Electricity being restored in Baguio, Benguet amid torrential rains, strong winds

Power restoration efforts by the Benguet Electric Cooperative (BENECO) continued across Baguio City and Benguet on Sunday, August 9, despite heavy rains and strong winds battering the area.

As of noon, BENECO said 28.96% of its consumers in Baguio City had been restored with electricity, with power available in 44 of the 129 barangays.

Across BENECO’s entire area of responsibility, 37.32% of consumers currently have electricity as crews work to repair damaged power facilities. Out of total 269 barangays in Baguio and Benguet, only 95 barangays have been re-energized.

Initial assessment placed the cost of damage at more than P1.5 million, although BENECO said the figure remains provisional and is expected to rise as additional damage reports come in.

The cooperative reported damage to at least seven transformers and 22 electric posts amid the continuing inclement weather.

BENECO teams remain deployed in various areas to restore power as quickly and safely as possible, but operations continue to be challenged by persistent rain, strong winds and potentially hazardous conditions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *