). Since then, the Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) have played a pivotal role alongside the Somali National Army in liberating key territories from the Al-Shabaab militant group and safeguarding critical government infrastructure.
In 2024, AMISOM transitioned into AUSSOM, shifting focus toward strengthening Somali national security institutions, protecting civilians, and facilitating a gradual, full transfer of security responsibilities to Somali forces.
The summit concluded with participating Heads of State issuing a joint communique reaffirming their commitment to AUSSOM and calling on global partners to ensure sustainable, long-term financing to safeguard regional stability.