Flight operations have been disrupted at major airports across Nigeria following the picketing of domestic airlines by three aviation unions over unpaid charges owed aviation agencies.
The unions involved are the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Air Transport Services Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (ATSSSAN) and Trade Union Congress (TUC).
Sources at the Lagos airport said the industrial action was triggered by the refusal of domestic airlines to remit billions of naira owed aviation agencies from ticket, cargo and charter sales charges.
The picketing has led to the barricading of entrances to the departure terminals at Murtala Muhammed Airport Terminal 1, comprising the Alpha and Zulu terminals, and Terminal 2 in Lagos.
The Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport terminal in Abuja has also been affected.
The blockade has restricted access to the terminals, preventing scheduled flights from departing Lagos and Abuja and leaving thousands of passengers travelling across the network stranded or unable to access their flights.
One of the affected airlines, Air Peace, confirmed that its operations had been disrupted by the industrial action.
In a statement, the airline said, ‘We wish to inform our esteemed passengers and the general flying public of temporary disruptions to our flight operations arising from the picketing of our airline and the ongoing industrial action by members of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Air Transport Services Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (ATSSSAN), and the Trade Union Congress (TUC).’
Air Peace apologised to affected passengers for the disruption and inconvenience, saying the situation was beyond its control.
It said passengers scheduled to travel later in the day were being contacted and provided with updates as the situation evolved.
‘We will continue to closely monitor developments and will provide further updates as necessary,’ the airline said.
‘We appreciate the patience and understanding of our passengers as we navigate this situation.’
Speaking on the development, ATSSSAN National President, John Ogbe, confirmed that the action followed the expiration of successive 14-day, seven-day and three-day ultimatums issued to the airlines.
Ogbe said a recent intervention meeting convened by the Ministry of Aviation ended without progress after the Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON) declined to engage with the unions.
He warned that the picketing could be extended to all remaining domestic airports nationwide from Tuesday if the dispute is not resolved.
Reacting to the development, the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) appealed to the unions to exercise restraint.
In a statement signed by its Director-General, Captain Chris Najomo, the regulator expressed regret over the severe inconvenience caused to passengers and said the Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo, was actively working to resolve the dispute.
The NCAA assured the travelling public that safety oversight remained fully uncompromised and urged all parties to return to the negotiating table to enable normal flight operations to resume as soon as possible.